homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » What is Firefly/Serenity? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What is Firefly/Serenity?
Luke Skywalker
Assimilated
Member # 3096

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 06, 2005 03:14      Profile for Luke Skywalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, so seeing all the ads, and todays JOT, What the hell is it? I know crap about it. And I refuse to see something that I know nothing about. So enlighten me.

--------------------
Use the Force, Luke.

Posts: 406 | From: The Line Between Time and Space | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 06, 2005 03:37      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Luke Skywalker:
So enlighten me.

It's shiny.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 06, 2005 03:37      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quite simply it's the best Sci-Fi series, and now film, ever made. It's about a bunch of characters with somewhat dodgy intentions, living on the edge of civilisation in their transport ship, doing a bit of crime and getting caught up with pretty much every bit of trouble going.

and there are trailers for Serenity on quicktime.com [Smile]

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 06, 2005 06:13      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Ok, so seeing all the ads, and todays JOT, What the hell is it? I know crap about it. And I refuse to see something that I know nothing about. So enlighten me.

Just fucking Google it!

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted October 06, 2005 08:54      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Luke, if you liked Star Wars, (the original Star Wars), I'd bet a Wookie you'll love Firefly/Serenity. [thumbsup]

It's a story centered around a Han Solo-ish character, in a universe where if you don't shoot first you're dead, with a spectacular cast, great dialogue, and no cutesy aliens.

I highly recommend the DVD's of the TV series too. [Beard of Peter Gabriel!]

Editorial: Someone over at Univeral Pictures marketing has failed miserably if Luke Skywalker doesn't know about Firefly/Serenity yet. [shake head]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 06, 2005 09:21      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Except it's much better than Star Wars. [Big Grin]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 06, 2005 11:21      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe I'm biased, but comparing Firefly/Serenity to Star Wars isn't fair. It's apples and oranges. They're about completely different things. Firefly/Serenity is about survival and self-determination. Star Wars is an epic about redemption and Good vs. Evil.

However, if you want to compare the effectiveness with which they tell their stories, then comparisons might be appropriate.

Just my two credits. I'll go back to writing my book and knitting Jayne hats now. [Wink]

Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 06, 2005 11:48      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:

Just fucking Google it!
Hey Luke, you know what Google is, right?
Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 06, 2005 12:12      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grey_girl:
Maybe I'm biased, but comparing Firefly/Serenity to Star Wars isn't fair. It's apples and oranges. They're about completely different things. Firefly/Serenity is about survival and self-determination. Star Wars is an epic about redemption and Good vs. Evil.

However, if you want to compare the effectiveness with which they tell their stories, then comparisons might be appropriate.

Just my two credits. I'll go back to writing my book and knitting Jayne hats now. [Wink]

[Razz]

True enough - it's just that the prequels sucked! My only comparison is pretty much with the quality and overall enjoyment of Serenity vs. whatever "Episode III" is called (that's how worthless it was to me).

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 06, 2005 13:52      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Maybe I'm biased, but comparing Firefly/Serenity to Star Wars isn't fair. It's apples and oranges.

Quite right.
Whedon hired actors for the lead roles.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 06, 2005 14:01      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Favorite line from Serenity: "I ain't had nothin' twixt my nethers ain't had batteries." [Big Grin]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 06, 2005 17:32      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I haven't seen this film yet because it only comes out in the UK next week so this is written with all the confidence of the completely ignorant, but a review I heard on the radio this evening compared Star Wars with Serenity also as political allegories. It said they both were also about how a society with absolute power becomes corrupted, with perhaps some resonance with today's world (not that I want to start another political flame fest!)

So perhaps there are more areas where you can play the compare and contrast game.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 06, 2005 20:36      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The reason I prefer it to Star Wars is that quite simply it's Sci-Fi not Space Opera. In Serenity, it's all within the realms of scientific possibility (just about), no warp drives, hyperspace or any of that "make the universe fit the story" stuff. There's not even any aliens and even the major Chinese influence on the language is an interesting extrapolation of the current space race (I'll give you odds on the Chinese setting up a viable moonbase before the Americans).

Star Wars is classic space opera. No science or extrapolation from current ideas about science, just lots of spaceships that can go from A to B, find out B has been blown up by another giant spacecraft and go to C where they hide until they get spotted. The original Star Wars was a classic in its own right, but it was B-Movie stuff done with a decent budget and special effects.

Don't even get me started on Star Trek [Wink]

--------------------

MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 07, 2005 04:50      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
I'd bet a Wookie...

(HORRENDOUSLY OFF TOPIC)

I can never see the word "Wookie" anymore without thinking of the Bloodhound Gang..
quote:
Yes, I'm kinda' like Han Solo, always strokin' my own wookie...
You may now resume your regularly scheduled thread, already in progress.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 07, 2005 06:21      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
I'd bet a Wookie...

(HORRENDOUSLY OFF TOPIC)

I can never see the word "Wookie" anymore without thinking of the Bloodhound Gang..
quote:
Yes, I'm kinda' like Han Solo, always strokin' my own wookie...
You may now resume your regularly scheduled thread, already in progress.

I'm the root of all that's evil yea, but you can call me cookie.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
RScottV

SuperFan!
Member # 3540

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 07, 2005 07:55      Profile for RScottV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Just fucking Google it!

You know dm, sometimes one likes to get the impression of people that are familiar to oneself, rather than a random internet opinion.
Hence the popularity of internet forums.

Google is great but itís not the solution to everything.

Posts: 211 | From: Saint Paul, MN | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 07, 2005 08:22      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RScottV:
quote:
Just fucking Google it!

You know dm, sometimes one likes to get the impression of people that are familiar to oneself, rather than a random internet opinion.
Hence the popularity of internet forums.

Google is great but itís not the solution to everything.

I have no patience for ignorance. His post basically says "I don't know anything, and am unwilling to make any effort - spoonfeed me."

--------------------

Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 07, 2005 09:26      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
Maybe I'm biased, but comparing Firefly/Serenity to Star Wars isn't fair. It's apples and oranges.

Quite right.
Whedon hired actors for the lead roles.

Oh, Lucas hired actors. That wasn't what the problem was. As I wrote earlier, effectiveness of storytelling makes a big difference.

Can't say any more. My head will explode. Pesky implant...

Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
David Rogers
Mini Geek
Member # 1373

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 07, 2005 09:50      Profile for David Rogers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite quote was:

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar."

Posts: 66 | From: Champaign IL USA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted October 07, 2005 10:01      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I swallowed a bug."

[Big Grin]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 07, 2005 10:58      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
(HORRENDOUSLY OFF TOPIC)

"My name is Jimmy Pop and I'm a dumb white guy"

Dang it, now it's stuck in my head again [crazy]

Edit: Ahem. Pardon the continued interruption.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 07, 2005 11:07      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always think of Ralph Wiggum from The Simpsons:

"I bent my Wookie."

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Danapoppa
Geek
Member # 1555

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 07, 2005 14:51      Profile for Danapoppa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zwilnik:
The reason I prefer it to Star Wars is that quite simply it's Sci-Fi not Space Opera. In Serenity, it's all within the realms of scientific possibility (just about), no warp drives, hyperspace or any of that "make the universe fit the story" stuff.

So how do they travel from one solar system to another? Or do they? [Confused]
Posts: 237 | From: South of Mt. Fuji | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
ChildeRoland
Alpha Geek
Member # 3880

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 07, 2005 15:30      Profile for ChildeRoland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sxeptomaniac:
I always think of Ralph Wiggum from The Simpsons:

"I bent my Wookie."

Hahaha.

Dana, they don't.

--------------------
=====================
Childe Roland

Zwilnik

Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 07, 2005 18:08      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Danapoppa:
quote:
Originally posted by Zwilnik:
The reason I prefer it to Star Wars is that quite simply it's Sci-Fi not Space Opera. In Serenity, it's all within the realms of scientific possibility (just about), no warp drives, hyperspace or any of that "make the universe fit the story" stuff.

So how do they travel from one solar system to another? Or do they? [Confused]
They don't, they're all in one big solar system. (there's another thread around here somewhere with a stream of the first 9 minutes which explains where they are). It's a pretty cool story concept in that it allows both short and long travel times (so you can have "in-transit" storylines and you're still within the realms of reasonable science (ie a whacking great ion drive)

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture