homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » political games

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: political games
dildo_bangings
Geek Larva
Member # 4090

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 16, 2005 00:30      Profile for dildo_bangings         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i attended a secret meeting this week. at a certain point i discovered that the most annoying person in the company knew everything we discussed in this meeting. this she-devil started complaining and manipulating until she got things to be the way she wanted them to be. i have the feeling that the group of manipulative annoying people that the she-devil belongs to are forming a block against me. i am reluctant to play this game because my friends are not interested in this kind of office politics. ofcourse i can just find another job , but in every job (except my first job as paperboy) i had to deal with political gameplaying. what am i to do?

--------------------
Your attitude is unacceptable please punish yourself.

Alien Investor
Highlie
Member # 242

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted July 17, 2005 16:00      Profile for Alien Investor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, you could go to that co-worker you mentioned who has been programming for 20 years and ask their advice. They've probably seen a lot of political action in 20 years experience.

And if you can't get help from them because they are pissed off at you because you laughed at their lack of unix skills until they got mad with you and decided not to talk with you ... perhaps you can learn something from that which will help you with the political side of your profession.

--------------------
"love without fear"

Posts: 627 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 18, 2005 19:24      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All jobs have politics. All relationships have politics. If you feel that you won't "play the game", then your only recourse is to be above it. To do that you must be
- extremely capable
- consistently honest
- polite

Don't underestimate politeness. Smart people who are assholes very rarely achieve their goals.

Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 18, 2005 19:44      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quantumfluff:
Don't underestimate politeness. Smart people who are assholes very rarely achieve their goals.

Umm, I'm not so sure about that last statement. Look at the number of CEOs of tech companies that are very non personable.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted July 19, 2005 01:08      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a repost from Topic: You're Fired... (in Rants) on June 30, 2005 00:13.

quote:
Is Your Boss a Psychopath?
(from "Fast Company" July 2005 issue)
quote:
Robert Hare is the creator of the Psychopathy Checklist. ... It's the standard tool for making clinical diagnoses of psychopaths -- the 1% of the general population that isn't burdened by conscience. Psychopaths have a profound lack of empathy. They use other people callously and remorselessly for their own ends.

... The recent corporate scandals could have been prevented if CEOs were screened for psychopathic behavior. "Why wouldn't we want to screen them?"

Coping With Psychopaths @ Work
http://www.fastcompany.com/subscr/96/open_boss-fasttake.html

quote:
Originally posted by csk:
Look at the number of CEOs of tech companies that are very non personable.

Actually, they're often quite charming, and persuasive, despite a complete lack of conscience.
quote:
i attended a secret meeting
... sounds like a good way to maintain an environment of back-stabbing, no sense having open dialogue, diplomacy, and all that mishmash. [Roll Eyes]

Then again I'm a bit of a cynic.

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2005 09:52      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i attended a secret meeting this week.
Why? Why did have to be secret? If the company is in such a state that meetings have to be kept "secret" from others inside the company -- and your attending them -- then your playing "the political game" and your probably going to lose.

at a certain point i discovered that the most annoying person in the company knew everything we discussed in this meeting.
"The only way to keep is a secret between two people is kill one of them."

this she-devil started complaining and manipulating until she got things to be the way she wanted them to be.
No, if everything was the way she wanted them to be, you'd be fired...

i have the feeling that the group of manipulative annoying people that the she-devil belongs to are forming a block against me.
A group of manupulative people, like the kind that have secret meetings behind your back?

i am reluctant to play this game because my friends are not interested in this kind of office politics. ofcourse i can just find another job , but in every job (except my first job as paperboy) i had to deal with political gameplaying. what am i to do?
Don't care about office politics. Your there to do job, do it and do it well. If you have to talk to other people to do the job, then be polite to them -- but remember your not there to be liked, your not there to attend secret meetings, your there to do a job.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2005 18:41      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GameMaster:
...your not there to attend secret meetings...

Unless you're a spy...

Is this a good opportunity to seek other work?

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted July 20, 2005 13:18      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a good oportunity to kick some ass. Punch a couple of people in the throat and the'll stop being so secret and political about things.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture