homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Movie Geek Christmas Countdown... BNAT7

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Movie Geek Christmas Countdown... BNAT7
smallerdemon
Geek
Member # 635

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 03, 2005 21:10      Profile for smallerdemon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, once again the Butt-Numb-A-Thon is upon us movie geeks. BNAT7 is next weekend and I'm starting to get antsy!

For those of you who have not heard me already talk about BNAT here , here , and here , it's a 24 hour movie festival held by Harry Knowles of Ain't It Cool News every December on the weekend closest to his birthday on December 11th. It's basically a fund raiser for a kids film club that he and the former Alamo Draft House owner started to show films to kids once a month for free. They use the money from BNAT to purchase or rent great old movies for kids like the original King Kong, etc.

Anyway, this year there were nearly 7,000 people vying for the available 255 seats. Lo and behold we have made it in again this year! But not without a little drama. [Smile]

Anyway, this year I did something special for trying to get in to BNAT. I did some research of all the previous years movies that showed at BNAT, found images from them, and then made sort of "trailers" ("movie previews" for those not with the hip movie lingo) for them.

I also tried to pick dialogue and music that sort of sets a mood. The music and dialogue may not necessarily be from a movie that showed (in most cases, not, actually), but I tried to pick stuff that set a certain mood or feeling to go with the stuff showing.

So, if you have QuickTime 7 installed and a nice high speed connection...

Here they are!

I also put all of them to DVD. There are screen shots of the DVD menu there as well. I made ten DVDs and covers for them to take with me to give to Harry for his b'day and to give to members of the LiveJournal Bnatters group.

So, enjoy! [Smile]

--------------------
That's using your brainium!

Posts: 214 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
maia
Alpha Geek
Member # 3778

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 04, 2005 00:56      Profile for maia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like fun. [Smile] I'm too tired to watch your movies right now, but I will tomorrow. I'm from Austin, and I have never heard of this event, but, to be honest, I am never all that well informed. Hope you enjoy yourself.

--------------------
Nothing is too petty to be thoroughly discussed.

Posts: 316 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
N9IWP
Geek
Member # 1229

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 06, 2005 12:10      Profile for N9IWP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you pretty much counting on King Kong (2005) to be one of the movies?

Brian

Posts: 181 | From: Southeast MN | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
smallerdemon
Geek
Member # 635

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 07, 2005 16:45      Profile for smallerdemon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kong is certainly one of the rumors, what with Harry and Peter Jackson both being such Kong fans.

Peter Jackson gave Harry the smoke grenade they used to knock out Kong in the original movie as a birthday gift at BNAT5.

--------------------

smallerdemon
Geek
Member # 635

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2005 22:40      Profile for smallerdemon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UPDATE!

Ok, here are the flicks we saw!

(1)The Most Dangerous Game - 1932 (with Fay Wray)
(2) King Kong - 2005 (tearjerker - stupid ape!)
(3) Footlight Parade - 1932 Jimmy Cagney Musical
(4) Sick Girl - 2005 - Directed by Lucky McGee
(5)Sympathy For Lady Vengeance - 2005 Directed by Chan-wook Park (OldBoy)
(6)The Professionals - 1966 - Starring Lee Marvin, Burt Lancaster, Ralph Bellamy, Woody Strode, and Jack Palance
(7) District 13 - 2004 - Luc Besson - French Marital Artst action/crime
(8) Cigarette Burns - 2005 - Directed by John Carpenter
(9)The Descent - 2005 - Brit Horror
(10)Stunt Rock - 1978 - Starring nobody and directed OBVIOUSLY by no one.
(11) Drum - Starring most everyone you saw in a 70s tv movie, but with boobies. Roots with Boobies is how this was described.
(12) V For Vendetta - 2005 (2006 release) - Directed by the Wachowski Brothers - This is the one, folks. If you see nothing else on this list, see this.

V For Vendetta was certainly my favorite, but I will say, it's got an opinion and a point of view, and I'm not exactly sure it's gonna play so hot in some places.

Overall, though, wow, GREAT BNAT this year. Fun from top to bottom and just damn good pacing (except for Stun Rock... so... bad...)

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture