homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Something nice happened today...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Something nice happened today...
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 10 posted October 23, 2005 13:59      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let me set the scene....

Some eight years ago, or thereabouts, myself and the present Mrs Grummash set a date for our wedding. My little brother gave us his Hi-fi as a wedding present, as he was about to upgrade to a ridiculously expensive, and possibly quite unecessary, new system. The Hi-fi he gave us was about five years old at the time, but well looked after, and consisted of an Arcam alpha 5 CD player, an Audiolab 8000A amp and hand built Sugden speakers.
Very nice, and very much appreciated.
Anyways.. to the point... a few months ago the CD player went a bit flaky, then it stopped detecting the presence of CDs completely. By this time it was probably about 13 years old, and uneconomical to have repaired professionally, so we played our CDs through our bargain-basement DVD player. Not as good by any means, but it worked. I always intended to take the case off the CD player and give it a bit of a compressed-air cleaning, in a last-ditch attempt to fix it before throwing it out.
Then, earlier today and on a whim, I put a CD in and it played first time... and the next CD played... and the next one [Smile]
Now, this is not earth-shattering stuff, and tomorrow it may go back to refusing to play at all, but it brought a little joy to my Sunday afternoon and I thought I would share it with you all. [Big Grin]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2005 16:38      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They don't make em like they used to Grummy...
[Big Grin]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Thorned0Fortress
Geek
Member # 4435

Icon 6 posted October 24, 2005 17:04      Profile for Thorned0Fortress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh what nice thing. I'm glad that your day was better than my recent ones. Hope your CD player stays alive for a bit longer !
Posts: 235 | From: texas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture