homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » HARRY POTTER!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HARRY POTTER!!!
Spoongirl
Uber Geek
Member # 2143

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted July 17, 2005 11:35      Profile for Spoongirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Finished it this morning - I don't care how sad you say i am, I love the books and this one's better than the last one [Smile]

I guess I'm just here to gloat a little bit. [blush] Things that enable gloatage rarely happen to me, and reading is one of the things I can do [Razz]

--------------------
"And we will call it... This Land..."

Posts: 901 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted July 17, 2005 15:22      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did it make you cry?
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 17, 2005 17:14      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Almost. Which says a lot - I almost never get emotional over books or movies. There were some things I saw coming. And other things I didn't. I gotta hand it to Rowling - she writes character deaths more brutally than just about anyone else I've read so far.

I started reading around 9 last night and finished around 3 this morning. It's like crack on paper. Once you start you just can't stop.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 17, 2005 20:29      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xanthine: Not for nothing, but one of your comments there might spoil thing for some people.

/me stays blissfully unaware for now...

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 17, 2005 20:36      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, I really need to catch up. I still haven't read the previous HP, let alone the recently released one. I gave the previous one to my ex as a present, but then we split up and now I won't get to read that copy, so I'm going to have to splash out, or find another HP fan to borrow it from.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 17, 2005 21:25      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Xanthine: Not for nothing, but one of your comments there might spoil thing for some people.

I think everyone knows that Rowling is killing characters now dman. The question is who and I'm not saying.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tom- geeking around

Member # 2876

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 18, 2005 01:22      Profile for Tom- geeking around   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got the new HP also today from Borders..
Do we need to also have read the previous book?? because I haven't.. it started so painfully slow...
Or would I miss too many details?
thanks!!

Thomas

--------------------
Pizza and ginormous jugs is what I need!

Posts: 374 | From: Vienna | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted July 18, 2005 05:12      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I got it yesterday and It's pretty good so far. I'm a little better than half way through, but this one is definitely better than the previous one.

Normally, I would have stayed up through the night reading it, but I have to get up early for work now, so I couldn't afford to do that. Oh well, I guess it will last me longer this way [Smile]

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted July 18, 2005 05:28      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WHA WHA WHAT!?!?!? HE IS KILLING SOMEONE? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Mister Boo

Member # 1419

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted July 18, 2005 09:07      Profile for Mister Boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snaggy,
I don't know about Xanthine crying, but I was by the ending. I had to go back and re-read the last third to make sure I did not miss any details. I will re-read the whole book again once Mrs. boo finishes in a week or two.

-Boo

Posts: 314 | From: Naugatuck, CT | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 18, 2005 11:39      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:

I think everyone knows that Rowling is killing characters now dman. The question is who and I'm not saying.
Alright, fine - I was just saying that as I know a friend of mine had been avoiding many parts of the Internet for much of the last week to avoid anything that might remotely disturb his reading experience. I know that he's now finished it, but I'm sure not everyone has.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted July 18, 2005 12:26      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I brought my older daughter to Midnight Madness at Borders Saturday to pick it up. Then first thing in the morning Mrs. Club snagged it and held it hostage. The daughters and I like to read the HP books at bedtime, so luckily we were still finishing up Dragon Rider.

Anyhoo, Mrs. Club finished up last night, and I did see a tear sneaking down her cheek. That's unusual for her. It'll be quite a while before the kids and I make it that far, though, since we usually manage about a chapter a night. And we holler at each other if anyone tries to sneak ahead during the day [Wink] .

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 18, 2005 14:30      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A little too much deus ex machina for me. Or, if not strictly DEM, then definitely too much "easy way out".

But I did enjoy reading it.

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 18, 2005 16:18      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UPS delivered the book at a little past Noon on Saturday. I finished the book at 11 PM on the nose. Yes, I cried a bit. I then went out for a brief walk because I needed to clear my head.

Thomas - I agree. The last one started slowly, and I thought this one did as well. But when it started moving, boy does it move. I would recommend reading the last one as the events do build and you wouldn't know who some of the characters are since they were introduce in OotP.

Jace, you were kidding, right? You do know JK is a she?

Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted July 18, 2005 19:22            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't cry when I finished it, but I was more like, "Oh, holy SHIT!" I've got no idea how Rowling plans to top it in the 7th and final saga, but it's bound to be titanic.

The rumors are true. Someone dies. And the rumors I'd heard about who dies are...also true. And shocking.

This one's going to be kick-ass when it gets made into a movie.

IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 18, 2005 20:22      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ehh, Erbo, you said "when" they make it a movie. From what my brother's told me (he got his copy of the Half-Blood Prince as soon as he got home from backpacking near Philly), the actress who plays Hermione doesn't want to make anymore HP movies. There's one or two in the works, but then that's it for her. How they'll find an actress to replace her, I'm not sure and neither are they, so these next one/two may be the last. :/

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 18, 2005 23:59      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
Ehh, Erbo, you said "when" they make it a movie. From what my brother's told me (he got his copy of the Half-Blood Prince as soon as he got home from backpacking near Philly), the actress who plays Hermione doesn't want to make anymore HP movies. There's one or two in the works, but then that's it for her. How they'll find an actress to replace her, I'm not sure and neither are they, so these next one/two may be the last. :/

Well, given that they've replaced a character when the actor died between movies, I don't think the problem would be insurmountable, would it?

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
RScottV

SuperFan!
Member # 3540

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2005 04:06      Profile for RScottV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To Tom above:

The book could stand alone as Rowlings is good about reminding the reader about previous stuff. I still would recommend starting from number one.

*************POSSIBLE SPOILER **********************************************

I don't think that we have seen the last of the "dead" character. Rowlings gives a clue in choosing the Patronus of the person who dies. Not only that, the person who did the "killing" is actually in on the whole thing and is not what they appear to be. (Kind of like the ending of the movie "The Sting.") Was that vague enough for everyone?! Harry will be suprised by the whole thing and will need to eat some major crow.

Just a theory!

Posts: 211 | From: Saint Paul, MN | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted July 19, 2005 08:06      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you haven't read the book, quit reading this

seriously

stop it

right now

I don't want to ruin it for you

OKay, here comes a partial spoiler:

I think I know what the initials RAB stand for; this is the one thing that's really been bugging me (besides the fact that Harry needs to nut up and learn some serious dark magic, including the unforgivable curses).

I think they stand for Regulus A. Black, because let's think about it; the note says that he's probably going to die, and Regulus did like a couple days after he left the death eaters. So it just make sme wonder.

Other than that, I've already said the other thing that's been bugging me: Harry needs learn some serious ass-kicking skills. non-verbal incantations, powerful dark magic, etc.

Anyways, just my thoughts

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2005 08:35      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
Well, given that they've replaced a character when the actor died between movies, I don't think the problem would be insurmountable, would it?

Not insurmountable, but more difficult. The last actor they replaced was a fairly minor character (Dumbledore, right?). He can look and sound different without causing too much of a stir. Replacing Hermione would be a big issue because she is so major. With that much screen time people will pay attention and may be distracted by the differences.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2005 09:16      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Replacing Hermione would be a big issue because she is so major.

The answer is simple... kill off her character! [evil]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2005 09:28      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*** SPOILER ALERT ***
TURN BACK IF YOU DIDN'T READ THE BOOK
---------------------
I think that He's alive too -- I find it a little too odd that the victim sent someone to find the murderer (to bring aid) just before the murderer shows up. I also find it odd how the murderer didn't kill Harry and stopped others from killing Harry -- I know orders, but come on... Also, while that the victim knew people were trying to kill him, and also knew that the murderer had made a certian pledge... So, I think it conceivable that it was staged for the audiance... The only two things that make me wonder otherwise: The spell on Harry wore off as if the caster died and the murderer would have died if it was faked.

I would agree with the theory on who R.A.B. is, but it's too obvious -- J.K likes misdirection... Take for instance the thing in the beginging of the the book.

I was supprised they didn't do more with the Order Headquarters, or with Kreature (though I loved his gift to Harry).

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 22, 2005 10:25      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm - finished it yesterday. (Or early this morning, if you prefer - I got The Sims 2 the day after - and the same day I "ordered" my Smart Fortwo, btw [Big Grin] - so I had a few other things competing for my attention.) My eyes went wet, I shed a tear or two, but noting more. The next (and final) one has a lot of excitement coming.

Here comes the possible spoiler alert:

Apart from the initials thing, I have another itch. It is well known that the serie is supposed to cover Harry's seven school years. Any chances that things will turn out differently than announced at the end of the 6th so to fulfill that description?

Now, for the if He staged his death, that would be a nice turn of event, but I won't bet on that. The prophecy is quite clear (although there is a hint of a faint chance it might end not being fulfilled), and would be harder to fulfill if He's still around. I would be more thrilled if He planned His death, knowing that His role was pretty much over, while the murderer would have been killed otherwise, and the murderer has still a big role to play for the "happy ending" to happen. Yeah, I know, that's a bit (a lot?) twisted, but that would do for a big turn of event. And after all, there are still four "things" to find and destroy, and no one else but the murderer has both the possibility and ability to find them.

Oh well, one or two more years of wait to know the end of it all!

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 22, 2005 12:55      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:
Hmm - finished it yesterday. (Or early this morning, if you prefer - I got The Sims 2 the day after - and the same day I "ordered" my Smart Fortwo, btw [Big Grin] - so I had a few other things competing for my attention.) My eyes went wet, I shed a tear or two, but noting more. The next (and final) one has a lot of excitement coming.

Here comes the possible spoiler alert:

Apart from the initials thing, I have another itch. It is well known that the serie is supposed to cover Harry's seven school years. Any chances that things will turn out differently than announced at the end of the 6th so to fulfill that description?

Now, for the if He staged his death, that would be a nice turn of event, but I won't bet on that. The prophecy is quite clear (although there is a hint of a faint chance it might end not being fulfilled), and would be harder to fulfill if He's still around. I would be more thrilled if He planned His death, knowing that His role was pretty much over, while the murderer would have been killed otherwise, and the murderer has still a big role to play for the "happy ending" to happen. Yeah, I know, that's a bit (a lot?) twisted, but that would do for a big turn of event. And after all, there are still four "things" to find and destroy, and no one else but the murderer has both the possibility and ability to find them.

Oh well, one or two more years of wait to know the end of it all!

Hmmm... I've got to re-read that scene again, because that would make the begging in the scene take on a whole new meaning... Instead of begging for life, he'd be begging the murder to save himself. In which case Harry would still want revenge against the murder, and the murder will probably fall at the hands of You-Know-POO.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture