homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » The never-average-life of a crew chickie (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The never-average-life of a crew chickie
Crewgeekette
Mini Geek
Member # 4506

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted October 24, 2005 21:16      Profile for Crewgeekette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So today we raced our old time. Bridge to bridge which is 500 meters, and we did it in 24 minutes and 10 seconds. A minute longer then our usual time but considering it was raining then started to snow lightly then went back to raining plus really cold strong winds and very jumpy water...I say we did a-ok. lol
Crew gotta love it, it never is the same.

--------------------
SHOUT OUTS TOO: KD my sister, my friend...my alarm clock. lol

Posts: 71 | From: Under an apple tree in fall | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2005 08:49      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
5,000 meters? I used to be able to swim 1,500m in open water in 27 minutes. Without a wetsuit, so I didn't try it in the snow, heh.

Or are you towing waterskiers like in that episode of Mythbusters? [Big Grin]

Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2005 09:51      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to like rowing. But once they put me in a team and made me row across Cardiff Bay in horrible weather. After that, I soon gave up.

I like rowing, but the pressure gets to me. I really respect the people who can put themselves through all sorts of pain, and then talk happily about it moments afterwards.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Crewgeekette
Mini Geek
Member # 4506

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2005 11:15      Profile for Crewgeekette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by supaboy:
5,000 meters? I used to be able to swim 1,500m in open water in 27 minutes. Without a wetsuit, so I didn't try it in the snow, heh.

Or are you towing waterskiers like in that episode of Mythbusters? [Big Grin]

Lol no waterskiers, but that would be cool. Mythbusters happens to be one of my fave shows too, Jamie is my Adam are so funny! [Big Grin] lol

--------------------

Posts: 71 | From: Under an apple tree in fall | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Crewgeekette
Mini Geek
Member # 4506

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2005 11:18      Profile for Crewgeekette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by maximile:
I used to like rowing. But once they put me in a team and made me row across Cardiff Bay in horrible weather. After that, I soon gave up.

I like rowing, but the pressure gets to me. I really respect the people who can put themselves through all sorts of pain, and then talk happily about it moments afterwards.

Pain it is...but when you hear that you beat your rival team...it's the best feeling in the world. In fact we've got a regatta this weekend, and our rival team will be there. They've entered THREE boats in one race just to try and beat us the notties lol!. But we are working so hard, I mean we are going to metel just so we can beat them! lol

--------------------

sumnchai
Geek Apprentice
Member # 3262

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2005 13:48      Profile for sumnchai     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Finally! Another crew geek!

I just got back from the Head of the Charles, watching my alma mater and another college where I used to coach. Where are you from? Where do you row? What seat?

--------------------
[img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style3,Anal-spc-Orgies.png[/img]

My Photos

Posts: 47 | From: Amherst, MA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
The White Tree
Geek
Member # 4040

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2005 18:32      Profile for The White Tree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sailing is way cooler, but anyone who loves the water (especially when it involves boats) is cool by any standard.
Posts: 201 | From: York, PA, residing/school at NNPTC at NWS Charleston, SC. | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Crewgeekette
Mini Geek
Member # 4506

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2005 19:06      Profile for Crewgeekette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sumnchai:
Finally! Another crew geek!

I just got back from the Head of the Charles, watching my alma mater and another college where I used to coach. Where are you from? Where do you row? What seat?

Awsome, thats so cool! [Big Grin]

I row 5 seat and love it, and when I'm not in 5 seat I'm in 7th seat. But I can row both port and starbord. I'm from what people call the mid-west, but I call it eastern U.S. Lol actually Ohio, and we row on a reservoir, thats actually really nice. I love it, this is my first season and it's coming an end, but I'm rowing again in the spring. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Crewgeekette
Mini Geek
Member # 4506

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2005 19:46      Profile for Crewgeekette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So today we raced against our old time again, we were going to race against the Boys Novice B...but they were to slow getting up there to the second bridge. (hehehe [Roll Eyes] )So Ashley the girl who almost always sits in a pair with me because even though she's a lot bigger then myself and the other girls...only I can match her power. Which is actually a good thing for me. Not for her...but anyways she had to sit out her knee is giving her a LOT of trouble the past few days and we need her to rest up for the regatta. So we did bad today, hand levels...oy vey! is all I can say. But we catch together wonderfully so much that people that note of it.lol but the water was choppy and cold...man I LOVE crew! haha, after all that too.

--------------------

Erbo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2005 00:28      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know of at least one famous woman who was in crew when she was in college...Emme Aronson, plus-size model and inspiration to a lot of people, including my wife. She's written two books, hosted the show Fashion Emergency on E! and the Style Network, and is the only full-figured woman to have a doll sculpted in her likeness.

No associations implied here, Crewgeekette...just saying that there's always the chance it can lead to really great things!

--------------------
See more From The Erbo Files: www.erbosoft.com/blog/

Posts: 1480 | From: Denver, CO, US | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Crewgeekette
Mini Geek
Member # 4506

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2005 09:55      Profile for Crewgeekette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2005 11:25      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IMNSHO Emme is not in bad shape. Perhaps she is not rail thin, but I would prefer a Marilyn Monroe over a Twiggy any day.

edit: actually I would much rather have late 20's early 30's Bettie Page type femme but I figure everyone got the gist of my post

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2005 16:54      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you've ever read Emme's book "Sexy at Any Size," you'll see that she's definitely a very fit woman. She runs and works out on a daily basis, but she's accepted that her genetic body type is more of an endomorph than anything else. The reason she won all sorts of honors in crew when she was a university student is 'cause she worked her butt off for it. There's a huge misconception that 'cause you're thin, you're fit.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2005 18:03      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
If you've ever read Emme's book "Sexy at Any Size," you'll see that she's definitely a very fit woman. She runs and works out on a daily basis, but she's accepted that her genetic body type is more of an endomorph than anything else. The reason she won all sorts of honors in crew when she was a university student is 'cause she worked her butt off for it. There's a huge misconception that 'cause you're thin, you're fit.

Or conversely that if you aren't thin, you're unfit.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2005 18:06      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Umm... shouldn't that be "not fit"? "Unfit" in my mind is always partnered with "parents" and the like.

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2005 18:11      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
Umm... shouldn't that be "not fit"? "Unfit" in my mind is always partnered with "parents" and the like.

Hmm, by default "unfit" here pertains to physical fitness.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Crewgeekette
Mini Geek
Member # 4506

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2005 18:35      Profile for Crewgeekette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

--------------------

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2005 19:45      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to Google:
quote:
below the required standards for a purpose; "an unfit parent"; "unfit for human consumption"
not in good physical or mental condition; out of condition; "fat and very unfit"; "certified as unfit for army service"; "drunk and unfit for service"
disqualify: make unfit or unsuitable; "Your income disqualifies you"
bad: physically unsound or diseased; "has a bad back"; "a bad heart"; "bad teeth"; "an unsound limb"; "unsound teeth"

I'm familiar with the first def.; you're using the second, csk.

And Crewgeekette: Do we know for sure how much Emme weighed during her college years? Do we know how much she weighs now? From what I remember, her largest wasn't even a 24. When I first learned about her, she was a size 16/18; which, with her musculature, implies a fairly large frame. And too, I wonder if she's so much "fat" as she is toned on a large frame. Being big and being fat aren't the same thing by any stretch of the imagination.

--------------------

Crewgeekette
Mini Geek
Member # 4506

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2005 20:55      Profile for Crewgeekette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any fit women is not her size. Women are not big by nature they are smaller. [Razz]

--------------------

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2005 22:13      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do you define big? I bet she could outrun and outwork any woman half her size who doesn't work out or eat properly.

quote:
Most Americans - no matter what their size - do not exercise regularly. The more important finding is a landmark study showing that larger men who exercised regularly were healthier and fitter than lean men who didn't exercise. The study was led by Dr. Steven Blair at the Cooper Institute for Aerobics Research in Dallas, Texas.
In addition, frame sizes come in more than just thin-boned petite. Look at the women who play in the WNBA and who play professional softball. They're big, but none of them are unfit because they regularly exercise and eat a good diet.

Also, check out Junonia. It's a site dedicated to plus-size women who are actively pursuing fitness. Anne sells a lot of work-out gear and outside activity gear that bigger women can't find elsewhere. Apparently there's this mentality that big women don't enjoy physical activity and don't care about their health and well-being. [Razz]

--------------------

fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted October 27, 2005 08:37      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crewgeekette:
Any fit women is not her size. Women are not big by nature they are smaller. [Razz]

Smaller than what, exactly? I hate to break it to you, but genetics and ethnicity also play a large part in the size of a person, as does where they grew up. People are going to be larger or smaller than other people of the same gender and age due to these factors.

So what is small enough to be fit? Not 200 lbs? ok, 190? 150? 100? It's good to know that the pro-ana movement is on it's way to overall health and fitness. Didn't anyone ever tell you muscle mass weighs more than fat and that just measuring weight is not a good overall determination of fitness? I think the best arbiter of who is fit and who isn't would be the doctors of the people in question. Once you can pony up that medical degree your pronouncements on who is fit and who isn't will carry some weight.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 27, 2005 08:39      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I told you my weight you'd think I was a friggen beached whale. If you saw me in person, you'd guess I was about 30-40lbs lighter than I am. I have a large amount of muscle mass. My BMI says I'm dead.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted October 27, 2005 08:55      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
If I told you my weight you'd think I was a friggen beached whale. If you saw me in person, you'd guess I was about 30-40lbs lighter than I am. I have a large amount of muscle mass. My BMI says I'm dead.

......or it could just be the rocks in your head *rimshot*

/veal, week, waitress

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 27, 2005 10:22      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:

......or it could just be the rocks in your head *rimshot*

/veal, week, waitress

It would certainly explain all that knocking going on at night...

oh.. nevermind.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 27, 2005 10:47      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am with the newfie here.

I weigh in at over 212 lbs. And on a bad week I can top 217. But from my build no one thinks I weigh in at over 180. Unless they are just being nice.

But at the same time I am not in my top physical condition. When I did work out regularly and when I still did a lot of manual labor, I have weighed in at up to 220.

So size is not always a factor in whether or not you are overweight. Build has a huge impact on whether or not you could be considered fat.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture