homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Oh No You Didn't...Oh Yes I Did!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Oh No You Didn't...Oh Yes I Did!
Crewgeekette
Mini Geek
Member # 4506

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted October 25, 2005 21:33      Profile for Crewgeekette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I've got the HUGE journal of essays and what not that I'm to do for school...it's already a week late. now I'm a great writer, if I do say so myself, I get it, and history! ha! my best subject, two things I can do quite well. So what did I do an hour ago after I finished one very looong question and answer for the journal?...well I tried to save it...but it wouldn't take any of that from me...so my dumb laptop (I love it but it gets to me sometimes lol) went and deleted it!...How can I ever trust my laptop again after it's done such an awful thing to me? (I'm kidding here people [Wink] )

--------------------
SHOUT OUTS TOO: KD my sister, my friend...my alarm clock. lol

Posts: 71 | From: Under an apple tree in fall | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted October 25, 2005 21:49            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just stand up and yell at the top of your lungs, "FM!"

(That stands, of course, for "F*ckin' Microsoft!")

I'm assuming your laptop runs Windows...after all, you didn't refer to it as a PowerBook or iBook...

IP: Logged
Crewgeekette
Mini Geek
Member # 4506

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2005 21:53      Profile for Crewgeekette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup, FM would work. lol Yeah my lappy runs windows.

--------------------
SHOUT OUTS TOO: KD my sister, my friend...my alarm clock. lol

Posts: 71 | From: Under an apple tree in fall | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2005 22:15      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haven't I seen you in a 'switcher' ad?
 -

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted October 26, 2005 00:15            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crewgeekette:
Yup, FM would work. lol Yeah my lappy runs windows.

You could always try Linux...I have an HP notebook that's currently running Fedora. Notebooks can be tricky things to run Linux on, but it's often possible.
IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted October 26, 2005 01:06      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
beep...beep...beep...beep...beep... [Big Grin]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2005 09:13      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bet it was a really good paper, too...
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
RScottV

SuperFan!
Member # 3540

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2005 10:56      Profile for RScottV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some programs save a working copy of a document on the hard drive even if you haven't formally saved your work. I have been able to recover documents on rare occasions by using disk/file recovery software.

You run the file recovery program and then look at files that have creation dates in the time frame that you were working in. The file will usually have some weird numerical name or sometimes contains the word "temporary."

Good luck!

Posts: 211 | From: Saint Paul, MN | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2005 11:27      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RScottV:
Some programs save a working copy of a document on the hard drive even if you haven't formally saved your work. I have been able to recover documents on rare occasions by using disk/file recovery software.

You run the file recovery program and then look at files that have creation dates in the time frame that you were working in. The file will usually have some weird numerical name or sometimes contains the word "temporary."

Good luck!

M$ word usually makes a hidden file, with the first character of the file name replaced by a tilde (~), or something like W[gibberish].tmp. If you can find any of these files (make sure you turn on 'Show Hidden Files' [My Computer -> Tools -> Folder Options... -> View]), try renaming them with a normal .doc name, and opening them in Word. If that doesn't work, try going into Word's File -> Open... dialog, and setting the file type to "Recover Text From Any File(*.*)" mode, and selecting the file in question. You'll get a bunch of extra junk, but if anything's there, it should find it.

No...I didn't just recover a broken file for someone, why do you ask? [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Crewgeekette
Mini Geek
Member # 4506

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2005 12:56      Profile for Crewgeekette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:
Originally posted by RScottV:

Good luck!

M$ word usually makes a hidden file, with the first character of the file name replaced by a tilde (~), or something like W[gibberish].tmp. If you can find any of these files (make sure you turn on 'Show Hidden Files' [My Computer -> Tools -> Folder Options... -> View]), try renaming them with a normal .doc name, and opening them in Word. If that doesn't work, try going into Word's File -> Open... dialog, and setting the file type to "Recover Text From Any File(*.*)" mode, and selecting the file in question. You'll get a bunch of extra junk, but if anything's there, it should find it.

No...I didn't just recover a broken file for someone, why do you ask? [Wink]

you sure you didn't? [Wink] lol

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture