homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » America me? Ok Lets go!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: America me? Ok Lets go!
musicbunnydancing
Geek Apprentice
Member # 3756

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted November 23, 2005 23:59      Profile for musicbunnydancing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everyone, well I have not been around these forums for a while, but you all can guess why. [Wink]

Anyway my boyfriend's company is moving him to New York we just found out. And of course I'm going with him. Does anyone know what New York is like in America? And will they hate a french lady? Oh I'm going to meet his parents, I'm scared. [crazy]

Posts: 46 | From: Paris, France | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
YaYawoman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2005 00:14      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't be scared. New York is great! You will love it. Many will be so fascinated with your accent, don't worry about them not liking you because you are french. Your future in-laws, oh boy, more family. Once they realize your boyfriend loves and chose you, they will be happy for him and you.
Posts: 765 | From: virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted November 24, 2005 00:17      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Expect to be made fun of. But wait!!! this is a good thing, because if they really didn't like you, they probably wouldn't say anything at all.

The american-french rivalry is a lot like the american-canadian rivalry, but more intense. It doesn't really mean much in the long run, but it's still fun to take part in.

And I have to agree, I think the sexiness of a French accent will save you from any real verbal abuse [Wink]

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2005 00:45      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think New York likes a French lady
 -

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
musicbunnydancing
Geek Apprentice
Member # 3756

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2005 02:50      Profile for musicbunnydancing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nerdwithnofriends:
Expect to be made fun of. But wait!!! this is a good thing, because if they really didn't like you, they probably wouldn't say anything at all.

The american-french rivalry is a lot like the american-canadian rivalry, but more intense. It doesn't really mean much in the long run, but it's still fun to take part in.

And I have to agree, I think the sexiness of a French accent will save you from any real verbal abuse [Wink]

[Big Grin] Well in that case...some french is in order...

merci, ja vais tres bien! Je m'appelle Mademoiselle Avril Belle Russell. [Wink]
Comment vas-tu?

Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2005 03:21      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bien merci!

When I visited New York, unfortunately only for a few days, I found nobody prepared to live up their legendary reputation for rudeness. On the contrary people were very hospitable and charmed me completely. It is a great city, and I can not imagine anyone not loving it. Of course it also has a very ruthless and materialistic side to it too, but so has Paris and I love Paris too.

The only bad side to my visit, and it may well be that I was unlucky, was that I did not find anywhere really good to eat out, and indeed I had I think the blandest, most character free restaurant food that I have ever tasted. This was all the more disappointing as often it looked terrific on the plate

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2005 03:37      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ca gaz par ici, sauf que j'ai une crève de ouf et que je dois tout de même bosser.

Il y a des jours ou j'aurais vraiment voulu rester au lit.

Puis bon, les Parigoths faut dire que nous, en province, on aime pas [Wink] [Razz]

De toute façon suis pas provinciaux, suis Suisse, un bon Genevois.

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted November 24, 2005 03:58      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Et puis, si le français te manque, Ney York n'est qu'à quelques heures de route du Québec!

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChildeRoland
Alpha Geek
Member # 3880

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2005 04:36      Profile for ChildeRoland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok. Where'd I leave my bat?

--------------------
=====================
Childe Roland

musicbunnydancing
Geek Apprentice
Member # 3756

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2005 04:55      Profile for musicbunnydancing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ChildeRoland:
Ok. Where'd I leave my bat?

Haha.
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2005 07:18      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey there...let me be the first to extend a warm welcome to you. [Smile] I'm not in the city, but near enough. [Big Grin]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
musicbunnydancing
Geek Apprentice
Member # 3756

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2005 13:00      Profile for musicbunnydancing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Hey there...let me be the first to extend a warm welcome to you. [Smile] I'm not in the city, but near enough. [Big Grin]

Aww thank you. [Big Grin]
cheryl
Mini Geek
Member # 4566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2005 02:07      Profile for cheryl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
personally, i have never been to america, I dont tend to venture out of England (i can see the world through my lap top and web connection!)
so when you get there, tell us what its like [Big Grin]

--------------------
dont bother running, you'll only die tired!

Posts: 65 | From: 3rd planet from the sun | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2005 05:03      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cheryl:
personally, i have never been to america, I dont tend to venture out of England (i can see the world through my lap top and web connection!)
so when you get there, tell us what its like [Big Grin]

Well, you should. The first time I went to NY I was sure that as soon as I stepped out of the airport some hooded junkie (being chased by a maverick cop who's regretting having given up smoking just this week, and whose wife is leaving him due his heavy drinking and all the overtime he spends trying to rid this goddamned city of scum, whilst trying not to further enrage his no-good pencil-pushing Captain, who he can't keep off his ass, and always has his ass on the line, and is always busting his ass, plus many other ass-related cliches, and he can tell the commissioner to shove his badge up his ass, as he doesn't have a goddamn clue about life on the tough streets, and also, the Captain is nearing retirement and doesn't want this loose-cannon-but-a-goddamn-good-cop to louse things up yet again just as he's about to get his gold carriage clock... you know the rest... ) - was going to stab me in the head for crack-money, when actually, it was quite pleasant.

Folks is genuinely more friendly over thar. We over here realise what cynical, miserable sons-a-bitches we can be (esp. to tourists) once we encounter real hospitality somewhere else.

And the breakfasts... mmm...

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2005 07:06      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My only time in Manhattan I was driving through after visiting an ex-girlfriend. I ended up taking a wrong turn and getting lost in the Bronx. The humour in it was that it was I was genuinely terrified since I'd heard stories.

As it turned out, I went to a gas station, and asked a cabby if he could give me directions. He was probably one of the most helpful, decent people I've ever met. He pulled out a piece of paper, and drew me a map of all the roads I needed to get back where I was going, and I was back on the highway in no time at all.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2005 09:58      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bibo:
I think New York likes a French lady

So does supa: Melissa Theuriau. Phwoaaar! [hearts] [Eek!]
Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2005 16:50      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My sister is in college in NYC so I go up and visit her once in a while. I personally don't like the city...very noisy, very crowded, and extremely cramped. But my sister loves it there, and I'm sure you'll like it there if you're with the right people (i.e. your boyfriend).

Don't worry about people not liking you; New York is a very multi-cultural city. I'm sure people will find your Parisian accent very lovely [Smile]

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2005 19:13      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Douglas Adams summed it up best (apoligies for the misquote) - "If you have to stay in NY for a while, get a job as a cab driver. The fact that you don't know the language or the basic layout of the city is, oddly, not seen as a hinderance there."

NYC is an enigma. It is such a melting pot that ANYONE/ANYTHING can fit right in. It is both the most cosmopolitan and most provincial city in the world. Aliens could be landing in central park and someone in Greenwich Village could hear about it and not want to go see because it "all the way uptown".

You can speak in any language on the planet and someone on the subway will understand you. And yet, the people in most public service jobs speak in a way that most English speakers can't understand.

As far as being French. No one in NYC cares. NYC loves the rest of the world. We all hate our President. You won't get any special treatment for being French, nor will you get any worse treatment. You're just another one of us.

Unless you're obviously a tourist. Then the scam artists will try to rob you. But, it sounds like you boyfriend is from NY, so he'll know what to do.

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2005 22:07      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Je suis une grande poulet!

Et c'est treis bien!

Non?

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

musicbunnydancing
Geek Apprentice
Member # 3756

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2005 23:15      Profile for musicbunnydancing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

As far as being French. No one in NYC cares. NYC loves the rest of the world. We all hate our President. You won't get any special treatment for being French, nor will you get any worse treatment. You're just another one of us.
[/QB]

Good to find out. I don't want any special treatment, I just want to blend in and have a nice life there. [Wink]
TomtheMacMan
Geek Larva
Member # 2127

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 26, 2005 13:31      Profile for TomtheMacMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya, I've been to NYC a lot, and let me be one of the many to say that it's an incredible place. There are 2 different experiences though, the tourist, and the regular person. The tourist experience can be quite scary, and quite intimidating. The regular person experience is quite nice though. Just make sure that for the first month or so you're always with someone who knows the city.

Also, a big thing is to just to keep the mentality of not caring what anyone thinks about you. If you do that, nobody cares what you are like in a bad way, and nobody will bother you.

And a little hint... don't look up and stare at tall buildings. If you just keep focused ahead, and keep in your conversation, you'll be fine, and nobody will even know that you haven't been there for quite some time.

Oh, and if you need any of this in French, I'm decent with it, so just let me know.

--------------------
-Tom

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture