homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Spreadin the Geek Gospel

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Spreadin the Geek Gospel
zboy
Mini Geek
Member # 2969

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 02, 2005 21:22      Profile for zboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might not know this but I am a youth pastor, and today I got to preach in "Big Church."

During my sermon, I publicly professed my geekness. I admitted to everyone I am a geek. I boldly wore my black pants with white socks (no relation to Geek Squad intended). I was hoping more geeks would come out.

Posts: 72 | From: A galaxy far, far, away ... | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
The White Tree
Geek
Member # 4040

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted October 02, 2005 21:26      Profile for The White Tree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Been there, done that.
Posts: 201 | From: York, PA, residing/school at NNPTC at NWS Charleston, SC. | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Matias
Highlie
Member # 4216

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 03, 2005 17:32      Profile for Matias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lmao....did any come out??

--------------------
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Posts: 516 | From: The Land of the mouse.... | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 03, 2005 17:38      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never had to worry about 'coming out', strangers in the street can tell from 20 metres away.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10670 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
The White Tree
Geek
Member # 4040

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 03, 2005 17:52      Profile for The White Tree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That would be most of us, at least if anyone is anything like myself.
Posts: 201 | From: York, PA, residing/school at NNPTC at NWS Charleston, SC. | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 03, 2005 17:56      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zboy:
(no relation to Geek Squad intended).

Those bastards make me sick, you go in there, and the signs say things like: "We don't have dates so we are open 24/7" Made me never shop at Best Buy while at it...

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 03, 2005 18:52      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First, I kinda like the idea of a "Geek Squad" I'm just concerned about who they let on the "Geek Squad" and their attempts to over generalize geeks isn't an attempt to be mean...

Second, what faith were you preaching? Pastafarianism? ... *bites tounge so as not to start another religous fight*

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2005 06:25      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GameMaster:
First, I kinda like the idea of a "Geek Squad" I'm just concerned about who they let on the "Geek Squad" and their attempts to over generalize geeks isn't an attempt to be mean...

Second, what faith were you preaching? Pastafarianism? ... *bites tounge so as not to start another religous fight*

I'm more annoyed at the fact that most of their geeks are losers holding A+ certification, and truly have no fscking clue.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
zboy
Mini Geek
Member # 2969

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2005 08:18      Profile for zboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a Christian, to answer your question.

It was quite fun. I also substitute teach and I was talking about how when i sub many times when I go and begin a class I come right out and say I'm a geek. I then go on to say many people try to hide their geekness, only to do so unsuccessfully. Kids get a kick out of most of the time.

When I pretty much did the same thing on Sunday, the only thing that happened was that they knew I was a geek. It was cool, so I boldly put on my propellor hat.

Posts: 72 | From: A galaxy far, far, away ... | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2005 10:58      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Second, what faith were you preaching? Pastafarianism?

What are the tenets of that one? "Peace, love, and really good marinara sauce"?
Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2005 11:26      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You mean you haven't heard of the Pastafarian movement? [Eek!]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2005 13:56      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by greycat:
quote:
Second, what faith were you preaching? Pastafarianism?

What are the tenets of that one? "Peace, love, and really good marinara sauce"?
That well-known line from the bible was based on a mis-hearing when the elderly disciple was dictating to a scribe. The original line was...

... for I will make you fish sauce often ...

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10670 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
The White Tree
Geek
Member # 4040

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2005 14:20      Profile for The White Tree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yea, by the way, the Dover School District on that list is the crazy school district neighboring my old school district. Half of the people on that school board aren't real Christians anyway. My dad worked with the one guy for a whole bunch of years, and the guy was a major prick. They used to be friends until something happened. I think he fired my dad because he wanted someone who he could pay less. To make a long story short, they just want the damn attention and possibly make a name for theirselves.
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted October 05, 2005 16:59      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
You mean you haven't heard of the Pastafarian movement? [Eek!]

Well, what can I say... I have now. [Wink]
Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted October 05, 2005 17:12      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Holy noodly appendages Batman...

Or you could check out the Invisible Pink Unicorn...

[Wink]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2005 17:37      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Peebs. And may He touch you with the might of his noodly appendage.

Quoting zboy in bold
I'm a Christian, to answer your question.
Ah. I see.

It was quite fun. I also substitute teach and I was talking about how when i sub many times when I go and begin a class I come right out and say I'm a geek. I then go on to say many people try to hide their geekness, only to do so unsuccessfully. Kids get a kick out of most of the time.
You should also go on to talk about how 2% of the population are engineers and computer scientists that make the world work, and how the richest men in the world are geeks... There is a brilliant peice about MJ's profit margin vrs Gates' profit margin... Then, tell them to "do no evil."

Or at least, I think that is what naturally follows. This would stress the importance of education.

Quoting DNM in bold
I'm more annoyed at the fact that most of their geeks are losers holding A+ certification,
Holding a cert is evidence of one thing -- took and passed a test (and maybe took a class). I see nothing wrong with someone who has an A+ cert... Unless that's all they have (i.e. they don't actually use computers, or know anything about them).

and truly have no fscking clue.
A person I work with at the Uni (a tech at the uni), also has a job at Best Buy -- I should ask her if the Squad knows Squat.

In general, people in positions that require some know how or problem solving ability who don't actually have the needed skill/knowledge for the job bug me. I don't mind answering "silly" or "stupid" questions for a client who we have no reason to expect any technical skill from... But, there is a tech in the office (started when I did, just before the start of the fall semester) who is driving everyone crazy. I've answered the same set of questions a few different times, and each time he says "ok, now I get it," and then asks again in 5 minutes. Or, he sees someone do something to fix one problem, and thinks that it's the solution to every problem. When he goes out on a simple ticket he stays out there forever trying to get the job done -- he runs out of time, and the next day someone else has to do the job that he didn't finish the day before... It wouldn't bother me so much that he didn't know his stuff right away, if he actually learned something when you showed and explained something to him. I don't understand how to express the ideas to him in a way that I (1) won't offend (which, at this point, I am willing to do) and (more importnatly, 2) he'll retain it.

The other Techs in the office are quite mean to him behind his back. I have been, too, but it's just TOO EASY -- but I feel bad after... I wish I knew how to give him the basic knowledge he'll need.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture