homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » We got rats (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: We got rats
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted December 17, 2005 11:36      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
... in our house. And it is awful. [Mad]

In the walls, in kitchen, they set up a clubhouse under our fridge, and in most the rooms. I suspect they are also using the heating vents to move throughout the house.

We think that's what caused NitroKitty's intestinal blockage... she was stalking something the night before getting ill.

I'll killed two with traps... one with a glue trap, (frig those things are inhumane, I'll never use one again.) another with a snap trap, that only did half the job, I had to finish it off with a shovel. yuk.

I'm a little worried about using poison because of our cat, but I may have to go that route. Any advice would be most appreciated.

YUK! [cry baby]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted December 17, 2005 11:46      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Poison might not be a good idea - you don't want the rats to die in some out-of-reach place and stink up the whole house while they're decomposing.
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 17, 2005 12:05      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The geeky thing to do would be to trap a few in a non-killing method, set them with a tracking device (you could put them asleep before), folow their signal to find their entry point, close it - and check for similar places they could get in. Then bait the ones stuck inside into the trap, and drown them.

But the faster way would be to call a pest exterminator. They know how to handle that kind of problems.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted December 17, 2005 12:22      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too bad Kerry's too far away. Being part terrier, she's just right for the job. I'd go the pro route too, they would probably be able to get rid of them all. Those guys multiply like...well...rats, so it'd be hard to kill them all and keep them from returning.
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 17, 2005 12:25      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snaggy, these work like a charm, involve no poison and will not accidentally trap your cat. They are listed as for mice, but I've frequently used them for the types of rats that bother most home/ranch owners with very good success. I prefer the Tin Cat model myself.

Good luck, especially since success in this endeavor may keep Nitrokitty healthy too!

gg

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 17, 2005 12:34      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My boss lived in a rat-infested apartment in Boston for all six+ years of grad school. He has a deep-seated aversion to poison, so he's a big fan of the snap-traps. But I don't think he ever managed to end the problem.

We had a rat problem for a few years. Eventually the exterminator got them all but it was a fairly drawn out affair. Rats aren't stupid. You need to take multiple lines of attack.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 17, 2005 13:31      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is gross, but it usually works.

Rats and mice will usually abandon an area if it smells like cat urine. If Nitrokitty is using a litter box, take tablespoon sized amounts of the urine laced litter and tie them up in nylon hose (keeps the mess down) to make urine bombs. Place these under the fridge, in cupboards, vent pipes, corners and so forth.

Your whole place will smell like cat pee for a couple days while you do it (which may be worse than having the rats, depending on your opinion), but usually the rodents will leave. Once they're gone, you can remove the indoor urine bombs and justleave some in the basement/crawlspace and around the edges of the place to keep them out (although they do dry out and lose their smell, so you have to replace them with fresh ones every week or so).

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 17, 2005 16:29      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snaggy____________If you can stand the smell and can keep it away from the cat. You could use moth balls, the old naptha kind just put them far enough under things that the cat can't get to it

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted December 17, 2005 18:36      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Step 1: Get a goodly-sized python.
Step 2: Let it loose in the house.
Step 3: Profit!

I'd let you borrow Sif, but she's still a baby and too small for full-sized rats. [ohwell]

smallerdemon
Geek
Member # 635

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted December 17, 2005 18:57      Profile for smallerdemon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a friend who just went through all this with mice. While not as horrendous as rats, still, it was enough to drive him full scale batty for a while. He chronicled the story over on his LiveJournal.

Mouse Part 1

Mouse Part 2

Mouse Part 3

Mouse Part 4

Mouse Part 5

--------------------
That's using your brainium!

Posts: 214 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 17, 2005 19:17      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demosthenes:
Step 1: Get a goodly-sized python.
Step 2: Let it loose in the house.
Step 3: Profit!

I'd let you borrow Sif, but she's still a baby and too small for full-sized rats. [ohwell]

But then you have to bring in Bear cubs to take care of your new found snake problem.

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted December 17, 2005 19:54      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Posted by Nitrozac, via Snaggy's Pismo....

"One night at 3:30am, last week, I walked into the kitchen with a flashlight and I saw this big black thing between the fridge and the cupboard, and I thought "what is that? is that the dust pan brush, back there?" Then I made out its shape, it's black eyes met mine. I didn't scream, I was so shocked, and I shuffled backwards a bit, and it ran behind the fridge. That thing was really big and it looked exactly like those fake rubber rats.

I'm totally freaking out that NitroKitty might eat another one, I don't know if she could make it. So, it's really stressful around here. I'm thinking moving would be the best idea. [Frown]

So, do you think that even with the exterminator, that might not get rid of the rats permanently? I was thinking that might be the case."

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 17, 2005 20:04      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem with poison is that your cat may get into it either by direct contact or by indirect contact (via one of the rats that has been in contact with it). Most exterminators use a combination of traps and poison baits. If you go the exterminator route, make certain you tell them of your desire to avoid poisons for your cat's and your own sake.

Poisonless traps work and can eliminate all the current population - it may take some time. Also, part of the purging process is to thoroughly assess and then seal off all points of entrance and egress to the building, including roof and eve areas. Rats are great climbers and often enter via wires or overhanging trees. Then they live in the attic and climb down the insides of the walls to forage. They use the same methods when approaching from crawl spaces, basements, etc.

--------------------

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2005 03:25      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snaggy & Nitrozac_________________If you are going to be out of town for a few days. Go to one of those large pet stores, and buy a whole house flea bomb, those things have the same componets as nerve gas. Calculate the square footage of your house, buy three times as many as the cans call for. You don't want to miss any. Seal up the place as well as possible, set them off as you are leaving, come back from your trip air out the place and pick up the bodies.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Luke Skywalker
Assimilated
Member # 3096

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2005 09:04      Profile for Luke Skywalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
Snaggy & Nitrozac_________________If you are going to be out of town for a few days. Go to one of those large pet stores, and buy a whole house flea bomb, those things have the same componets as nerve gas. Calculate the square footage of your house, buy three times as many as the cans call for. You don't want to miss any. Seal up the place as well as possible, set them off as you are leaving, come back from your trip air out the place and pick up the bodies.

Those things work too. They will kill anything.

Um, otherwise, exterminator will be ure best bet. Its going to take time. Start putting all food in plastic containers (eg, become VERY good friends with ure local Tupperware consultant). Keep using the traps, as every little bit helps. And hope for the best. Most likely, the rats/mice/rodents ate something that was mildly poisonous (have any fertilizer in the garage?) and the cat got it. Normally though, cat should be ok. But yes, precautions with it are wise.

Good luck.

--------------------
Use the Force, Luke.

Posts: 406 | From: The Line Between Time and Space | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted December 18, 2005 09:41      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, all of our stuff is in plastic containers, silverware, food, etc. what a headache. [shake head]

Traps caught two last night. [thumbsup]

One was dead (good old fashioned spring trap), the other wasn't (new fangeled plastic spring trap) . [ohwell]

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2005 10:56      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snaggy___________One of the problems with traps is that the dead rodent leaves behind some aromas that the other rats can smell so it is a good idea to continue to buy new traps as then you can air the used ones out.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2005 12:31      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't get too carried away with bug bombs - that is, if you're not planning to re-create Mythbusters episode 23 [Smile]
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2005 15:00      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alfrin:
But then you have to bring in Bear cubs to take care of your new found snake problem.

Well, honestly, I'm trying to powerfeed her so that she'll grow into her tank.

Anyway, if you end up with snakes all over the house, just turn down the heat and wait for a cold snap, and boom! Problem solved. (Not that pythons are a problem; the little critters eat all kinds of things that you don't want around, won't raid your fridge, aren't poisonous, don't destroy your property, and are cute, friendly little things.)

maia
Alpha Geek
Member # 3778

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2005 15:01      Profile for maia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nitrozac and Snaggy, I hope that you can get your rat problems resolved soon and that kitty doesn't get ahold of any more.

My dad and I saw a rat the other night that was the size of a cat. We thought it was a cat at first, but then it started to cross the street, and, from the silhouette, we then thought it was a possum. However, as it continued to cross, it came under the street lamp and we got a better look. We've both seen plenty of possums before, and this was definitely not a possum. It was the biggest rat I'd ever seen in my life. So disgusting!! We have lots of rats here on the island. You can always see them running through the trees at night. A baby rat once fell from my parents attic, through the ceiling and into their sink. Imagine their surprise that morning when they went to brush their teeth!

--------------------
Nothing is too petty to be thoroughly discussed.

Posts: 316 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2005 15:27      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately with rats you have to be pretty extreme to get rid of them if you've got a full infestation. It might be safer to move NitroKitty off to stay with friends for a while and generally make the place as rat toxic as possible.

I thought you guys rented btw ? If so, doesn't your landlord have an interest (or even obligation) to help make the place pest free?

At the extreme end of rat control, one city council's rat catchers found that if you caught a few rats and sewed up their bottoms, the intestinal build up caused them to go crazy and kill large numbers of other rats before dying. Very very nasty method of rat control, but like pigeons, you have to use pretty extreme methods to control a serious infestation as they breed so fast.

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2005 18:00      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zwilnik wrote:
one city council's rat catchers found that if you caught a few rats and sewed up their bottoms

Well I'm horrified.

At what point after catching a rat do you say to yourself "Hmm... I wonder what would happen if I sewed this thing's ass shut?"

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2005 18:24      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zwilnik, yep we rent, and the landlord finally decided to do something about it. Tomorrow someone from pest control is coming over to do something, but he says he'll only be here for 15 minutes. [ohwell]

regarding sewing a rat's butt shut... that's gotta be an urban legend. Good grief!

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2005 19:06      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But remember, there's a group of people that do strange things with duct tape and gerbils (I think?)...

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2005 21:37      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
Zwilnik wrote:
one city council's rat catchers found that if you caught a few rats and sewed up their bottoms

Well I'm horrified.

At what point after catching a rat do you say to yourself "Hmm... I wonder what would happen if I sewed this thing's ass shut?"

That seems to occur usually after about the 6th Guinness...

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture