homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Slang

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Slang
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 08, 2005 17:45      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I was on my other favorite forum earlier today and mentioned how 'Merkin has been used to identify American citizens, particularly by Australian-English--speakers. One older board member got really upset and offended and told me not to use that word around him again. I was thoroughly confused because the only reference for Merkin I had was chocolate. So, I did what any good Internet user should do: I looked it up. Lo and behold, I discovered this definition and etymology.

Am I the only person here who never knew of this definition for merkin?! And, this whole time, have we been unknowingly insulted by people using this word to label Americans?

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 08, 2005 17:48      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am I the only person here who never knew of this definition for merkin?!

Probably.

And, this whole time, have we been unknowingly insulted by people using this word to label Americans?

Probably.

HTH.

(You know I don't mean it, right? ) [Wink]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 08, 2005 18:00      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fairly recently (like in the last year or so) Someone here brought up that definition. Until then I had been in the dark as well. But really, is it any worse than septics? [Razz]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 08, 2005 18:00      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HTH= Hit the Highway?

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 08, 2005 18:06      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
HTH= Hit the Highway?

Happy to help!

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 08, 2005 18:29      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:
HTH= Hit the Highway?

Happy to help!
No
Hexadecimal-To-HTML

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 08, 2005 18:32      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That guy proved that he was indeed a Merkin. [Big Grin]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 08, 2005 19:03      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rhonwynn, do you mean to say that, until now, you thought the Aussies and Brits were nice people who like Americans? [Eek!]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 08, 2005 19:05      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I just thought they liked meeeeeee! :weeps:

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 08, 2005 19:29      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, I think someone has just discovered the great Australian pastime of taking the piss [Wink]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 08, 2005 19:35      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
Hmm, I think someone has just discovered the great Australian pastime of taking the piss [Wink]

What, you mean like exporting Paul Hogan? [Wink]

(Says he who has just been listening to Australia's greatest - Kevin Bloody Wilson - "I'm gonna f*&% ya guts out, and I'm never gonna stop, not even when I see your kidneys wrapped around me...")

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 08, 2005 23:34      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I suspect so.

btw - according to this link that use of 'merkin' to refer to merkins was coined by a merkin.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 09, 2005 05:04      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I was only aware of the ancient usage. I note that there seems to be some disagreement between the lexicographers as to what the practical use of a pubic wig was.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted December 09, 2005 06:32      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard utterly stupid Brits use the term, I'm pretty sure they're just mocking the Texas accent instead of referring to us as pubic hair wigs.

It's as Dubya says it: "We are 'Merikens."

supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 10, 2005 22:16      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't feel bad Rhonwyyn, I didn't know what a merkin was either (until now).

But why would someone get upset over its usage? It seems to be a very obscure and archaic word.

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2005 19:06      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoa!! I'm going to work tomorrow, go right up to my boss and say "WHAT A MERKIN YOU ARE!!!"

I wonder what will happen?

Don't give him the link.

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 19, 2005 19:18      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you do it? What'd he say?

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture