homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Inner turmoil

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Inner turmoil
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 22, 2005 22:39      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been havning trouble sleeping lately. A lot of trouble. I've tried blaming it on different things, including my former job (whcih was night-shift), but I now think it's a different problem.

I've googled a whole bunch and tried everything I can think of to make myself go to sleep when i get tired and lie down, but instead of sleeping I just lie there and think.

I think about all sorts of different things. From how to grow.. uhm... herbs inside a computer case to concepts I'm working on for my future eventual students to the details of the production of my CD. Everything gets thought about in intamate detail, choices weighed, decisions made. What kind of wire to use, what type of lighting is best, how to provide adequete airflow, how to reduce moisture while maintaining wet soil, how to teach "lisening" and the value of what you hear when it's quiet vs what you miss out on when it's noisy, how to copyright, how to market, how to distribute, what cover art, how to set up the recording "studio", how to minimize noise... etc, etc.... ad infinum!

The problem, I think, is not that I can't sleep, or that I can't use some tactic or procedure (i.e. counting sheep) to help me get to sleep. The problem is that I don't want to sleep. I'd much rather stay awake and perfect my creative ideas. They are creative, they stem from the creative part of me that is often under-expressed. I love to think about these things, to perfect all the details, to examine them from every view.. looking for cracks and filling them in with more creative ideas.

I have an inner turmoil. I want to sleep, my body is tired, I can't keep getting up at noon after going to bed at 4 AM, but I want to think about these creative thoughts. I don't know how to "fix" this and the problem is that, deep down, I don't want to.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted November 22, 2005 23:00      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm, it sounds like you are a lot like me-- someone who likes to 'live in their head'.

I often fail to fall asleep at a decent time because I just lie awake thinking about things. What I find really helps is taking 'power naps', or short naps when you most need them. For example, if I take a half-hour to an hour nap right about lunchtime (11:30-ish), it refreshes me more than eight hours of sleep at night would. Any other time, and it would just make me more tired, but if it's right in that little time slot, it helps tremendously.

Also, I heard that sleep is most effective when taken in multiples of 90 minute intervals-- so you may not fall asleep 'till 04:30, but if you get four and a half hours of sleep, that's supposedly better than five hours of sleep.

But whatever.

These are just my suggestions, because I have a huge problem with falling asleep in class/being tired/not having a lot of energy.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

Elvermere
Geek
Member # 2456

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 22, 2005 23:02      Profile for Elvermere     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi MMK

I've got an incredibly creative friend who was addicted to caffeine pills, coffee and various stimulants to avoid going to sleep for this exact same reason.

His solution was to ALWAYS carry a little notepad and pen. And whenever he got a creative idea, into the pad it went. And then every couple of weeks he used to stick them in a computer file (could have been a db, I can't recall). He would find that the ideas made more sense and was able to flesh them out more that way.

I'm not sure if that is an answer to you, but it may be worth a shot.

However the ability to be productive while sleep deprived is very low. Work with emergency services shows that. Even the best people make mistakes after 12hours of no sleep.

I'll have to agree with you though....why do we have to sleep? There isn't enough hours in the day as it is!

--------------------
Duct Tape is like the force.
It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

Posts: 113 | From: Perth, West AU | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
cheryl
Mini Geek
Member # 4566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 23, 2005 01:11      Profile for cheryl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
in all honesty why would you want to?! you have a lot of ideas that need to be expressed and if you do your best thinking during the day, then just let it be.
but if really want to sleep, i suggest you start doing more creative things during the day to satisfy your need, then you will be able to sleep. or the simple way is just to get some knock out pills from the doctor and say nighty night! [Big Grin]

--------------------
dont bother running, you'll only die tired!

Posts: 65 | From: 3rd planet from the sun | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 23, 2005 06:17      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem that comes into play is, like said before, you begin to make mistakes, and not be as useful anymore after so long, so depriving yourself of sleep in the end does you worse.

You will get more accomplished, and do better work in the 16 hours you're awake, assuming you sleep for 8, than you would in 20 hours assuming you slept for 4. Know what I mean?

And about what nwnf said, your body sleeps in cycles, it's different for everyone, but if you wake up while in your deepest form of sleep, you'll be groggier than if you wake up in your lightest form. Even if you were in your lighter after 6 hours, and deeper after 8. It's different for everyone, but that's why if you *can* get away with not using an alarm clock to get up, and getting up naturally, you're better off.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 23, 2005 07:38      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely keep a pad and pen beside your bed. You'll find it easier to sleep if you can just write down those ideas buggering you before sleep, knowing you won't forget them. Plus, dreaming can be very creative. Be ready to write down the best (or most remarkable) ones when you wake up.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted November 23, 2005 10:31      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mmkk: instead of pumping yourself full of sleep-inducing chemicals, why not simply try to physically tire yourself out before going to bed? Give push-ups a shot; those usually get the job done. Just make sure you don't stop until you get to the point where your limbs feel like they're about to fall off, and the only thought remaining in your head is along the lines of "I think Iím about to die." After that, crawl back into bed, and prey to your favorite deity that your alarm clock goes off in the morning.
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 23, 2005 13:20      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am also going through a spell of "will my brain shut up and let me sleep." I have been taking one Tylenol PM and it seems to work. Once I'm asleep I stay a sleep, but I need to shut my brain up first.

As for the creative part. A notepad or mini tape recorder is a nice solution.

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture