homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Fun with Sickness

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fun with Sickness
Luke Skywalker
Assimilated
Member # 3096

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2005 17:00      Profile for Luke Skywalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So ya. Im having fun with different types of diseases and doctors who cant make up their minds.

It all started friday, when I got a flu shot. Never had one before so I didnt know what to expect. Had a sore throat, mild, saturday, didnt think much of it. Wake up Sunday, sick as a dog, all sorts of flu symptoms, fever, chills, shakes, and still the sore throat. Go to campus med center on monday, they say I had a reaction to the flu shot, nothing to worry about, its pretty normal, Ill be ok (note, I still have the sore throat). Because the sore throat is not a flu symptom, and I had it before and after the reaction, they check me for strep throat. Quick test is negative, Culture (good test) takes 3 days, they say they call Wed. Well, Wed, the college closed down for Thanksgiving. So they dont call me.
Tuesday, swelling of everything in throat, really bad. Wed: still bad. Today....

So today, my mom comes and picks me up this morning from dorm. We had Thanksgiving at my aunts which is close by the college. Im still bad, and she finally gets to see me for first time (shes been hearing about it all week). She takes me to ER. Spend 4 hrs there. They look at me, hear story, agree with campus health that I had a reaction, and now say its either strep or mono. I hear mono and im like ok... not good (never heard that mono gives you a sore throat, just sleepyness). They do both tests, no to strep; Its mono. Ugg. So ya. Im stuck with a sore throat for probably a week more, and then sleepyness for a month and a half more.

Only good thing, I have Christmas break coming up. Plenty of time to recoup.
Other good thing is, I know who gave it to me, one of my friends. He also gave it to his girlfriend. He had it over the summer, and got well, but ure still transmissible for 6 months after it. We hang out a bunch so ya.

This should be interesting...

--------------------
Use the Force, Luke.

Posts: 406 | From: The Line Between Time and Space | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
musicbunnydancing
Geek Apprentice
Member # 3756

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2005 18:31      Profile for musicbunnydancing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aww I'm sorry to hear that. Mono...you can get that from kissing [Wink] Hope you get better!

P.S. that rumor is true...I know personally. [Eek!] [evil]

Posts: 46 | From: Paris, France | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2005 23:15      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by musicbunnydancing:
Mono...you can get that from kissing [Wink]

Ah yes, the kissing disease, known exclusively as that to most people. I feel bad for those who just get it from taking a drink out of someone elses soda [crazy]

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
musicbunnydancing
Geek Apprentice
Member # 3756

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2005 01:34      Profile for musicbunnydancing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alfrin:
quote:
Originally posted by musicbunnydancing:
Mono...you can get that from kissing [Wink]

Ah yes, the kissing disease, known exclusively as that to most people. I feel bad for those who just get it from taking a drink out of someone elses soda [crazy]
Oh no! *Laughing* that really sucks when that happens...I got it from kissing...I was 12...Mum wasn't too happy about that...James the english boy who have it to me was even more upset...he gave me mono...I gave him a headeach. [Wink] [Razz]
Posts: 46 | From: Paris, France | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Elvermere
Geek
Member # 2456

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 26, 2005 04:35      Profile for Elvermere     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My GOD!

Your BF was Zaphod? [crazy]

--------------------
Duct Tape is like the force.
It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

Posts: 113 | From: Perth, West AU | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Uberism
Maximum Newbie
Member # 4653

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 06, 2005 10:19      Profile for Uberism         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never had mono but I hear that it's miserable and that you can't eat anything--

--------------------
I make stuff up...sometimes

Posts: 18 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 06, 2005 10:33      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Elvermere:
My GOD!

Your BF was Zaphod? [crazy]

I get it! I get it!
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kinguy
Geek
Member # 4527

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 06, 2005 10:34      Profile for Kinguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I had a run in with mono. I turned out alot better then the person I caught it from though. Haven't really recovered from the tiredness though. Damn you sleep debt, DAMN YOU!

Though, for some reason, my appettite raised. I do that sometimes when I get sick. Or all the time, I can never remember. I have always tend to be the healthy one in the family.

magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 06, 2005 13:58      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had mono. Lasted 7 weeks. And sinusitis multiple times - counting the sinusitis and the resulting bronchitis, it generally lasts 3-5 weeks, with the possibility of a recurrence a few weeks later.

Yeah, I have a crappy immune system.

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture