homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Geekiest. Watch. EVER.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Geekiest. Watch. EVER.
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 6 posted October 30, 2005 18:17            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, Pamela was flipping through channels on the TV when she ran across the Shop at Home Network...and look at what she found:
quote:
Fossil Wrist PDA Watch

Cutting edge technology! This is the most portable and convenient PDA ever invented!

This stylish wrist watch will definitely get attention with its sleek, contemporary lines and dazzling assortment of eye-catching icons. Yet it's far more than just an attractive fashion statement. This watch features the world's smallest PDA device, an incredibly stylish and convenient way to organize your life!

And at a price of only $39.98! Apparently, Shop At Home bought up the last supplies of this watch from Fossil, and are selling them at a serious discount. Heck, I remember drooling over this watch in a store when they were selling for $150!

Pamela made a good catch finding this deal...and I needed a new watch anyway, as my old Casio calculator watch (with built-in phone book and scheduler) is on its last legs. So I ordered one. Supreme geek chic! [Geek]

(Specs: Motorola Super Dragonball VZ/66 MHz, 8 Mb RAM, 4 Mb flash, 160x160 touchscreen in 16-level grayscale with backlight, PalmOS 4.1 with all standard applications, USB and IrDA connectivity. It has more impressive specs than my old Palm VII organizer! And hopefully the USB interface will work with the Linux-based Palm tools...)

IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 31, 2005 00:07      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amazon is also clearing them out for $50 (Shop at home is charging $10.99 for shipping).

"...attractive fashion statement" [shake head] For us geeks perhaps, but I'd hardly call them fashionable!

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 31, 2005 09:42      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did anyone see that PDA watch that connected to an Apple II via infrared? It had about 8kb of storage or something, but it had quite a high-resolution display. It was all over some Mac-related website for ages, but I can't remember where.
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 31, 2005 10:08      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I need a new watch, but that might be more tech than I need. LOL
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted October 31, 2005 19:53            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by maximile:
Did anyone see that PDA watch that connected to an Apple II via infrared? It had about 8kb of storage or something, but it had quite a high-resolution display. It was all over some Mac-related website for ages, but I can't remember where.

That could have been this same watch, as it does have infrared...but it has quite a bit more than 8Kb of storage.

My present watch has somewhat less than that, being capable of storing 50 phone numbers or scheduler entries, with some text and digits for each. But it's old and battered, and the keypad's fallen off twice by now; I superglued it back on, but I think the stiffness of the glue is reducing the sensitivity of the keypad. I think this watch is something like 10 years old...

Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted November 13, 2005 19:38            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately, the watch hasn't arrived yet. On Friday, I got concerned and called up ShopAtHomeTV. Apparently, the watches weren't scheduled to ship until November 15, being drop-shipped from another company. So it'll be a little while longer. (At least I know that they didn't try to deliver it here, leave it on the doorstep, and have it stolen!)
cheryl
Mini Geek
Member # 4566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2005 01:10      Profile for cheryl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i need a new watch, my usb storage watch is acting up [weep] i really loved that watch..

--------------------
dont bother running, you'll only die tired!

Posts: 65 | From: 3rd planet from the sun | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted November 15, 2005 22:27            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ShopAtHome tells me that all the watches got shipped today, though the tracking numbers haven't been updated in their system. They ship FedEx, which means that, hopefully, it'll be here by Friday.
Uberism
Maximum Newbie
Member # 4653

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2005 11:45      Profile for Uberism         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They kinda cool looking though

--------------------
I make stuff up...sometimes

Posts: 18 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted November 19, 2005 20:28            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still hasn't arrived yet. I'm hoping that Monday will bring good news. (Heaven knows we could use some; see my latest new thread...)
cheryl
Mini Geek
Member # 4566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 22, 2005 01:08      Profile for cheryl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
are you still waiting for that watch??

--------------------

Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted November 23, 2005 19:24            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cheryl:
are you still waiting for that watch??

Yes, actually. [Confused] I got out of work early today, but no deliveries showed up. If it doesn't come on Friday I'm going to call the ShopAtHome people again and yell at someone. Does FedEx have a "Slow Boat To China" service they didn't tell me about?!?!?
cheryl
Mini Geek
Member # 4566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2005 01:10      Profile for cheryl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ha ha, thats the postal service for ya [Roll Eyes] !! They probably love the watch so much they cant stop playing with it! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted November 30, 2005 13:56            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am informed by Pamela that the watch has FINALLY been delivered today...not long after I called ShopAtHome up again and got the news from them, as well as the UPS tracking number (!).

More info after I actually get home and get my mitts on the thing.

Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted November 30, 2005 19:30            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, I've got the thing out of the box and charging up now. It's big and heavy; the case is solid stainless steel, and the band looks like black leather, with an oversized buckle into which the miniature folding stylus slips. The interface, of course, is familiar; I just have to get used to the teeny screen size and the different buttons. The right side has "page up/down" buttons and a rocker switch which can be moved up or down as well as pressed in, while the left side has a "back" button and the port where the USB/charging cable plugs in.

Here's a picture of it sitting on my mouse pad:

-

Since my arms are large, it actually looks OK on my wrist; I'll have to take a picture of it there once it's charged up enough for me to wear it.

Interestingly enough, the power adapter in the actual box was a European one; I thought it looked like a British plug, Pamela thought it looked like a Turkish one. However, ShopAtHome included a second box in the shipment with a U.S. power adapter. The invoice said, "For your convenience, we have included two power supplies with this product. One power supply is for use in the United States and the 2nd power supply is for use in the European countries." I think that's just a fancy way of saying, "These watches were originally intended for sale in Europe and they didn't sell, so we're throwing in the right power adapter for the U.S. and calling it a feature."

I've gotten the Linux pilot-link tools to speak to the watch (via USB), so I can back it up, install applications, and do other things to it. I've also successfully beamed several bits of data from my old Palm VII to the watch.

cheryl
Mini Geek
Member # 4566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 01, 2005 01:10      Profile for cheryl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am guessing there is some kind of morale to this story, but i cant put my finger on what the hell it is...

maybe 'never trust the postal system?' or 'if your gonna get something for a cheaper price expect very low customer service and a long delivery time'?
[Beard of Peter Gabriel!]
Any ideas anyone?

--------------------

Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 01, 2005 09:50            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps. Or maybe something about "getting what you pay for."

I must commend ShopAtHomeTV's customer service agents...they were all very patient and helpful throughout the process, as I called several times basically asking "where's my watch?". And, in the end, they did come through with it...just maybe not in as timely a fashion as I might have wanted.

The watch is on my wrist now. It fits well, looks great, and has elicited a number of "ooh-aah!" comments from coworkers. I'll get a picture of it on my wrist later.

Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 01, 2005 20:33            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, here it is actually on my wrist...

-

As you can see, it looks pretty good, with my wrist the size it is. It also isn't as heavy as it looks; it felt quite comfortable.

It'll take me awhile to get everything set up the way I want it yet...

cheryl
Mini Geek
Member # 4566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 07, 2005 01:03      Profile for cheryl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it looks funky * stares in amazment at the shiny metal [Eek!] *

--------------------

Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 08, 2005 00:03            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stainless steel. Quite nice and heavy.

I've got pretty much all the info from my original Palm transferred over, and more. I can put whole books on the thing...thanks to www.memoware.com and Project Gutenberg, I now have several full-length books loaded, including The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, Brave New World, and Ayn Rand's Anthem. (The reader application works well; it can be set to a readable font, and scrolling through the book can be done with the rocker switch or the page-up/page-down buttons.)

And I've got some ideas for code I want to write for the thing, and maybe some patches to a couple of apps...so I reregistered at PalmSource, downloaded the latest SDK as well as Fossil's WristPDA supplementary SDK, and got my 68K toolchain working again. Fun fun fun! [Big Grin]

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture