homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » My new fishtank

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My new fishtank
shriver
Geek
Member # 3556

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted September 19, 2005 07:41      Profile for shriver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

It's been in the works (off and on) since spring break of last year... I finally got it completely finished yesterday.

Thank God it's done, too. It was starting to get to be a pain in the butt.

--------------------
And a thousand thousand slimy things
Lived on; and so did I.

Posts: 111 | From: Seattle | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 19, 2005 07:46      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm very curious to hear what the keyboard and mouse do... here fishy fishy... [Razz]

That's a pretty impressive feat of engineering. I think I gaped and swooned when I saw it. [Eek!]

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 19, 2005 10:06      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Eek!] A Macquarium!

I'd quite like to make one of those, but I don't like fish very much... they die all the time.

For instance: last week, a heron visited the ponds in my garden. About two thousand goldfish haven't been seen since.

Okay, it probably didn't eat all of them. But it visited every pond, and scared the ones it didn't eat to the bottom, where they've stayed.

Anyway, that's an awesome piece of work! Well done [Smile]

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 19, 2005 10:16      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very cool. [Big Grin]

Probably a better idea than this (article). [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dead Cat
Geek Larva
Member # 4282

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 19, 2005 10:39      Profile for Dead Cat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
now that is cool.
I gotta get one of those. hows the inside constructed?

lets have some piccies with fish!

--------------------
Deadcat, king of his own socks

Posts: 20 | From: Birmingham / Cannock, UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 19, 2005 11:36      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dead Cat:
now that is cool.

http://www.jagshouse.com/macquarium.html

Now that's a text only joy...
[crazy]

Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dead Cat
Geek Larva
Member # 4282

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 19, 2005 12:04      Profile for Dead Cat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Allan:
http://www.jagshouse.com/macquarium.html

Now that's a text only joy...
[crazy]

wow. the neverending resource of the internet.

--------------------
Deadcat, king of his own socks

Posts: 20 | From: Birmingham / Cannock, UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
shriver
Geek
Member # 3556

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 19, 2005 17:18      Profile for shriver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The keyboard and mouse are for looks, the cdrom (note the anachronism) has been gutted as well, and holds the air pump and the power supply for the LEDs which light it. you can't really see the LEDs in this image, though.

quote:
Originally posted by Dead Cat:
now that is cool.

I'm kinda scared to take a pic with the fish in it... I've seen the flash kill a goldfish. I'll see what I can do, though.

--------------------
Lived on; and so did I.

Matias
Highlie
Member # 4216

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 19, 2005 17:46      Profile for Matias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is one of the coolest things I have seen in a while. [Big Grin]

--------------------
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Posts: 516 | From: The Land of the mouse.... | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
shriver
Geek
Member # 3556

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 24, 2005 12:58      Profile for shriver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New Fishy Pictures!

Sorry it took so long, the internet at my apartment complex went dead about the time I tried to plug this thing into it... Tech support said something about an 'unauthorized device' causing 'problems of an unknown nature'... hope they figure it out soon.

Also, I apologize for the poor quality of the photos... I am on a college student's budget, after all.

Enjoy.
 -

-
 -

I've got a betta, and two white cloud minnows in there right now. The Betta's name is Pixel, and the white clouds are Steve and Steve. There is also a live aquatic plant in the back, but I think it is dying. The tank is a pretty dark place for a plant. I tried to keep as much of the original case as possible intact, and so adding some aquarium lighting may be difficult. If the plant dies, I may just have to get some artificial ones.

--------------------
Lived on; and so did I.

Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 24, 2005 13:18      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a photo of my MacQuarium that my wife gave me a few years ago. I also have a keyboard and mouse to go along with it. I did not have the best luck with it as the water does not seem to circulate that well in such a small tank even with the underground filtration system. I tried a better pump but if it was set too strong the water would splash over the sides. I'd like to try fish again, but may just turn it into a terrarium. For now it will house my SpongeBob clock. I like the desktop screen capture for the background, I'm going to have to do that to mine!
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 24, 2005 14:27      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I reckon that is really nice, but it'd be even better if I could see more than 1/8th of it on screen at once Bibo [Frown]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 25, 2005 11:27      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't even keep fish alive inside of a real fish tank. Amazing that you can do it inside of a rigged computer. :S
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 28, 2005 07:40      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks really cool. It can be hard to get good circulation. I had some of those desk aquariums and it was a pain.
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture