homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » bow down...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: bow down...
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 15, 2005 19:15      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and then slap me with a dead fish.

I crashed a SGI Octane running IRIX this afternoon.
I was closing jot and bang, the screen went dark, and then I got a grey box on a blue background. In the box it said something like "General protection fault: connection reset by peer."

I admit I had and have no idea what to do. No command line came up or anything. So I rolled my chair over to another machine, logged into my account, pulled up my experiment and got back to work.

I am indeed the antichrist of computers. ph34r m3... [Razz]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 15, 2005 21:53      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be careful what you ask for, Xanth...
 -
 -

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2005 22:13      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hrmmmm... I don't know much about SGI and IRIX, but if I'm correct in thinking that IRIX is some kind of Unix, then perhaps your connection to the X11 server got reset or something.

However, I'm probably wrong, and am awaiting enlightemnent by one of the more experienced members of the board...

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 15, 2005 22:33      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But why wouldn't it let me log back in??

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 16, 2005 02:36      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like you've been h4xx0r3d! Pwned!
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2005 05:39      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try to ping the first box. If it doesn't ping, it is a Very Sick Computer, and will probably have to be rebooted -- but you shouldn't be the one to do that. Call the systems administrator.

If it can be pinged, then it might be the case that the GUI has crashed, but the underlying operating system is still up and running. In that case, the systems administrator may be able to restart the GUI, or (s)he may have to reboot the whole machine.

In either case, it's not your responsibility unless you made the mistake of letting someone give you the root password....

Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2005 08:10      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually pride myself on the ability to crash any system. Although, I have yet to crash my shiny new Mac mini. Oddly, I really don't have the desire to do so. But, give me any *Nix box, Windows box, or other system, and with enough time and very sloppy planning I will more than likely be able to crash it.

Anyway, if you can ping the frozen machine, then it may be recoverable. Unfortunately, I know nothing about SGI machines, or IRIX, so I can't help here. The one thing I can tell is that a hard reset is the last resort. The outcome can be fairly messy (I've messed up my Linux file system numerous times back in pre-resiserFS days). Good luck though, and hopefully the sys admin is a decent human being and won't be cruel.

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2005 08:40      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by greycat:
Try to ping the first box. If it doesn't ping, it is a Very Sick Computer, and will probably have to be rebooted -- but you shouldn't be the one to do that. Call the systems administrator.

If it can be pinged, then it might be the case that the GUI has crashed, but the underlying operating system is still up and running. In that case, the systems administrator may be able to restart the GUI, or (s)he may have to reboot the whole machine.

In either case, it's not your responsibility unless you made the mistake of letting someone give you the root password....

I just pinged the poor thing and got a response, so I'll go down and see if the x-ray lab dude has done anything to it...

I feel kinda bad about just leaving it like that over the weekend but, at the same time, not many people are trying to solve structures right now and I had/have no idea who to call when the computers blow up.

/me braces for a dressing down

Edit: it's the GUI. I can't find the x-ray lab dude. My boss is highly impressed and now no longer doubts my claim that I am a curse to computers.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

Groggle
Mini Geek
Member # 2360

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2005 19:51      Profile for Groggle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chances are X11 filled its diapers and took the display driver with it on failure. (I don't know what version of X11 runs on IRIX, but I've seen enough rude X11 crashes to believe the scenario) IRIX is a pretty marginal UNIX variant - SGI was never a big player in the market, and they simply don't have the dollars to invest in the OS. This means that it was probably good odds that you found some wierd little "ism" in their implementation.

"Connection Reset By Peer" is a socket error - basically an inter-process/machine pipe closed unexpectedly.

The fact that the machine was still responding to ICMP (Ping) requests suggests that the basic OS kernel was still marginally functional.

When things get that hosed on my networks, it becomes a time to reboot things - even if the crashed subsystem can be restarted, a cold start doesn't hurt anything.

(BTW - I routinely manage to find new a creative ways to crash my systems)

Posts: 77 | From: Calgary | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2005 20:18      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And if it's only X11 that went south, it might be worthwhile to hit Ctrl-Alt-Backspace - that'll restart X (at least it does on my Linux boxen).

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture