homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » I got my Smart!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I got my Smart!
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted November 17, 2005 10:12      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On November 1st, I called the car dealer: "Your car is at Halifax, it should arrive in two weeks - maybe one."

On November 14th, I called again: "Your car is still marked at Halifax, but it doesn't mean it hasn't moved at all - just that it hasn't arrived yet. You're the second next on our list, you should get it this week."

Now we're Thursday, I still haven't heard from them, the "Salon du livre de Montréal" (Montreal's major book fair) begins today and I plan to attend this Saturday, plus I'm tired of going grocery shopping by bus...

I want my Smart! [cry baby]

Oh, and I plan to personnalise it, but I'm not sure if I'll have it painted, or have the design made on some sort of a plastic sheet to be laid on the doors. What do the car-geeks around here think would be best?

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2005 12:07      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't paint it. It could hurt resale value, and if it's not done professionally, will make you wish you never did it.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted November 17, 2005 12:16      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're getting a Smart Car???? oh cool!

How about a giant propeller beanie for the top? [Big Grin]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2005 12:32      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
How about a giant propeller beanie for the top? [Big Grin]

I must say I'd be a little afraid it would raise its fuel consumption (4,2 l/100 km is something to boast about!), though it would be nice to have a small one to dangle off the mirror... But you're right, a giant one on top would boost my geek factor a few folds! Then again, one could think it's a mini-copter!

Edit: I can totally picture it! It would be a black version of the Flagada!
 -

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
RScottV

SuperFan!
Member # 3540

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2005 15:39      Profile for RScottV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, they have a really cool web page!

In the US version, there is a "Smart Fridge" where you put magnetic poetry words on the fridge and then it answers questions about the car.

Please tell us about the car when you get it. I am very curious!

Posts: 211 | From: Saint Paul, MN | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted November 28, 2005 16:46      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah! At long last, I got it! My own little Smart Fortwo Coupé!

Smooth drive, once you get the hand of the semi-automatic shifting. I'll add more later, as I have a homework due tomorrow and I have hardly begun. It will give me more time to get used to it, so I'll be able to say more. But I have it! [Applause] [Big Grin] [thumbsup]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted November 28, 2005 21:56      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sweet! post hot pix!

I like some of the styles they offer... in Japan anyway.

-
 -

can I have a ride??? [Big Grin]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 29, 2005 01:48      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh... those patterns always reminded me of the Flower Power and Blue Dalmation iMacs.

Do some cool parking, Stereo!

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alephcat
Alpha Geek
Member # 2617

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 29, 2005 05:42      Profile for Alephcat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DNM iirc with a smart car you do not paint it, it has panels which you change rarther like mobile phone covers. So even if you make a mess of it you can still go back to the original colour

--------------------
"You have the right to search in silence. If you give up the right to search in silence, anything you say can and will be modded down in a court of public opinion."

Posts: 300 | From: Chester | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 29, 2005 10:16      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
sweet! post hot pix!

I like some of the styles they offer... in Japan anyway.

-
 -

can I have a ride??? [Big Grin]

They do most of them in the UK too Snaggy. We drove past one with the Two colourscheme today [Smile]

A few years ago I even saw a Pikachu one in Edgware for sale 2nd hand at £5000.

If you want, you can get transparent body panels to put your own colourscheme on (or fill with flowers/fish etc).

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 7 posted November 29, 2005 13:23      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Around here I'd be afraid that someone would pick it up and
walk off with it. [Big Grin]

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 29, 2005 16:17      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is too cute!!!
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
cheryl
Mini Geek
Member # 4566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 30, 2005 01:02      Profile for cheryl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
from the title i could not guess you were talking about cars... but it's still pretty cute [Big Grin]

--------------------
dont bother running, you'll only die tired!

Posts: 65 | From: 3rd planet from the sun | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Powderhound
Maximum Newbie
Member # 4519

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 30, 2005 18:56      Profile for Powderhound     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
they are uber-funky; just be careful where you park it stereo; kids (especially college students on saturday nights, if you know what i mean) have been known to slither out of parties and make a "sport" of flipping them on their sides or roofs; heck, back in high school some buddies and i carried our favourite teacher's mini (the original, not not the mini-bimmie) over the boards at our outdoor rink and left it at centre ice ((or is centre "h'ice" for our friends from la belle province)), and i think a mini is heavier than a smart; i don't know about you, but if someone did that to my new smart, i'd be lookin' to buy a mil-spec tazer [evil]
Posts: 13 | From: Calgary, AB | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 01, 2005 06:48      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Powerhound, I'd forgotten about that. I had a friend in college, who had some tiny car. Can't remember now what. The guys in the honours dorm used to like to move it to the flower beds.
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 01, 2005 06:58      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me and about 8 or 10 other guys once picked up an old Chevette of another friend and moved it like 10 parking spaces down, and one row over once.

The look on the owner's face when he got back to his car was PRICELESS.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture