homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Spelling nazis on the internet

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Spelling nazis on the internet
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 13, 2005 14:31      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so proud to have worked at Sears. [Roll Eyes]

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/vertical.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=FIT

In case they find and fix it

-

Good job with the spellcheck guys. [Applause]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted November 13, 2005 14:49      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Peebs - I think you'll like this...

A job was advertised on the intranet at my work, and a key quality in prospective applicants was " attention to deatil".

You couldn't make it up [Big Grin]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 13, 2005 15:19      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some years ago, I was working for an offshoot of the National Westminster Bank in the UK. As large companies often do, they decided the best way to increase profits was to change logos. For months before its introduction we were pestered with emails about the new logo, and reminders that all documents which use the company logo should link to a certain file on the company LAN, so that when the change happened, the new logo would be included automatically.

The big day arrived, truckloads of new stationary were delivered to offices throughout the UK, everyone got new letterhead, business cards, diaries, you name it, all with the new logo, for 'National Westminister Bank'.

It was all recalled the same day, and pulped.

Your mortgage payments at work,

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted November 14, 2005 07:12      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:
Peebs - I think you'll like this...

A job was advertised on the intranet at my work, and a key quality in prospective applicants was " attention to deatil".

You couldn't make it up [Big Grin]

Don't you know? It's a way to screen applicants. If the motivation letter doesn't include "by the way, you spelled/spelt ( [Big Grin] ) 'detail' wrong", the applicant is disregarded.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted November 14, 2005 07:19      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by Stereo
quote:
If the motivation letter doesn't include "by the way, you spelled/spelt "detail' wrong", the applicant is disregarded.
[Applause] And if you combine this with throwing away, unopened, all the applications where the postage stamp is not parallel with the edge of the envelope, you can reduce recruitment time by half [Big Grin]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uberism
Maximum Newbie
Member # 4653

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2005 11:49      Profile for Uberism         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A dentist once sent me a flyer that was worth $100 dollars off of my next 'teatment'-- I just had to call and let them know. They could have used both predictive texting/writing and spell check -just incase teatment is a real word-usually used when talking about cows.

--------------------
I make stuff up...sometimes

Posts: 18 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture