homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » NYC 16/17 December

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: NYC 16/17 December
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 28, 2005 21:11      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a paid day off on Friday, 16 December, and I'm itching to take a road-trip. Since I've never seen New York City, I'm thinking I'll go there. Any recommendations for what to see, where to park, where to spend the night (I'm on a budget, after all!), where to shop, etc.? Anyone want to plan to hang out on the 17th? (I might go to a ceili in Philly on Friday night, then head up to NYC Saturday morning.)

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 29, 2005 01:49      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lucky you, Rhonwyyn. Can't answer any of your questions, I'm afraid.

My course has a trip to New York some time, but I think it might be too expensive. We'll see.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 29, 2005 05:05      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Park? Did you say park? As in park a car? HaHaHaHaHaHa Hope you have lots of cash.
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 29, 2005 06:20      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
Park? Did you say park? As in park a car? HaHaHaHaHaHa Hope you have lots of cash.

What? I've parked for free before? Mind you, you have to look around a bit, or be in the right neighborhood. You do need to read /all/ signs very carefully about that stuff, or you can get hit with a steep fine...

You can also um...park in Brooklyn or Queens, and take the subway. =P Needless to say, you still have to watch out for alternate side parking, if applicable (certain spots don't have such problems!).

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 29, 2005 08:29      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My recommendation for a December weekend in NYC would be walk up 5th Avenue in the 40s and 50s and see the holiday displays in the department store windows. Make sure to stop in Rockefeller Plaza to see the tree and the skating rink. Stop in at Tiffany's and pick up a buable. FAO Scwartz is around 58th (I believe), and that's always fun.

After you are cold and tired, get over to "The Queen of Sheba" at 650 10th Ave. (I think it's around 46th St), for tasty, filling and reasonably priced (for NYC) Ethiopian meal.

You could also try to stop by Carnegie Hall and see if any tickets are available that night. It would be in nose-bleed city, but it's such a great hall that everyone should hear a concert there once.

Dman is right about parking. You can park for free in some places, but you MUST READ THE SIGNS. There will often be two or more signs up with conflicting information. There is almost no parking in mid-town. The metered spaces are all pay-and-display, but you need a meter-card, which you have to buy in advance somewhere else first, so it's hopeless for tourists. You just may have to pony up the $20-$50 to park for the day in a lot.

Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
YaYawoman

Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 29, 2005 09:31      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi. Nothing much to add except I hope you have lots of fun. NY is so pretty with all the lights. So much energy too. Always something going on. Enjoy. [Big Grin]
Posts: 765 | From: virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 29, 2005 11:57      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quantumfluff:

Dman is right about parking. You can park for free in some places, but you MUST READ THE SIGNS. There will often be two or more signs up with conflicting information. There is almost no parking in mid-town. The metered spaces are all pay-and-display, but you need a meter-card, which you have to buy in advance somewhere else first, so it's hopeless for tourists. You just may have to pony up the $20-$50 to park for the day in a lot.

Nah, you can feed it money - just *lots* of it. Get dollar coins - MUNI meters cost nearly $2/hr, last I recall. Lots are highway robbery most times. However, I was reading about this the other day:
http://www.iconparking.com/

I already knew that they had a large number of lots, but the article I saw said that you can reserve spots ahead of time with them, so you could price out the best lot, and have a guaranteed spot waiting for you.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tom- geeking around

Member # 2876

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 30, 2005 12:35      Profile for Tom- geeking around   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a parking service where I always walked past on my way from Penn station to the Intrepid museum *thinks back*.. Parking was less than 20 dollars for the entire day, with specials for events..

I think it was around 40th street and maybe 10th avenue???
But that is WAYYYY off where you should spend your tourist-day..
I can recommend you to just walk around to see and feel the city.-- but don't shop in NYC, as it can seriously bust your budget. Also, be prepared to be confronted with many people on the streets. When I was there last year around new years eve, there were thousands of people on the streets. Even NYC's streets couldn't take the pedestrians anymore.
But it might be not that bad when you'll be there.

Crap, now you are in NYC, and I am not! I chose not to fly to NYC this time because I wanted to take my drivers-ed classes to get my license... Too bad.. some other day then [Smile]

Thomas

--------------------
Pizza and ginormous jugs is what I need!

Posts: 374 | From: Vienna | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 30, 2005 20:48      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few of my friends have suggested going to see Wicked while we're in New York City. Anyone know if the box office gives discounts for AAA or the like? The cheapest tix are $50, and that's still much higher than I can afford to pay.

In which borough is Central Park located? How far away is the Metropolitan Museum of Art? Where's Times Square in relation to the two?

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 30, 2005 21:51      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A thought has crossed through my mind (frightening, I know!)...
Seriously, you may want to rethink driving into the city. Driving in Manhattan is no trivial task if you've never done it before and aren't familiar with the area. Oh, and even if one were to get a lousy parking spot away from all the 'tourist areas,' I'd just suggest getting a subway from there and taking it where you want to go. But um...driving in the city...might not be fun. Unless of course, you're driving at 3 AM, and catching every light. [Big Grin] *That* was a blast! Also, playing certain tracks off "OK Computer" takes me back to a night of getting ahead of a few cabs while cutting up 6th. However, I've got a bit of NY driving under my belt...and I've battled traffic on Flatbush in the evening rush hour and on weekends as well (hell, the double-parking is worse then, IMHO).

Just my $0.02...

Central Park:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=10021

--------------------

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 30, 2005 22:03      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is driving in NYC anything like driving in Philly or Pittsburgh, 'cause Philly driving is a piece of cake and driving in the 'Burgh isn't much different.

The iconParking site was really helpful 'cuase it allows you to select for various landmarks and showed where they were on the map and parking in relation. The difference in pricing among lots is rather large in some places, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised. It looks like we'll have a group of three, so splitting $9 for 13 hours of parking three ways is dirt cheap. I still have to price subway fares.

I'd go see Spamalot, but I haven't found tickets less than $135 (and to think I thought $50 for Wicked was bad!). Anyone from GC wanna meet for lunch or coffee somewhere? Or to just play tour guide for a while? [Wink]

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 30, 2005 22:51      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe I didn't say it clearly enough: New York [city] traffic can be hellish. It's not exactly newbie friendly. Don't say I didn't warn you. [Smile]

--------------------

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2005 17:14      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so I've talked with a bunch of Lancastrians who've been to NYC. They've all asked if we're taking the train. Considering Amtrak would get expensive for three of us (even with our AAA discounts), I'm thinking we'll drive to Newark, NJ, take PATH to Penn Station, then take the subway to Rockefeller station and other points of interest. Sound like a good plan to you, dman?

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2005 20:54      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
Okay, so I've talked with a bunch of Lancastrians who've been to NYC. They've all asked if we're taking the train. Considering Amtrak would get expensive for three of us (even with our AAA discounts), I'm thinking we'll drive to Newark, NJ, take PATH to Penn Station, then take the subway to Rockefeller station and other points of interest. Sound like a good plan to you, dman?

Yes.

(Of course, that means you actually have to pass through Jersey. [Razz] /me looks innocently at jung... [Wink] )

--------------------

Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2005 20:59      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to live in NYC, and I still travel there occasionally (not too often, though; I prefer the quiet of just-outside-NYC). It's been long enough where I couldn't give you directions, but the streets are laid out in a grid (Brooklyn is, anyway; I forget about Manhattan), so it's very difficult to truly get lost.

Driving in NYC is bad, but no worse than most other cities of equivalent size. Be prepared to dodge double-parked cars, though [Smile] . Parking is truly as bad as they say it is, though. The PATH train sounds like a good alternative; if I end up in NYU, that's how I plan on commuting.

Since you're going to be there the weekend before Christmas, the holiday displays should be out in full force. They are definitely worth seeing if you haven't seen them before; I have very fond memories of the NYC holiday displays.

Dragonman: It sounds like you live near where I used to (E. 29th and Ave. P).

Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2005 21:00      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:

Yes.

(Of course, that means you actually have to pass through Jersey. [Razz] /me looks innocently at jung... [Wink] )

And just what is wrong with Jersey? [Smile]

There are so many stereotypes about NJ, most of them completely wrong [Smile]

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2005 21:36      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I LOVE Jersey, especially the horse country. We used to go to the beach in Ocean City, but here of late we've been going to Rehoboth, DE. A friend of mine (OSG) lives in Cherry Hill, NJ.

In what part of the state do you live, aj? Wanna wake up early and meet us at the PATH station at Journal Square at 9am? [Wink] Or meet up later in New York? Same goes for you, Meta... and dragon, if he promises not to bite. [Razz]

--------------------

angryjungman

Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 13, 2005 06:11      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
In what part of the state do you live, aj? Wanna wake up early and meet us at the PATH station at Journal Square at 9am? [Wink] Or meet up later in New York? Same goes for you, Meta... and dragon, if he promises not to bite. [Razz]

I'm near Princeton. Steph and I have stuff to do this weekend, so a trip into the city is probably not going to happen.

Oh and /me moons dman. [Razz]

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 13, 2005 14:28      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm... if you're near Princeton, then you and Metasquares could get together. IIRC, he goes to Princeton (or is trying to get into Princeton).

I'm thinking instead of going to NYC on Saturday, I'll go to a ceili in Philly Friday night. It starts at 9pm, so that'll definitely kill activities for Saturday morning!

--------------------

Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 14, 2005 21:25      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trying to get in... I haven't been accepted yet, nor will I know until March.

Thanks for the offer, but I can't make it to the city; I have finals.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture