homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Transitions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Transitions
YaYawoman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2005 22:29      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone. I am having a very boring night at work and have a few minutes. These past few days I have been thinking about the different transitions that are taking place in my life right now, some good some bad. My father dying, exploring new employment options, deciding to become a student again, diving into the dating pool after 3 years on the beach.Appropriate in a way to have everything changing at this time---end of the year and all. Frankly I am feeling a bit frazzled at times.

What changes and challenges are facing you at this time? How are you coping? I am pretty much throwing this question out with the hope that some of you out there might have different ways of dealing with stress and issues that I may shamelessly steal and apply to my life.

Thank you very much. [Smile]

Posts: 765 | From: virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2005 22:40      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well YaYa,

Alcohol, nicotene, and false bravado always get me through tough times.

If that doesn't work, ostrich impressions will usually help for a while. [Smile]

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted December 20, 2005 22:45      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi YaYawoman

You certainly have a lot going on! But today is the Solstice, and the turning of the year, and therefore the ideal point to expect to see all your efforts start to bear fruit.

The biggest challenge I am facing at the momemt isn't really mine, it's Mrs Grummash's depression flaring up again. She has suffered depression all her life, and sometimes it's ok, but at the moment things are difficult.

Mrs G has reduced her hours a little at work, changed her job so she doesn't have any staff to manage, and changed her medication. So, with the meditation and regular exercise things should pick up soon.

Hopefully, the holidays will be a little more relaxed [Big Grin]

I don't think that there is much in my post that you might learn from, but I hope you continue to face your challenges with a positive spirit. [Smile]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2005 22:55      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Finding affordable, acceptable housing is a b**ch. The one apartment I saw today was lovely and dirt cheap, but I'd have to share a room. With my schedule, that would prove difficult for her, most likely. The other place I saw today wasn't fit for livestock, let alone humans. I'm getting so discouraged by this process. Plus, I'm fighting a cold and I'm having day surgery on Thursday, which will leave me with only one good hand for the next few weeks. I have to trust that God has everything in His control and that He'll provide for me, but it doesn't come easy!

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ugurcan

Member # 4746

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2005 03:21      Profile for Ugurcan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi YaYa,

Wow, that's a lot of change [crazy] . Shroom has a point, Alcohol and nicotene is good for handling hard times, but there's no point in harming yourself any further. It is best to stick with caffeine for a while. [Wink]

The biggest challenge I'm facing at the moment is my diabetes. I was diagnosed for about 2 years ago after a coma and it's taking a lot of time to take care of it. 4 times a day I have to take insulin and make regular visits to my doctor throughout the year. Everything is going fine so far. I have to be very careful about what I eat and do regular exercise to keep fit.

Anyway it has given me a positive look to things going on around me, and I feel very well because I'm under continious control. In fact I'm healtier than my doctor now [Smile]

--------------------
"Constants aren't, Variables won't..."

Posts: 219 | From: Under a 110 ft satellite dish... | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2005 09:05      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A lot of people end up healthier than their doctors. It's one of the little paradoxes of medecine.

I hope things get sorted out with minimal pain YaYa. Transitions are hard. Even if you want them to happen. And it's worse when you don't.

Not much is happening to me right now. I'm going back to Seattle in a couple days. Mostly I'm trying to sort out and come to terms with the year. 2005 took me for a bit of a ride. It opened up with my sister's cancer coming back and that kinda cast a shadow on everything. I took my qualifier earlier than my advisor would have liked just so I could be ready to jump a plane or drive home if something happened with her surgery. Well, I passed the exam and guess what, something happened with her surgery and they had to open her up again and that's when I skipped town. On Valentine's Day. They gave her a course of rather nasty chemotherapy that was supposed to last eight months but got ended three months early because the drug was killing her. She's doing much better now. As for me, I went to Scotland, went to the French Alps, got my second degree black belt in aikido (now that I didn't see coming) and solved a crystal structure. And there's been oodles of drama out of my youngest sister who can't forgive my parents for sending her off to college. Roller coaster. I'm kinda tired now. :/

Still, in the end, I really don't have anything to complain about. No one died. We won't know if they really got Sisthine's cancer for a few years, but hey, it's gone for now.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
maia
Alpha Geek
Member # 3778

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2005 09:49      Profile for maia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like everybody's had a heck of a year.

I feel like I've just now started to adjust to the new life I started about a year and a half ago (new city, new boyfriend, new school, new field of study, becoming an adult [ohwell] ). I went through some majorly crappy times, but I've made it to the other side feeling pretty good about everything.

One thing that always helps me through tough times is faith. For me, that's not necessarily faith in God, but faith in myself. I see these changes as challenges and ways for me to grow. I've come to rely on myself more, but also be open and communicate with others. The cultivation of a few key relationships in my life has given me a cushion for those days when life just really knocks the crap out of me. I try not to worry too much and just believe that, somehow, I'm gonna find my way in the world.

--------------------
Nothing is too petty to be thoroughly discussed.

Posts: 316 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2005 10:08      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only change coming for me is that I can no longer delay the research part of my Master. All my courses are done with. My average is 3.63/4.3, which is lower than I would like. At least, I passed all my courses, and if I get good grades on the project and thesis, I could raise it to close enought to 4 to get into a Doctorate program. But that's for another year.

Edit: but for recent changes, there's having a car of my own. Oh, and I still love it!

(Home: check! - 2004 Car: check! - 2005 Lover: still missing. Maybe in 2006? [Big Grin] )

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2005 13:01      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm...this has been a mostly uneventful year for me. I probably need to do some things a bit differently next year.

Stuff that's happened this year...
Got a Mac! [Big Grin]
Learned PHP. [Frown]
Got to essentially make an iBook my own for said development. [Smile]
Got the horrible taste out of my mouth by hacking Perl on it as well. [Smile] [Smile]
Did a lot of the above while hanging out in a friend's coffee shop. [Big Grin]
Hmm...there was something else I was going to add, but I'm still quite forgetful...

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2005 16:20      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Winter transportation in a wheelchair is making my life difficult right now ... especially since I don't have a car. Would you believe the airlines wanted to leave me in the terminal with no way of moving around an hour before my flight? Hell no.

Rest of the year's been good, though. First semester college grades are starting to trickle in, and so far it looks like I did okay!

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2005 17:57      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I usually endure things by keeping things in perspective. I can always look back at the horror show of a life that is my past and compare it to whatever is going on and see that my life has improved a lot. I find myself grateful for the life I lead today, even if it's not the easiest life.

The biggest challenges I faced this year were health issues. Getting a kidney transplant is great, but being hospitalized half a dozen times and other complications wasn't so hot. Still, I look back and remember what I went through after my kidneys completely failed and nothing I've been through this year compares to that. I look back and remember two and a half years of dialysis (which the scars on my arm from the needles will never allow me to forget) and I am grateful for what has happened to me this year, even if it sounds bad on the surface.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2005 23:43      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by YaYawoman:
What changes and challenges are facing you at this time? How are you coping?

You asked for it. I'm answering, in all honesty here, because I'm in the right (wrong?) state of mind to do so.

I'm working two Shitty Jobs at the moment, until the two weeks is up on Shitty Job No.1. I'm single after a huge tangle of being cheated on, and frustrated, not because I'm single, but because I can't seem to get through one single first fucking date without him screwing up and getting my temper going, or hearing the words, "Wow, you're a unique girl and some other guy would be very lucky to have you." I haven't been laid in months. My entire family's disappointed in me because I'm not pumping out grandchildren or in possession of a million dollars yet, and while I have a ton of really wonderful, smart, fun and supportive friends, I never get to see them, because I'm working all the time and My Posse Sucks(tm). My best friend has blown me off for upwards of two months because her sociopathic, controlling boyfriend hates that I don't treat him like the "lifestyle dominant" that he thinks he is. I loathe the holidays; I always have a depressive fit at the end of Christmas, and I can feel it creeping up on me already.

So what am I doing to get over it?

I'm not drinking or smoking pot for a while, not by any conscious sort of choice, but because I don't feel like fucking my head up anymore.

I'm whipping my body into shape. I'm a mess, and I still smoke a pack of Marlboros a day, but I'm getting into the habit of putting on a Black Flag album and pumping iron, doing pushups until my elbows feel like they're filled with water, and generally pushing myself too far. No more chemical food or sleeping drugs.

I aspire to be a stupendous bad-ass. I want to walk out of this a lean, mean killing machine. My roommate's watched me these past few weeks, and says that if I keep up what I'm doing, I'll be ripped by February. That satisfies me a lot. My mind shuts off when I'm lifting; the music shakes the walls and my entire self is engrossed in doing one more set. The burn in my muscles is literally addictive, and when I have to take a day off in between workouts, I crave it.

Good gods, am I ever sore right now.

YaYawoman

Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 22, 2005 07:27      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone. For all the good things that have happened to us ---yipee! And for all the harder times I guess we will all hang in there. I hope 2006 is a sweeter year to us all.

Feel the burn!!!! [Big Grin]

Posts: 765 | From: virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture