homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Whatcha get? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Whatcha get?
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted December 27, 2005 08:54      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Santa/Satan/Festivus Elves/Loved Ones brought me a ton of chocolate, a cell phone with accessories, Tim Horton Gift Certificates, and best of all, hand knit socks. [Big Grin]
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2005 09:40      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oddly enough, my father, whom I never see except on holidays, was the only member of my family who actually followed my gift list. I really didn't want to receive "stuff" this year 'cause I really don't need it, so I told my family to give money to charity. Well, Dad gave 10 chickens to farmers in Croatia through Mennonite Central Committee and Ten Thousand Villages. (He also gave me $100 in cash.) I'm really excited about the chickens, though. I just hope whoever gets them can really make a go of it.

I was really impressed by my own gift-giving abilities. I gave my mom a bracelet, which I had won at a private craftshow doorprize. Mom had practically drooled over it, so I was thrilled when our pastor's wife (who made the bracelet) called to tell me I won. Mom was just totally flabbergasted when she opened her present and realized it was the bracelet she wanted!

I also found a really awesome shoulderbag at a consignment shop and put a blouse in it for my youngest sister. I thought I bought a size large, but when I got it home I realized it said "PXL" on the tag. I tied a ribbon around the body of the purse and left it at that. Both sisters proceeded to declare their desire for the purse in the days leading up to Christmas Eve... too much fun! Nellie was happy when I gave her the purse, but all of us were really shocked when the blouse inside fit her perfectly! (Nellie takes after me in that she's very buxom.) Consignment store shopping can be really hit-or-miss, but this year I hit a grand slam! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2005 09:45      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Five pairs of socks

A few plain, long-sleeve shirts from Old Navy (I can wear them under sweaters and blazers and such)

The big gift was a small digital camcorder, but it only came with four AAA batteries so I need to go out and hunt for a Li-ion battery somewhere.

I also got an electric blanket. That thing is a blessing and a curse: I love it because I'm usually cold at night, but it makes me sleep like a baby. This morning I didn't wake up until noon [blush]

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
toobe

Member # 3783

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2005 09:55      Profile for toobe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A new set of juggling balls, some juggling scarves, a copy of the Tao, a record cleaning brush, and the latest CD from my favouritest band ever (it's been a little hard to come by in our backwater city).

--------------------
Studies show reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it.

Posts: 175 | From: Victoria, BC | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
maia
Alpha Geek
Member # 3778

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2005 10:05      Profile for maia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My best present was probably the cheapest present I've ever gotten.

When I was very young, I had a small stuffed animal that was like a security blanket for me. I took it everywhere. Any picture of me taken before four years shows me dragging "wakki" around by an arm or leg. Then, one day, I left him in a store somewhere. Before my parents could realize, we'd left the store and I started crying for wakki. My dad even went back to the store and looked for him, even talked to employees there telling them to keep an eye out, but he was never found. I cried for days, and never forgot my beloved wakki.

So, this year, my mom had the weird urge to search on line for "Guaca Mole" (the original name of the toy on the tag). And there, in a flood of recipes for guacamole, was an ebay listing for a small stuffed toy in original condition. She bought it immediately.

I opened it Christmas morning in disbelief. It's the exact same toy! It has the original tag on it, and everything. The only difference is that this one is bright pink, and my old one had faded to a dull grey.

So, anyway, that is my best Christmas present this year. Just a couple bucks for a little piece of my childhood.

--------------------
Nothing is too petty to be thoroughly discussed.

Posts: 316 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
i_need_a_pillow
Geek
Member # 2765

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2005 10:31      Profile for i_need_a_pillow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been told that I have another present or two in the mail somewhere, but here's what I've received so far:

A bumbakpak for all my stuff,
The first BOFH book (I'd asked for it last year, but ThinkGeek didn't have it in stock),
A literature reference book to help me with my various papers, and
a shirt.

I'd say my gift-giving went well this year; I gave several of the girls on the newspaper staff chocolate, I gave one of my friends a towel (he's a big Hitchhiker's Guide fan), I gave books to several people, and I gave my brother a Sega Saturn and a brand new copy of NiGHTS Into Dreams, which was no small task to find. I've never seen him happier.

--------------------
The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.

Posts: 104 | From: I'm here. Where else? | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2005 11:11      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I received an IOU for a CD from The Ditty Bops and a promise that certain Japanese candies will accompany it. Now if someone will just get off her butt and actually ship the stuff to me... [Wink]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2005 11:40      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DVDs! Yay!

Pi, Family Guy: Stewie Griffin: The Untold Story, Microcosmos, Team America, Sin City, and Nathan Barley.

(Actually, those tast three were for my birthday, but the two celebrations seem to merge into one in my mind.)

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2005 11:46      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing.

In my family, if you stop asking for things, every gratuity that someone else gives you becomes more and more outrageous. I don't demand gifts (it isn't a gift if you have to coerce someone into giving it), so I don't receive any. I haven't received a birthday or holiday gift for the last three years.

This year, I didn't get them anything in return, though. I spent the money I had set aside for them on charity instead. Much more fulfilling.

Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2005 12:18      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$200 USD and a Metallica T-Shirt.

the cash is going towards an iPod.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2005 12:42      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
iTunes Money, Xbox 360 w/ games, bose system for my iPod. And gift cards galore. Oh and my dad's boss slipped me a $100
Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2005 13:03      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maia, how cool!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't get anything too exciting. I did get a cordless screwdriver that I wanted. Mike got me a necklace made from a starfish fossil. I collect fossils, so that was neat.

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2005 14:29      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Grummash family were very generous to me, and I received many wondrous things... a biography of L DaVinci, a good bottle of Scotch, CDs, a new HDD for the Thinkpad...it has been just lovely [Big Grin]

oh, and some crunchy coffee beans coated in dark chocolate... excellent [Smile]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tom- geeking around

Member # 2876

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2005 14:31      Profile for Tom- geeking around   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I finally got my hands on my saxophone, we picked it up on the 23rd. -> Austrians and germans celebrate XMas on the 24th!
So the saxophone was under the tree because my dad paid 500 euros, and my grandfather gave me 600 in cash to support my investment.
Except that, I got DVD's:
- War of the Worlds - Sin City - The Amityville Horror- "Six Feet Under" Season 3 on DVD--

My mom bought me a red sweater and some Absinthe.
Since I already bought a bottle of (cheap) Absinthe, she bought me some better Absinthe, two glasses and a spoon (that is almost like a fork) to burn the sugar on it.

Pic: here, me with my sax.
 -

Cheers!
Thomas

--------------------
Pizza and ginormous jugs is what I need!

Posts: 374 | From: Vienna | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2005 15:51      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's gorgeous! How does it sound? And, is that a real tree?

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2005 16:02      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, I got a few miscellaneous things, a camp stretcher, a set of shot glasses, and the Star Wars clone war cartoon dvd.

And for myself, I got a new mobile (cell) phone, and a new computer (still hasn't arrived .. grrr....)

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tom- geeking around

Member # 2876

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2005 16:04      Profile for Tom- geeking around   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks firesnake!
It's supposed to sound like the world famous 60's "Selmer Mark 6" that many musicians played, but just brought up to date.
I play it with a Rico Royal Select Jazz 2H reed, in combination with a Meyer M6M mouthpiece..

The sound is very rich, full and can go from a whisper to a scream - but sometimes the sound isn't as good as I want it to be. I am not really used to the instrument yet, it'll take me a few days of practise..

And -- yes, that is a REAL tree.
Why are you asking?

Cheers,
Thomas

--------------------
Pizza and ginormous jugs is what I need!

Posts: 374 | From: Vienna | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2005 16:11      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish I had my sax out here.

I got to spend time with my bothers. We watched a movie, played volleyball, wrestled with my CO, passed out christmas cards, had a mail call.

ChemGeek
Mini Geek
Member # 3124

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2005 17:58      Profile for ChemGeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Season 1 of Stargate Atlantis. [Smile] I only need seasons 4, 6, and 8 of SG-1 to complete my collection.

--------------------
Experience is directly proportional to the amount of equipment ruined.

Posts: 62 | From: Armpit of America | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2005 18:42      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Squid earrings. Don't ask. My brohter also gave me a two liter bottle of Diet Coke and money for getting my snowboard tuned. In yet another example of great minds thinking alike (or maybe what happens when grown siblings live together far too long) I paid to have both our boards tuned before going to Seattle, so he got a tuned snowboard and a can of water chestnuts. The can went under the tree. The sharpened and waxed snowboard is waiting for him in CO.

I also got some other truly and honestly lovely, thoughtful, and fun gifts, but the squid earrings and bottle of pop take the prize. The cheese grater my boyfriend gave me comes in close behind. I'd kill him except he gave me a Thermarest. I am easily won over with outdoor gear. :/

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2005 18:58      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xanthine wrote:
Squid earrings. Don't ask.

But... what if we really want to ask? [Smile]

At least post a picture of'em. They sound quite unique (but then again, with diet coke, canned chestnuts and cheese graters being handed out, your whole Christmas sounds rather unique).

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2005 19:33      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We commies have an equivalent of Christmas on New Year's eve (tree, gifts, ze soviet santa clause known as grandpa frost, but none of the lame religious stuff,) so gift-getting and giving will have to wait till then.

Steen: almighty google states that squid earrings might look something like this.

Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2005 20:30      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's about right, except mine are pink. They are by far and away the dangliest earrings I have ever worn. I can't wait to wear them to work. [evil]

I think Santa bought them at Archie McPhee, but don't quote me on that. And Steen, my whole family is unique. I arrived on Christmas Eve and before my mom could even give me a hug my sister, brother, and I were taking turns throwing each other.

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2005 21:31      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
That's about right, except mine are pink. They are by far and away the dangliest earrings I have ever worn. I can't wait to wear them to work. [evil]

Gasp!

You have been touched by His noodly appendage!

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2005 21:48      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I received nothing that tops squid earrings. Now I'm jealous. [Frown]

But I did get a chubby plaster penguin with big feet. He watches over my computer room with the authority of the Gods of Olympus. He will smite all who dare enter without jiggly fish. ¡Cuidado!

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture