homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » ipod virgin

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ipod virgin
Doco

SuperFan!
Member # 371

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 15, 2005 08:39      Profile for Doco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok - I just ordered an ipod mini for my daughter. I know NOTHING about these beasts other than the occasional comment here. My MP3 player has always been my PC, notebook, desktop, etc.

So - considering that this is a 12 year old girl - who has her dad's coordination (i.e. none) is some kind of protective sleeve/case a good idea? If so any recommendations?

Thanks!

Posts: 419 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 3 posted December 15, 2005 08:50      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just so you don't get caught will your pants down:

Mac System Requirements

* - A Mac with USB port*
* - Mac OS X v10.2.8 or Mac OS X 10.3.4 and later (Mac OS X 10.3.6 or later recommended for use with low-power USB ports)
* - iTunes 4.7.1 or later (included)

PC System Requirements

* - PC with USB port*
* - Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 or Windows XP Home or Professional Service Pack 2 or later
* - iTunes 4.7 or later (included)

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 15, 2005 09:06      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A case is a MUST! Something like iPod Armor or a padded case. Many cases here.

Not sure if I'd give a 12 year old an iPod (a shuffle perhaps) unless she is very responsible. And don't even think of letting her take it to school, most schools ban iPods and they are also a high theft item at schools.

EDIT: ALSO GET HER A PAIR OF NON-WHITE HEADPHONES!

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2005 09:12      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw these on boingboing the other day. A hollowed out vintage book to hold/hide your iPod. A novel idea, eh?

-

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2005 09:46            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a couple of connectivity notes:

If you're hooking the iPod to a PC, and the PC's USB ports aren't USB 2.0, you may want to consider using the FireWire interface instead, if you have one. (It may be called "IEEE 1394," or "i.LINK" if you have a Sony.) That's what we did with my wife's Toshiba notebook.

However, notebooks tend to only have the small 4-pin FireWire ports, which don't have the power pins, so the iPod won't be able to recharge. To make it work correctly in that case, you'll need to get a powered FireWire hub that can supply the juice your computer doesn't. You'll also need a 4-pin to 6-pin adapter to connect the hub to the computer. Then plug the iPod dock into the hub, and you're good to go!

As for protective cases...have you looked here?

(Pamela's filled her 40 Gb iPod about halfway, between ripped CDs and iTunes downloads...she loves being part of the Cult of iPod. Hopefully, your daughter will, too. "Come...join us...don't be afraid...")

IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 15, 2005 10:16      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bibo:
. And don't even think of letting her take it to school, most schools ban iPods and they are also a high theft item at schools.
[/b]

I second this, trust me. Taking it to school will be a bad idea, coming from a person who had his stolen the only day he ever took it to school.
By the way my suspect did not have it, it really was a coincidense.

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 15, 2005 11:48      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
If you're hooking the iPod to a PC, and the PC's USB ports aren't USB 2.0, you may want to consider using the FireWire interface instead, if you have one. (It may be called "IEEE 1394," or "i.LINK" if you have a Sony.) That's what we did with my wife's Toshiba notebook.
New ipods don't have the firewire interface, so that might not be a possibility.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2005 12:07      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doco:
Ok - I just ordered an ipod mini for my daughter.

They stopped making iPod Minis in September, and pulled all support for them in October, so you're out that idea. Get her a Shuffle; they suck, but she won't know the difference anyway.

Get a case, but don't sweat it being stolen so much. Mine hangs out of my pocket, the outermost pocket of my messenger pack, et cetera, all day long...I wear the white headphones through the shitty neighborhoods here in town, and it's really nothing to worry about unless she leaves it lying around someplace public and away from herself. iPods are no longer the status symbol that they once were, and people are still rampantly paranoid about being mugged just because they're wearing white headphones. Sure, it happens from time to time, but unless she's strolling through, say, Oakland or Hell's Kitchen waving it around above your head, everything ought to be fine.

Doco

SuperFan!
Member # 371

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 15, 2005 12:07      Profile for Doco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I got the PC requirements covered - Yes it's a PC - I haven't gotten the Mac Mini (yet). USB 2.0 was needed some time ago for other things like the digital camera and thumb drive.

I know that school is off limits. She has already taken radio and/or CD player on the bus, but those are ~$20 items, not $200.

I had forgotten about the Nitrozac pouches. Hmmmmmm.....

So any suggestions as far as hard case vs. a rubber sleeve type case? Any particular brand that you like?

Posts: 419 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 15, 2005 12:11      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
...is some kind of protective sleeve/case a good idea? If so any recommendations?

Yes, an OtterBox. I take my iPod shuffle in the pool, no problems.

Well, the headphones sound funny underwater, but they weren't designed for that and I don't actually swim too many laps anyway. Might be kind of expensive, but I needed "bulletproof" over "scratch-resistant".

Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 15, 2005 13:01      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got an iSkin for mine, it's quite good, but the belt clip is really crap and I threw it away after a week or so, the damn thing kept falling off.

The good thing is, with the skin on you can feel where the controls are, and do most basic iPod functions (pause, volume control, skip a track) without taking the iPod out of your pocket, very handy.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 15, 2005 13:05      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demosthenes:
\ Sure, it happens from time to time, but unless she's strolling through, say, Oakland

I'll keep my policy of using different headphones on the bus around here then.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2005 16:15      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agent18 cases are pretty good, though somewhat pricey.
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 15, 2005 16:20      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
quote:
\ Sure, it happens from time to time, but unless she's strolling through, say, Oakland

Ironically, I've got white headphones that are the only remaining part of my previous non iPod mp3 player that got stolen (from a pocket in a jacket left unattended, not mugged). They're clip over the ear sort, are they likely to attract attention from iPod thieves? Sydney mightn't be as bad, but maybe I should get some black clip on ones...

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 15, 2005 19:40      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by littlefish:
quote:
New ipods don't have the firewire interface, so that might not be a possibility.
Yea, stick with USB, get yourself a USB 2.0 device. Boy was I disappointed when I plugged my Video Ipod into a firewire port and it start yelling at me. ANyone know why they dropped this feature?

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 15, 2005 22:00      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alfrin:
...Boy was I disappointed when I plugged my Video Ipod into a firewire port and it start yelling at me. ANyone know why they dropped this feature? [/QB]

Because most PCs don't come with Firewire and current Macs come with USB 2.0. Eliminating Firewire saves Apple money and the PC users the expense and hassle of having to purchase and install a Firewire card.
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 16, 2005 00:25            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bibo:
quote:
Originally posted by alfrin:
...Boy was I disappointed when I plugged my Video Ipod into a firewire port and it start yelling at me. ANyone know why they dropped this feature?

Because most PCs don't come with Firewire and current Macs come with USB 2.0. Eliminating Firewire saves Apple money and the PC users the expense and hassle of having to purchase and install a Firewire card.
Hmm...I bought Pamela's iPod just a year ago. It was an Apple/HP cobranded 40 Gb unit, and it came with both the FireWire and USB cables. They phased out FireWire support that soon, huh?

I've seen several PC/Windows notebooks that have FireWire ports, at least the small 4-pin variant. My work notebook, an HP Pavilion, has one, though I don't know if the port's supported by Fedora, which is what that machine runs. Perhaps that's being phased out on newer models, due to the advent of USB 2.0.

But that would suck using one of the newer, USB-only iPods with an older machine that only supported USB 1.1...sloooooooowwwwwww... [ohwell]

IP: Logged
Maggs
Geek
Member # 4682

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 16, 2005 05:52      Profile for Maggs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by supaboy:
quote:
...is some kind of protective sleeve/case a good idea? If so any recommendations?

Yes, an OtterBox. I take my iPod shuffle in the pool, no problems. Might be kind of expensive, but I needed "bulletproof" over "scratch-resistant".
That reminds me of Alpha Security products at work. And trust me, its not bulletproof. 5 finger discounts abound [Frown]
Posts: 193 | From: NYC | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 16, 2005 07:26      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Maggs:
That reminds me of Alpha Security products at work. And trust me, its not bulletproof. 5 finger discounts abound [Frown]

Yes, I can see how the two product lines are amazingly similar, what with one intending that you can freely take the enclosed item with you under virtually any conditions and the other intending that you well, can't, heh.
Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 16, 2005 07:30      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
quote:
Sure, it happens from time to time, but unless she's strolling through, say, Oakland

Ironically, I've got white headphones that are the only remaining part of my previous non iPod mp3 player that got stolen (from a pocket in a jacket left unattended, not mugged). They're clip over the ear sort, are they likely to attract attention from iPod thieves? Sydney mightn't be as bad, but maybe I should get some black clip on ones...
No....it's the "white earbuds" that are the pickpocket/mugger favo[|u]rites.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
zboy
Mini Geek
Member # 2969

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 16, 2005 08:16      Profile for zboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The firewire support was dropped with the Nano and the new iPod with video.

Congrats on the iPod mini for your daughter. You can still find them, though it is getting much harder to find them, I've heard of them going for as much as $600.

Look at this for a fun joke on iPods. http://homepage.mac.com/southwestyouth/iMovieTheater31.html

You and your daughter should do fine with the iPod. Find her a good case and you will be set. iTunes is very easy, you two should not have any problem. I've been using iPods for 3-4 years now, I love them.

The funny thing about this conversation, is that I got my iPod so that I wouldn't get robbed. I carried 200+ CDs in my car and had friends whose cars were getting broken into. I thought to myself, "self, I don't want to lose all my CDs, I would rather lose an iPod." and thus my love relationship was born.

Posts: 72 | From: A galaxy far, far, away ... | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture