homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » So Here I am... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: So Here I am...
Crewgeekette
Mini Geek
Member # 4506

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 31, 2005 21:24      Profile for Crewgeekette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So it's November! [Big Grin] I really like November, my Mom's b-day is tomarrow, hummm...what should I get her?

Well these are the things I'm thinking about...lol and I'm putting of my essay as long as I can.. [Embarrassed]

So how's everyone today?

--------------------
SHOUT OUTS TOO: KD my sister, my friend...my alarm clock. lol

Posts: 71 | From: Under an apple tree in fall | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
ChildeRoland
Alpha Geek
Member # 3880

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 01, 2005 04:19      Profile for ChildeRoland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
So how's everyone today?

Can't speak for anyone else, but life around here sucks slightly more than usual today (which is saying a lot...)

--------------------
=====================
Childe Roland

Alephcat
Alpha Geek
Member # 2617

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 01, 2005 05:42      Profile for Alephcat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like November too, but my birthday is in a weeks time [Big Grin]

Edit: my work really likes November, they like it so much the forgot the 11th on the calendar they handed out to us. The 11th is of course rememberace day which makes it doubly ironic

--------------------
"You have the right to search in silence. If you give up the right to search in silence, anything you say can and will be modded down in a court of public opinion."

Posts: 300 | From: Chester | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 01, 2005 06:09      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FSCK November. [Big Grin]

I'm moving in two weeks. My birthday was last week. Very very busy. Nothing interesting in my life happens in Nov. October is the magical month.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 01, 2005 19:45      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm! My father's birthday is today.

Coincidence!?!

OR IS IT!?!!??!

Probably.

Never mind.

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 01, 2005 20:06      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
November is an exceptionally dull month to me. However...if I can keep from procrastinating, that /might/ change for this year.

Oh, and I need to get my car inspected by the end of the month...

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2005 04:14      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
November.... really already... (looks round surprised...) fsck! Now I will have to buy Danielle that bike she wanted...

November ... Guy Fawkes... fallen of Flanders (and elsewhere)... Danielle's birthday... horrid run up to the pre Xmas season...

Move on out truckers.... nothing to see here....

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
The White Tree
Geek
Member # 4040

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2005 13:30      Profile for The White Tree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went home last weekend for the first time in 4 months, and now this month will suck until I go home for thanksgiving. I really forgot how much I missed home and how beautiful my girlfriend really is...
Posts: 201 | From: York, PA, residing/school at NNPTC at NWS Charleston, SC. | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2005 15:06      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You came home and didn't let me know it?! We could've had our very own GC mini-m00t. [Wink]

November means I need to replace the registration sticker on my license plate. I tried to peel off the old one, but it wouldn't come off. Any suggestions on how to do it? (If push comes to shove, I'll leave the old one on until a cop pulls me over, then I'll have him change it for me!)

EDIT: Changed "back of my car" to "license plate."

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2005 16:10      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The way I've done it for years - hot water and a razor/scraper. Go to your local hardware store, and buy a scraper/holder - it takes one straight razor blade. One of these:
Stanley Tools: 28-593 - 7" Window Scraper

Costs a few bucks, takes dirt-cheap utility knife blades. Run your tap for awhile on hot, and put some water in a pot or other container, and bring the water, knife, and some paper towelling out to your car. Wet the sticker, and scrape it off, keeping the blade tight against the glass. Window cleaner can be used for the finishing touch.

/me thought this is how everyone did it...

Edit: Whoa...that was my 5001st post! That crept up on me.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChildeRoland
Alpha Geek
Member # 3880

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2005 16:11      Profile for ChildeRoland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why not just put the new one over the old one?

--------------------
=====================
Childe Roland

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2005 16:12      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ChildeRoland:
Why not just put the new one over the old one?

Because it's stuck to the glass? Kind of hard to do, IMHO - at least in NY, we stick ours to the glass... (SE corner of the windshield, when looking at it whilst in front of the hood.)

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2005 16:44      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The procedure dman describes above used to be an annual ritual for me, but of late they've been using a new adhesive that peels off quite easily.
Aint modern technology grand?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2005 17:35      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Umm, my INSPECTION and EMISSION stickers are on my glass. My REGISTRATION sticker is on my license plate. I don't know that your hot water technique will work on that kind of sticker. I'll look into using a razor.

PennDOT's instructions specifically said to remove the old sticker and afix the new one.

--------------------

HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted November 02, 2005 18:29      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure Michigan has that somewhere in the instructions to.

I've had the same plate for 14 years now and I'm waiting to see
if the annual stickers are just going to fall off from their own weight [crazy]

Whatever adhesive they use in there is GOOD!

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2005 18:34      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So you pretty much just paste the new one on top of the old one(s), HalfVast? You haven't had any problems with them falling off?

--------------------

HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted November 02, 2005 18:44      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nah, whatever that stuff is they should use it to build airplanes or somthing.
I can't get the old ones off (though I do clean them with some
409 before I put the new one on).

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2005 18:45      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
The procedure dman describes above used to be an annual ritual for me, but of late they've been using a new adhesive that peels off quite easily.
Aint modern technology grand?

Well, the process has improved a lot in NY in the last few years, but not that grand. They moved to a system where only the outer ~1.5 cm is adhesive - the middle is paper, so all you have to peel/scrape is the outer border. Maybe someday we'll get to your advanced level of adhesives. [Wink]

Rhonwyyn...you didn't have to shout - it wasn't quite obvious at first that you meant your plates. Oh, and in Westchester, inspections include emissions, and that is on the windshield alongside the registration. (Other counties [such as Putnam - to the north of us] don't have the same strict emissions standards as we do, and they just have a simpler inspection sticker.)

--------------------

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2005 18:50      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'Tweren't shouting, dman. Just trying to make it obvious which words I was using and specifically with which one I needed assistance.

quote:
Oh, and in Westchester, inspections include emissions, and that is on the windshield alongside the registration.
So you have three stickers on your windshield? Or are you continuing to confuse your registration sticker with your inspection sticker?

EDIT: Hmmm... so maybe you're not completely crazy. Apparently Texas prints registration stickers for windshields to cut down on theft: http://www.dot.state.tx.us/vtr/news/2005/002-2005.htm . Also, Philly had piloted a windshield registration sticker program in 2000, but it's either been scrapped since then or didn't catch on enough to go statewide.

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2005 18:59      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
'Tweren't shouting, dman. Just trying to make it obvious which words I was using and specifically with which one I needed assistance.

quote:
Oh, and in Westchester, inspections include emissions, and that is on the windshield alongside the registration.
So you have three stickers on your windshield? Or are you continuing to confuse your registration sticker with your inspection sticker?

EDIT: Hmmm... so maybe you're not completely crazy. Apparently Texas prints registration stickers for windshields to cut down on theft: http://www.dot.state.tx.us/vtr/news/2005/002-2005.htm

How goddamned stupid do you think I am to mix my own words up? I meant every word I said. We have two stickers on our windshield - our vehicle registration (once every 2 years), and vehicle inspection sticker (part of the inspection process is emissions testing).

--------------------

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2005 19:03      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you don't have an emissions sticker, how do authorities know if your car passed emissions or is exempt?

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2005 19:05      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
If you don't have an emissions sticker, how do authorities know if your car passed emissions or is exempt?

You really cannot read, can you?

I take my car to the garage, and get it inspected. While there, the gentlemen who run the shop test my car for emissions - it's a state certified process, and the rate for the inspection is fixed. You also have to be lucky to find a shop that actually has a working emissions tester, as they're routinely dead when you need your car inspected.

--------------------

fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted November 02, 2005 19:10      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Can you (or do you) not read?

quote:
Originally posted by Dragonman97:
and vehicle inspection sticker (part of the inspection process is emissions testing).

quote:
Originally posted by Dragonman97:
Oh, and in Westchester, inspections include emissions, and that is on the windshield alongside the registration. (Other counties [such as Putnam - to the north of us] don't have the same strict emissions standards as we do, and they just have a simpler inspection sticker.)

Edit: I see dragonman97 has already pointed this out, yet again, but based on his previous success, my comment stands.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2005 19:14      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can read. You just aren't explaining well.

Here in PA, it's a two-step process. Emissions testing was only introduced about two years ago. We go into the garage, get our car inspected and have the sticker applied to our windshield, then, depending on the year, the mechanic gives our car a visual emissions test, waives the emissions test, or attaches it to a machine to ensure the equipment on our car is working correctly. Provided we pass the emissions inspection, we get a second sticker. It is possible to pass inspection but fail emissions.

Auto registration is an entirely different process. That sticker goes on the upper left-hand corner of our license plate. Cars only require one license plate in PA and that is afixed to the rear of the vehicle.

Understand now why your explanation (if it was one) didn't make any sense?

[i]According to this recent article, Philly doesn't require registration stickers in rear windows. They've gone completely to license plate stickers.[.i]

--------------------

fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted November 02, 2005 19:19      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I can read. You just aren't explaining well.

Understand now why your explanation (if it was one) didn't make any sense?

The explanation makes perfect sense. One just needs to postulate that there is life outside of Pennsylvania that may do things differently.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture