homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Hello and test.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hello and test.
metagnat
Newbie Larva
Member # 4500

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2005 07:07      Profile for metagnat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey all,

I'm new and I wanted to see what posting looks like.

--------------------
-Ericka
"We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life,when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about."
-Charles Kingsley

Posts: 9 | From: Somerville, MA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2005 08:57      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A bit like this.

Welcome, metagnat. I like your name.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2005 09:10      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to GC, metagnat.

Eat, drink, and be merry.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2005 11:54      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Howdy metagnat. Nice member number! How about you tell us something(s) about yourself by way of introduction. Welcome to the GC forums. Post and have fun.
[Wink]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
metagnat
Newbie Larva
Member # 4500

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2005 12:17      Profile for metagnat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lessee...my real home is in Somerville, MA, I am currently in Washington, DC for a semester of my grad school program in journalism.

I used to be a level 1 tech support phone monkey for many years, first for proprietary software to educators and then for general Windows/MS Office stuff to law firm employees. All that was in Baltimore, MD, my beloved hometown. My work there was not beloved, it was lame and irritating, which is how I wound up in grad school.

My current experiences are interesting - as part of the program I get a press pass for the hill and spend a good chunk of the week reporting on congress. The experience of doing this has let me delve deeply into my political junkydom, but is making me think that I don't want to report on politics forever.

I have done writing much more relevant to geekdom, especially some pieces I wrote for a web comics site called comixpedia.

I have two cats, who I miss terribly (they are still in Mass.). I have far too many computers. I once withdrew failing from a LISP programming class. I knit. I play table-top and live action rpgs as well as various video games. Halloween is my favorite holiday (costumes and candy!). Blue is my favorite color. I am really tall, for a woman, so I often find it difficult to find pants & shoes that fit.

Heeh.

How's that?

--------------------
-Ericka
"We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life,when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about."
-Charles Kingsley

metagnat
Newbie Larva
Member # 4500

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2005 12:20      Profile for metagnat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also...thanks to maximile for liking my name. [Smile]

--------------------
-Ericka
-Charles Kingsley

metagnat
Newbie Larva
Member # 4500

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2005 12:23      Profile for metagnat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also again: I got my motorcycle license over the summer, only 12 years after I started wanting a motorcycle license. I do not, however, have a motorcycle or any of the relevant safety gear yet because (see above re: grad student).

--------------------
-Ericka
-Charles Kingsley

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2005 12:24      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was great! Baltimore, eh? I seem to remember the shrimp at the City Lights restaurant as being especially garlicky.... Mmmmmmmmmmm!

Thanks for the nice intro. [thumbsup]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted October 20, 2005 12:29      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Metagnat

Welcome to the forums. [Smile]
Post often and have a good time.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2005 13:37      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice to meet you, Metagnat. Welcome.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2005 20:10      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello! Welcome! Meditate on Armor-All, post often, and spread good ol' fashioned seal cheer!

Hello! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2005 20:26      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's Armor All®

I've had to look it up enough at work 'cause it's always getting spelled Armorall, armoral, Armor-all.

/pedant

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2005 20:31      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:

/pedant

Why do some people seem to associate "/" with "end" as in "end threadjack" or somesuch?

If by chance it's supposed to look like an IRC command, it should go *before* the statement it's intended to modify, and if one truly wishes to use it as an ending, use a proper SGML closing tag.

</pedant> [Razz]

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2005 20:39      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The catch with the "proper SGML" idea is that it isn't proper unless there's an opening tag. Otherwise, it needs to be a self-closing tag.
i.e. <pedant />
Of course, that's an entity, not descriptive of the preceding text. [Wink]

I believe some of the usage around here comes from the abbreviation /coat - s.v. "I'll get me coat." That's in line with an ACTION command, and a valid successor fuction. [Big Grin]

:wq

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2005 20:57      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spiderman:
quote:

/pedant

Why do some people seem to associate "/" with "end" as in "end threadjack" or somesuch?

If by chance it's supposed to look like an IRC command, it should go *before* the statement it's intended to modify, and if one truly wishes to use it as an ending, use a proper SGML closing tag.

</pedant> [Razz]

You are allowed to use my name, Spiderman. [Wink]

I've always considered /pedant similar to the /me command. Both refer to myself. "/me" doesn't require further brackets or other characters, so why should "/pedant"?

--------------------

Jessycat

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1171

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted October 20, 2005 21:47      Profile for Jessycat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I've always considered /pedant similar to the /me command. Both refer to myself. "/me" doesn't require further brackets or other characters, so why should "/pedant"?

You said it yourself, Rhonwyyn.
/me is a command; /pedant is not.
Now if you typed /me is a pedant ...
you'd be correct. [Wink]

Posts: 491 | From: NYC | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2005 22:12      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oy! You can't win with this group! [crazy] [crazy]

--------------------

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted October 21, 2005 13:24      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me bows to superior knowledge [Razz]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2005 16:24      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:

So I take it that you too prefer vi[m]? [Razz]

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2005 21:15      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nerdwithnofriends:
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:

So I take it that you too prefer vi[m]? [Razz]
Yes, I do. I'm a rather big fan of vim. Recently, I have found one nice GUI editor for OS X - Smultron, which can integrate very well with Cyberduck (an SCP client). I always liked Kate, and Smultron reminds me a bunch of it.

^[,ZZ

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2005 21:26      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I enjoy vim, but I don't know how to use all the advanced features of it. I'm planning to buy like a vim handbook, because it would help speed up my code development process. Any suggestions?

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2005 21:49      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nerdwithnofriends:
I enjoy vim, but I don't know how to use all the advanced features of it. I'm planning to buy like a vim handbook, because it would help speed up my code development process. Any suggestions?

yes

[edit]Oops, the link above isn't to the document I thought it was, this is the doc I meant to link to.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture