homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Would swearing be appropriate now?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Would swearing be appropriate now?
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted September 25, 2005 11:33      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So this weekend I decided to move my office into the living room. You see, my office is a small bedroom, and my compute rdesk ios about 7 feet long, has 2 UPSes, 4 PCs and an iMac (plus a 21" monitor, VOIP gateway, cable modem, wireless hub, etc) on it.. meaning add the queensize bed in the room, and the office was far too cramped.

So I rearranged the living room, put the computers in it.. (the living room is probably 20-25' by 15' or so, so tonnes of room in there.

SO I get everything swapped and moved. I turnmy NFS server back on, and one of the drives makes a terrible whining noise. OK, so a 20GB drive has gone dead. Not a huge deal, especially since I had it in a RAID1 array, meaning no data is lost, I just should probably replace it.

I also decide that I should figure out why my Linux box has been freezing lately. I figured it was because I was using a specific version of Con Kolivas' patchset that caused things to not behave.

But then the computer doesn't even get past the memory count screen anymore. Great.

After much testing, part replacing, and various other nonsense in an effort to figure out wtf is wrong with it, I realise one of the two 500MHz CPUs in it is gone funky.

Needless to say, I replaced the two 500s with two 450s, since it's all I have available.

I should stop moving computers around. :S

On a brighter note, my living room looks awfully sexy now. Maybe I'll take some pics when I finally clean it up completely and post them. Everyone loves h0t p1x.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted September 25, 2005 11:43      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That would make me swear...and I mean REALLY swear [Mad]
Hope it all settles down and runs smooth now [Big Grin]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 25, 2005 12:43      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, that stuff makes me swear too...

One thing I have definitely learned about computers is they *really* don't like being moved - sometimes just one end of the desk to the other is enough to give one the hump!

Why that should be I don't know but it is definitely true in my experience...

Grrr....

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted September 25, 2005 18:56      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. I totally sympathize. The worst part is that one bad computer day often requires several days to fix. [Frown]

I'd not only be using language that made a trucker blush, I'd be in a generally bad mood for several days too.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 25, 2005 19:17      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dude, I can definitely sympathize with that - well installed hardware /really/ does not like being powered down or transported. I had a few old switches go on me after being powered down for about a day. I think the fact that they were running continuously for a few years just kept them in some kind of 'groove,' and once they were turned off the fans probably didn't want to start up again. :-/ One really weird case I've run into is a switch that started hiccuping big time, and the administration functions were completely unreachable (via serial, telnet, or web), but it was operational. I had to blackbox/rev. eng. what each port was set to...not a fun task... (I really like how my newer equipment lets me backup the config to a server...but old 3Com kit doesn't afford one that luxury.)

Oh, and on a more personal note, my laptop has been having 'issues' lately (I woke up yesterday to dead silence) - I fear it may be dying. :-/ I suppose I really ought to be in the market to buy a new one, but I dislike shopping, and I'm still pretty tossed b/t a Thinkpad or an iBook, though I'm leaning in the direction of the former.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted September 26, 2005 06:19      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dragonman, see if you can get a Hitachi Prius from Japan. [Smile]

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doco

SuperFan!
Member # 371

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 26, 2005 07:12      Profile for Doco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah - I've also had stuff die from just moving it around the house.

On the other hand - way back in HS we had some Apple II/e's that seemed to require being moved around about twice a year. They would just stop booting, but after being hauled to the service center only to find nothing wrong. Found out after a while that just bouncing them around a little usually solved the problem. Opening the cover and reseating cards also seemed to fix that problem. Besides in the school they were probably due to be blown out every month or so because of the dust buildup.

Posts: 419 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted September 26, 2005 14:21      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Words of wisdom that are burned into my memory.... "Never make any system changes just before you want to go to bed". Am I right in thinking it is not just me who has sat up all night trying to regain that magical "last known good' state?

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 26, 2005 14:27      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had a score of days doing that...

Great Grummash, now I'm gonna have nightmares...

"No! not that file! the other one!!!'

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
csm

SuperFan!
Member # 1281

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted September 26, 2005 16:23      Profile for csm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ouch! Sorry to hear that. But, at least you have a bigger office, no? [Smile]

--------------------
Objects in signature are funnier than they appear.

Posts: 34 | From: A well connected outhouse in Michigan | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 26, 2005 16:26      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csm:
Ouch! Sorry to hear that. But, at least you have a bigger office, no? [Smile]

Not to mention a really cool spider just outside...

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 26, 2005 17:27      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See, this proves my point that all physical labor can be nothing but bad for us geeks. [shake head]

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture