homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » How was your 2005? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: How was your 2005?
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted December 21, 2005 09:42      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xanthine's last post about her 2005 got me thinking (and all the best to Xanthine, and her sis, btw.)

With less than 10 days remaining in 2005 (less for those east of me. [Smile] ), looking back on it, what did you accomplish? Was it a good year? Did you learn anything? Did anything get worse?

For me, 2005 was a spiral.

- I moved twice.
- I moved back from Ottawa to Kitchener.
- I asked Amanda to marry me, and set a date.
- I started two new jobs, the last of which I just got a big fat raise from.
- My business has started taking off in the last month or two to the point where I can barely keep up.
- I visited family in Newfoundland in the summer.

That's all that comes to mind at the moment, but I'd say all in all, 2005 was a good year. 2004 kind of sucked aside from meeting Amanda, and I plan on 2006 being AWESOME in terms of business and my personal life.

How was your 2005? Any outlook for 2006?

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2005 10:59      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
  • Found out I was pregnant
  • Josh passed his written exam
  • Josh;s parents split up
  • Visited Eureka and Arcata where Josh gew up
  • My dad flew back from Michigan and I got to see him for the first time in 6 months
  • I had my baby
  • Josh passed his practical exam
  • Visited with in-laws from Kansas in San Francisco
  • My mother officially filed for legal separation after 21 years of marriage and 2 1/2 years of counseling
  • We moved into a much nicer apartment in a much nicer neighborhood

With a little one around, I imagine 2006 will be much more interesting.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2005 11:34      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not much happened of consequence but:

The water pipes in my apartment constantly sprung leaks, ruining a lot of stuff until the landlord finally decided to replace them all, instead of just patching them.

There was a gas leak so there were plumbers in and out of my place for a week looking for it and ripping up drywall (Which still hasn't been replaced).

My Mom's health took a turn for the worse. She had Basil Cell Carcinoma (a mild form of skin cancer that isn't as bad as it sounds), found out she had hyperthyroidism so she had to have radiation treatments to kill her thyroid, then go on medication, and now she's having breathing trouble (but it always seems to get worse in the winter months).

My Niece's husband got into some trouble with a federal law enforcement agency. All I can say is DO NOT USE ANY FILE SHARING PROGRAMS!

On the plus side, I decided to get back into making music and making contact with old friends I hadn't seen in a while. And it's been about four years of sobriety for me.

Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted December 21, 2005 11:56      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
And it's been about four years of sobriety for me.

That is quite an acomplishment, congratulations!

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2005 12:59      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmmmm

-First full year of motherhood - hard but great
-Work - kind of sucky this year
-My dad came through a couple of heart related surgeries okay - great
- Couple of expensive house repairs - UCK!!!!

Not much else. I hope next year is a little better and not over so fast. This year went by in a flash.

Congrats GMX. It is a wonderful accomplishment!

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2005 13:12      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2005 was ok - nothing earth shattering...

• got a couple of modest pay rises
  • minor collision in the car (some numbnut pulled out of a side street and then just stopped, right in front of me) no serious consequences.
  • some health issues for Mrs Grummash
  • one of the cats (Travis) went missing for 5 weeks, but came home in good health, if very underweight

Just life, really [Big Grin]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2005 14:00      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2005 was a pretty good and relatively busy year for the Club family. In roughly chronological order we:
  • Got our very first new mattress set (woohoo!)
  • Finally put in the nice walkway to the front steps we've been talking about since we bought the house
  • Took the Clublets to Niagara Falls
  • Finally added a storm door to the back entryway
  • Refinanced our mortgage for earlier payoff, lower interest/payments and a bit of cash out
  • Finally attached the step to the back end of the deck with screws, instead of the cinder blocks that came with the house [Wink]
  • Took two summer waterpark trips (one more than usual!)
  • Replaced the ceiling in the living room/dining room, added crown molding, and finally painted them a color other than the really gross white we inherited with the house.
  • Got our very first brand new "real" furniture, in the form of a sofa & loveseat. This, together with the ceiling project, is a saga for another thread sometime.
  • Were stunned when my parents suddenly sold the house I grew up in and moved from that small city to a farm town about half the old distance away from us. The ~400X increase in land (assuming my math is right) prompted them to buy a stack of books on raising goats. [Eek!]
  • Took a vacation in San Diego on my company's dime. I actually received the award last December, but didn't take it until October.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2005 14:14      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
302 Found
Location: http://www.geekculture.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=002289;p=1#000008

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2005 16:14      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
  • Went back to uni
  • moved out of Mom & Dad's house
  • found an apartment of my own, on my own
  • passed all my classes!! (A, B+, B, & C.. btw)
  • recorded my Christmas CD
  • became more spiritual and less religious

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2005 16:30      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
- First year of college. Seems to have gone well so far (grades are still trickling in).

- Second (and probably last) summer working for the same company.

- Learned cued speech and made plans to (hopefully) learn ASL in 2006.

- Got my driver's license.

Overall, a good year, with a few rough spots (transportation in a wheelchair is murder when you don't have a car anymore).

Oh, and I highly recommend "Murderball". Saw it this year; best documentary I've ever seen about disability, even though it mostly covers quads who were injured as adults. Pretty entertaining, as well.

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2005 16:44      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's been an up-and-down year for me:

• My youngest brother went on trial. He faced a lot of prison time if convicted, but was found innocent (after spending about 5-6 months in jail awaiting trial). [Frown]
  • I started dating the woman I've been close friends with for the last 8 years or so.
  • Work became extremely stressful the last several months, as my co-worker went on maternity leave sooner than expected (doctor's orders), then quit and moved away before returning.
  • I managed to get a much better handle on my migraines the last few months, in large part due to adjusting some habits after a thread on the topic here.
  • Oh, yeah. And I joined GeekCulture and became a Superfan. There's a nice highlight for the year. [Big Grin]

I have a feeling 2006 might be a pretty good year for me. [Smile]

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2005 16:53      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sxeptomaniac:

• My youngest brother went on trial. He faced a lot of prison time if convicted, but was found innocent (after spending about 5-6 months in jail awaiting trial). [Frown]

I remember you talking about that before. Glad to hear he was acquitted.

--------------------
—Miss Piggy

Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2005 19:11      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was a very good year for me! What my year was like basically depended on what I did during the year, since chance never gives me any breaks.

• Published a research paper.
  • Presented two other pieces of research at a conference.
  • Proved a very big open math question (publication slated for 2006).
  • Full of ideas for musical compositions (most on a tape recorder sitting next to my desk).
  • Got much better on the piano. I was wondering when I'd start seeing tangible improvements again.
  • Started a business, which will be ready to go-live in about a week.
  • In the process of starting another and applying for a patent, to prevent Google from stealing any more of my Summer of Code idea (but that's a rant for another time).
  • Survived the grad. school application process (an accomplishment in itself).
  • Aced the GRE.

On the other hand, there were a few things that got me down:

• Doing all of the aforementioned in a single year was extremely taxing. I'm burnt out!
  • My grandparents have been having all sorts of minor health problems. I'm fortunate that no one is dying or anything, but it's depressing to hear news such as my grandfather needing knee surgery or my grandmother falling and cracking a rib.
  • I don't have much free time anymore.
  • People still treat me like free tech. support/tutoring. They're starting to pounce on me when I have even a second of free time.
  • Still nothing on the dating scene (I wouldn't be here if I weren't a geek, after all).
  • I hate my new job (I work part-time for the government, not for money, but rather to satisfy my university's "experiential education" requirement). I will fortunately be able to leave it soon (debating whether or not I want to wait for my security clearance to come in first).

So yes, it was a pretty good year overall.

Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2005 19:51      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine was shit.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2005 19:56      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
Mine was shit.

Mine was a leaky septic tank

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
ChildeRoland
Alpha Geek
Member # 3880

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2005 20:29      Profile for ChildeRoland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine was like the shit soaked dirt surrounding a leaky septic tank.

--------------------
=====================
Childe Roland

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2005 21:45      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine was more like a cranky toilet. Sometimes it was great. Other times it was overflowing in shit. The Cliff Notes version is in YaYa's thread. The novel version will not be posted 'cuz I don't think anyone here, myself included, needs that. And, as I learned last year, the year ain't over until it's over.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2005 23:22      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
quote:
Originally posted by Sxeptomaniac:

I remember you talking about that before. Glad to hear he was acquitted.
I had forgotten that I'd mentioned it here. [crazy]

I stopped talking about it not long after he was acquitted. I had one conversation in particular with an online friend, who became upset with me when she found out what he had been accused of and that I believed he truly was innocent of the charges. It turns out she had been a victim of a similar crime, and it brought out some strong emotions in her. So I decided to shut my big mouth about the details. [ohwell]

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted December 22, 2005 00:06      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This past year, in some semblance of chronological order, I:

- Got another tattoo.
- Attempted to join the military, and was rejected from each branch for various reasons.
- Attempted to disappear completely and never be found. Came to my senses; did not dump the bastard.
- Had a very bad experience with a speed cocktail, a convention, and a philandering boyfriend. Did not dump the bastard.
- Left school. Got a job at the Apple store.
- Moved into a place in Arlington with one of my best friends.
- Dumped the bastard, finally.
- Acquired Sif, my baby spotted python.
- Went to the last night of ManRay, Boston's foremost goth and fetish club, before it was torn down.
- Defeated the fruit flies that were infesting my house, once and for all.
- Cut off the mohawk. I still miss it. [Frown]
- Dressed as Hunter S. Thompson for Halloween.
- Learned to drive, at the behest of an old friend who ordered me behind the wheel of his new car.
- Appeared in the Boston Globe, in an article about Kevin "Frostbyte" McCormick's death. Barely knew the guy.
- Started seriously getting into some semblance of shape.
- Quit my job at Apple and got a job at Geek Squad.

That about brings us up to date. It looks like a largely terrible year on paper, but it had some real high points and stand-out moments.

supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 22, 2005 00:39      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Time runs together in my mind in such a way that I cannot remember what was 2004 or 2005 or 2006. Since my graduation year is 2006, I keep thinking that this past semester has been 2006 when it was really the latter part of 2005. I was driving around today when I thought "Wait, is it springtime? Oh wait, there are decorations up, it must be around Christmas..." Maybe I'm just out of touch with the rest of the world [ohwell] I would look back through my blog archives, but I don't actually write about my life very much in there.

From what I remember:
-Trudged through junior year
-Passed five AP exams and flunked one
-Got a job as a paper pusher and then another job as a stage hand
-Took a trip through California with my mom
-Took another trip to Boston and NYC
-Got accepted into NC State (woo yay?) but still applying to several other schools
-Various quiz bowl-related successes and failures
-Trudged through first semester of senior year (not all it was cracked up to be)
-Various moments of [shake head] and [hearts] and [Big Grin] and [cry baby] , but I probably won't figure out what happened this year until several years from now.

Gee, now I feel like a dorky high school kid [Geek]

Forecast for 2006? Being a college freshman somewhere and possibly starting to learn Mandarin? That would be pretty exciting.

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 22, 2005 04:43      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My year has been... costly.

-I had a course which required the used of Mathlab. My iMac couldn't handle it, and I didn't feel like going to the computer lab too often, because of the below par bus services. So I bought a new iMac.
-The delivery company lost my new iMac [Mad] . Apple shipped me a new one, and I got the Tiger upgrade, even though the original order date was before the cutoff. [Applause]
-The new property evaluation for my condo kicked in, so I paid pretty much double taxes. [cry baby] for my bank account.
-I ordered my Smart car, had to pay 1k$ upfront.
-While looking for a brooch to hold a nice button-less wool jacket closed, I found a wonderfull opal pendant. Not an "ordinary" milky one, but a blazing blue-green gem. I had to buy it, then I bought two good-quality gold chains, one for this new pendant, one for an older pendant. Mucho pesos gone...
-Finally gor my Smart car, and had to pay for the snow tires and a few extra.
-As I now have a car, there are some things I on my to-buy list that couldn't be transported by bus (and didn't feel like paying for a taxi) that I could buy at last.
-And I went to the "Salon des métiers d'arts" (an artists and artisans craft show) in Montreal with my new car, and bought pretty much all my Christmas gifts there.

So I've been spending a lot, but I also continue setting money aside in a RRSP and a different saving account, plus paying back my mortgage.... It's nice to have a well-paying job. The only thing is the electric violin I was looking for will have to wait a bit.

Prospect for 2006: January will be my last payment on my student loans. Yay! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 22, 2005 05:26      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Mine was shit.

Shit. Luxury. When I was a kid we were lucky to have shit. All we could afford was cold piss.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
SilverBlade
Alpha Geek
Member # 3541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 22, 2005 07:24      Profile for SilverBlade   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its great to have a blog, I can just turn back my archives to remind myself of what has happened. But boy, has a LOT happened...

January:
1. Participated in my first semi-professional performance "Peter Pan"
2. Got an offer from Cambridge!

March:
1. Did my first "modeling" session as an angel. Fun!
2. Celebrated my second anniversary with my boyfriend.

April:
1. Got my very own digital camera.
2. Finished high school- finally!
3. Did my final exams.

May:
1. Had a graduation ball.

June:
1. Got my very first job.
2. Went to Shenzhen.

July:
1. Got over my fear of deep waters.
2. Got into Cambridge despite missing the offer.
3. Bought my first, very own laptop.
4. Went to my very first Anime Comics Festival - not going back there again!

September:
1. Went to the UK, and to Denmark.

October:
1. Started my first term at the Uni of Cambridge.

November:
1. Came back to Hong Kong.

December:
1. Broke up with boyfriend.
2. Turned 18.

Very eventful- turned a bit gloomy. But I am going to hang in there. [Smile]

--------------------
http://www.silver-blade.net

Posts: 303 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 22, 2005 07:40      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alfrin:
quote:
Mine was shit.

Mine was a leaky septic tank
At least you had a septic tank. We'd have killed to have a real septic tank. All we had was a plastic pail.

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted December 22, 2005 11:22      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
All we had was a plastic pail.
A plastic pail? Luxury. All we had was a paper bag....

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture