homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » a (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: a
Kinguy
Geek
Member # 4527

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 30, 2005 11:39      Profile for Kinguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

CloneArmyCommander
Geek
Member # 4665

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 30, 2005 11:59      Profile for CloneArmyCommander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kinguy:
Why do you stay here at the boards? Is it the wonderful atmosphere? The random people? The hopes of getting free garlic yumminess?

It's interesting to lurk around the forum reading throuh the interesting conversations [Big Grin] .

There isn't much interesting conversation around the college I am attending. I found out the hard way that mentioning Linux around here is treated as an act of treason, even among other CS majors.

spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 30, 2005 12:36      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only hang around for this...

-

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 30, 2005 13:13      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Intelligent conversations, the ability to (usually) have rational conversations about controversial topics, the twisted sense of humor, and the fact that people here seem to actually care about one another.

The giveaways are nice, too. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 30, 2005 13:20      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The pictures of naked women, with beer?

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 30, 2005 16:12      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mmmmm Beer!!!

[Big Grin]

I stay here because it is like a favourite bar or coffee shop, people coming and going and always a conversation going on - and joking around and yeah people here do *actually* care

[Happytears]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 30, 2005 16:29      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I stay because the food is good and the rent is cheap. [Smile]

There's also the fact that this is by far the most intelligent, funny, diverse, interesting, welcoming bunch of people I have ever come across on the net. We can talk about anything, and talk about it damned well. Snaggy and Nitro realised the potential for awesomeness that internet forums had all along [Applause] [hearts]

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 30, 2005 16:47      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a nice, diverse group of people here, but it isn't so big that you can't get to know most of people who've been posting for very long. Threads move along at a reasonable pace, too. I hate forums that are posted on so frequently that you start to wonder who all the idiots are who've never heard of chat rooms before.

It probably also helps that the people here are nice, even when some get a bit gruff. [Wink]

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kinguy
Geek
Member # 4527

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 30, 2005 20:12      Profile for Kinguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted November 30, 2005 20:18      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like it here because I don't deal well with stupidity, and there isn't much of that at these boards.

I enjoy being able to talk to fellow computer geeks (DNM, Dragonman, commander shroom, etc) while still talking to other intelligent people about subject in which they are knowleadgeable but I am not (GG, Rhonny, Peebs. Spungo.)

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 30, 2005 20:41      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nerdwithnofriends:
I like it here because I don't deal well with stupidity, and there isn't much of that at these boards.

I enjoy being able to talk to fellow computer geeks (DNM, Dragonman, commander shroom, etc) while still talking to other intelligent people about subject in which they are knowleadgeable but I am not (GG, Rhonny, Peebs. Spungo.)

Hmm... not sure I like being in the same room with Spungo, let alone in the same thought. (I'd say sentence, but NWNF put a period between Peebs and Spungo.) [Eek!] [Razz]

Hah, yeah, I found this place after reading Slashdot one day. Since then I've only read /. once or twice, and usually as a result of a recommendation from someone on here. I love the fact that I have friends from all around the world and from all walks of life. I love the fact that it's always here and always accessible. I love that we're (most of us) caring people who truly have compassionate hearts for everyone.

Hmm, this is starting to sound vaguely like a "pat ourselves on the back" post, but everything I've said so far is true. We're a great big, dysfunctional family with Snaggy and Nitro as our godparental-types.

Etcetera. Etcetera. Etcetera. [Smile]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 30, 2005 20:59      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the one and only one board I frequently post on. I'm not sure what brought this disparate group of people to this place at this time for this communal purpose, but it happened. Any of the sociologists among us care to whip your neurons about and cogitate about this one? Hm!?

The board is really friendly and it has little tolerance of "[email protected]@d!! KEWL!!" type talk. It only rarely gets spammed or flamed by too young or too bored brains. And it has grammatical standards.

And then of course there's the

-

UNDIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They keep me coming back and back and back...

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

CyberGoddess
Highlie
Member # 147

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 30, 2005 21:02      Profile for CyberGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I came back because I missed having an intelligent, relatively drama-free discussion with other people who have similar interests.

--------------------
CyberGoddess
La Goddess of Go-Go :)
http://www.kageneko.net
After Y2K Fan Club Member #15

"Chaos. Panic. Disorder. My work here is done."

Posts: 621 | From: Larkspur, CA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 30, 2005 21:04      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Drama? You want drama? *I* can give you drama!

Oh wait. You said you didn't want drama. Nevermind then. [Razz]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted November 30, 2005 21:37      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
quote:
Originally posted by nerdwithnofriends:

Hmm... not sure I like being in the same room with Spungo, let alone in the same thought. (I'd say sentence, but NWNF put a period between Peebs and Spungo.) [Eek!] [Razz]
Believe it or not, that was deliberate. I was gonna put an elipse in there, but I figured a period would have more of a 'catching' effect.

</grammar geek>

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 01, 2005 05:33      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Hmm... not sure I like being in the same room with Spungo, let alone in the same thought...

Hey, wait a minute - what does that mean?... [Confused] I'm sensitive, me. [Frown]

But seriously - joining this place is like going to a party that you heard about on the grapevine. You show up - it looks quite interesting to start off with - I mean, there's people here - and you know how few of those there are in your day-to-day life - Hell, some of them don't even try to run away when you open your mouth to speak - it's almost like they think you're human. So you stay a while, have a few cans of Sister-Shagger, find yourself lurching in the kitchen having a conversation with someone about God knows what - it all sounds very intriguing at the time, but you know deep down that you'd be cringeing convulsively from all the crap coming out of your mouth if you were sober. So the night marches on. You join a conga line that makes its way through the rooms - realising that having your hands on a girl's waist in front of you will be the sensual highlight of the evening. By a country mile. As the night creeps into the small hours you find yourself in a corner somewhere, nursing a beer, trying not to fall asleep, feeling like a teacher at a school disco - you wanna call for a taxi home, but it just might be easier to keel over and drown in a pool of your own vomit and bile just here. Don't worry - someone'll clean up the mess in the morning. Don't feel too bad about it - there's at least three or four others guys in other corners who'll have near-identical death certificates. The coroner's probably got a pro forma readied for the likes of you. So you carry on drinking, but the sweet release of death is taking its jolly old time... and all there is left to do is send one last SMS message to the girl you've been stalki^H^H^H^H^H strategically walking behind for the past few weeks to say good-bye, and everything - but you're so drunk you can't work the buttons, and end up saying "I lub you" to the local pizza place. And then, hopefully, before too long, the next darkened cloud over your eyes won't be someone else's bong-smoke...

So that's basically how I see it. Yeah, sumpin' like that. [Smile]

--------------------

Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 01, 2005 06:45      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found GC because a friend used to post here. I liked the company, the sick sense of humour and yet people seem to care. Also people don't laugh at my dumb tech questions.

I do think this forum is unusual. I have tried out a number and post regularly only at three. And I actually post at the other two because of a board civil war. I have friends on both sides, so I have to go both places.

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 01, 2005 06:55      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I came here when I found a link off of my slashdot rss dealie, and one of the threads caught my eye.

I stayed because it's the only forum I've ever been on in my entire life, where there's:

• Nobody trying to get in anyone else's pants.
  • If someone posts a thread about something that's been covered before, nobody jumps down their throat.
  • When a newbie starts a new thread to introduce themselves, they don't get ripped apart, bitched at, or ignored.
  • The people who frequent this board, while many have different values and morals, are for the most part, all very intelligent and capable of holding adult debates without, no matter how heated it gets, resorting to namecalling.
  • We have geeks of every facet and industry, making it helpful for learning about things you don't know and need to know, as well as makes for some interesting conversations.
  • It's not boring, monotonous, filled with l33t speaking children, or have anyone trying to prove they're better than anyone else, just good, genuine conversation -- and puns, and nakedness involving beer. [Wink]

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 01, 2005 07:12      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eh, the punnage can get a bit cloying. [ohwell]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 01, 2005 07:12      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
Nobody trying to get in anyone else's pants.

Yeah, that's right, yeah. Of course. Who'd wanna do a thing like that... I mean, it's not as if any of us have made blown-up laminated *thwack*-proof print-outs from the photo gallery, or anything, or have a made a candle-lit shrine of anyone here... or anything like that... is it? *thwack* *thwack* *groan*...

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 01, 2005 07:21      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
quote:
Hmm... not sure I like being in the same room with Spungo, let alone in the same thought...

Hey, wait a minute - what does that mean?... [Confused] I'm sensitive, me. [Frown]

Chin up, man.

***passes spungo a Stella.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 01, 2005 07:27      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:
quote:

Chin up, man.

***passes spungo a Stella.

*gulp* *gulp* Ah, sweet booze - takes away the pain... *hic* ... yer my best mate, you are... argghhhhhh... "La la la ... Oh, Danny boy - the pipes, the pipes are calling - from glen to glen... la la la ..."

--------------------

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 01, 2005 07:33      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

Yeah, that's right, yeah. Of course. Who'd wanna do a thing like that... I mean, it's not as if any of us have made blown-up laminated *thwack*-proof print-outs from the photo gallery, or anything, or have a made a candle-lit shrine of anyone here... or anything like that... is it? *thwack* *thwack* *groan*...
You, sir, are my hero.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 01, 2005 08:08      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
Eh, the punnage can get a bit cloying. [ohwell]

Awwww. What a sweet thing to say... [hearts]

(You will notice we've mostly tried to exercise a bit of self-control on this, and {often} limit our punning to one or two.. alright... three threads. But then you just had to throw this bit of bait out there, Peebs. [shake head] [Big Grin] What did you expect?)

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 01, 2005 08:34      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

You, sir, are my hero.
And my love for you is like a truck. [Smile]

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture