homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » We've decided to adopt...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: We've decided to adopt...
maia
Alpha Geek
Member # 3778

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 19, 2005 20:39      Profile for maia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
a little dog named Madeline:
 -

So, Orpheus and I are soon going to be moving from our one bedroom apartment into a three bedroom house with a large backyard. We have decided that when we move, we want to adopt a new dog. So I sent out an email to some local dog rescue groups letting them know what we were looking for. Within a day, I'd already heard back from a few of them. One let us know about a dog in their program that was currently in foster care, and might be a good match for us. Her foster mom brought her to our apartment so we could meet her and she could also meet our current dog to see if they got along. Our dog took to her instantly, and so did we. She is absolutely precious. She was abandoned one night in a drop box at a local animal shelter. The shelter ran out of room and was about to put her to sleep when the rescue group stepped in and found her a foster home. We didn't think things would happen so quickly, but it really just seems like this is the right dog for us. She's about one year old and about 25 lbs. She's calm and sweet and has these wonderful expressive ears that go up, down, or back depending on her mood. We've told the foster mom that we'd really like to adopt her. She said that she wouldn't mind fostering her until we move into our new house. We are just so thrilled to have found this wonderful little dog and can't wait to bring her into our family.

--------------------
Nothing is too petty to be thoroughly discussed.

Posts: 316 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
YaYawoman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 19, 2005 20:45      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats on your expanding family and your new house. The ears are sooo funny.
Posts: 765 | From: virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
cheryl
Mini Geek
Member # 4566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2005 01:47      Profile for cheryl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
phew i though you meant adopt a CHILD! god i hate those things... animals are better.

--------------------
dont bother running, you'll only die tired!

Posts: 65 | From: 3rd planet from the sun | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted December 20, 2005 10:50      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She's precious. [hearts] Those ears are the funniest thing I've seen all day.

And bully for you for rescuing. All the pets I've ever had have been rescues; they're often healthier (mutts) and better behaved than animals you'll pick up from a breeder.

Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted December 20, 2005 11:31      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cheryl:
phew i though you meant adopt a CHILD! god i hate those things...are better.

Well, I guess I wont be mating with you... 1 down. 8 million to go.

One of these days there are going to be 12 little Ravens running around this world.

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted December 20, 2005 11:40      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations on the new house and the new dog. [Smile]
She looks like a lovely little beastie - let's hope you don't end up battling for control of the sofa [Razz]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted December 20, 2005 13:46      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice doggie! [Beard of Peter Gabriel!] [thumbsup] I don't see how anyone could have abandoned her. [Frown]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
maia
Alpha Geek
Member # 3778

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 23, 2005 20:22      Profile for maia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, we finally got to go and pick up Madeline today. She is just so precious. She just wants to please everyone, and loves to snuggle. She and our other dog, Bear, have already started to bond. She follows him everywhere, and he doesn't seem to mind. They've both been smiling all day. She's still very thin, and we are going to try to fatten her up on puppy food, but other than that she's in very good shape. One strange thing is that she has a small tattoo on her belly. Guess that could be a clue to her past, but I'm not sure why anyone would put it there. Maybe a breeder would do it, but to me, she looks like a mutt, so why would they breed her. Anyone ever seen a tattoo on a dog before or know what it could be from?

--------------------

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted December 24, 2005 02:42      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has she been "microchipped"? In the UK there is a scheme where a little chip the size of a grain of rice is injected under the skin and it carries owner's and/or vet's details, in case the animal is lost.
The tattoo may relate to a similar scheme, although we usually just use a medal on the collar to identify a "chipped" animal.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 24, 2005 03:03      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:
Has she been "microchipped"? In the UK there is a scheme where a little chip the size of a grain of rice is injected under the skin and it carries owner's and/or vet's details, in case the animal is lost.

I highly recommend microchipping.

Some years ago, when the druid-hound was a puppy, he was alone at home when casa del Druid was burgled, and the burlars took him home with them. Weeks later, he turned up at a pound way across the other side of town, with his collar and tags gone. If he hadn't been microchipped, he'd most likely have met an untimely end.

Oh, and the tattoo sounds to me like your little girl has been 'fixed'.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
maia
Alpha Geek
Member # 3778

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 24, 2005 12:54      Profile for maia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She was fixed, but only a week ago once she was rescued, that's when they first noticed the tattoo. The tattoo is a few inches below where the incision was. It almost looks like the symbol for female, but what idiot would need a tattoo to tell if a dog is female. Anyway, I think I will get her and our other dog microchipped. My first dog is seven years old, and they didn't have microchipping when I first got him, but I think it is a good idea for both of them.

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 24, 2005 17:36      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by maia:
what idiot would need a tattoo to tell if a dog is female.

Let me guess, you took Madeline to the 'discount vet', right?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture