homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » how do you cheer people up?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: how do you cheer people up?
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted May 20, 2005 14:32      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey guys. long time no post.
I have this friend who's really cool (obviously necessary criteria for being my friend). She's normally very upbeat, happy, energetic, etc.
Lately, she's been getting bogged down. She's been working a lot, and plus school's coming to an end and homework is killing her. She's been really down in the dumps and tired all the time, and I can't think of anything to cheer her up with. I hate being around non-happy persons, which compells me to try my darndest to cheer them up. So some of her other [female] friends and I were trying to think of something to do to make her happy. Here's a list of things she likes:

cute things
shoulder rubs
music

any ideas?

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 20, 2005 14:45      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tell her if she need to unload that you are there to listen and be a friend.

Sometimes nothing is more annoying than someone that does that "let's cheer you up, Mr/Ms frowny face." When you feel like shit. But a sypathetic ear is almost always welcome.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 20, 2005 14:52      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shroom is probably right. You could also trying showing up naked...with beer. (Okay...replace beer with something legally appropriate for your age - some tasty food/drink?)

Depending on certain variables, you might get moderately different levels of laughter out of her. [Razz] Good laughter, of course. [Big Grin]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 20, 2005 15:09      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh. I've been where your friend is. It's called burn-out. She needs a break, but she won't get it until the end of the term. Burn her a CD of some music she likes. Write "This too shall pass" on the cover or on the disc itself. Just knowing someone cares enough to do something like that will cheer her up enormously.
Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted May 20, 2005 18:32      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Make up a little gift basket of cheap and fun things, like those little cereal boxes, trashy magazines, CDs, a stuffed animal, chocolate, and some flowers.
Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted May 20, 2005 22:21      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Smiths. "You Just Haven't Earned It Yet, Baby." On loop. [Razz]
Mel
Alpha Geek
Member # 3553

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 22, 2005 12:00      Profile for Mel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe you can help her to get rid of some of her work that's stressing her out, like help her with homework, pick up books for her, do her chores, etc. Then she could have some time to relax and unwind [Smile] You're such a good friend though to be so concerned!
Posts: 309 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 22, 2005 14:57      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In college these guys I knew had a female friend who seemed to be in the same situation as your friend. They also didn't like seeing her that way. Unfortunately, one of them had the not so bright idea of tickling her. I would NOT recommend that. One of the guys actually came home with bruises. I think they were well earned. Life lessons.

She needs a pleasant distraction. Something to take her mind off of all the everyday garbage. Is there some great scenery near where you live? Like an overlook or a great deep forest? Getting embedded in nature sometimes cures the industrial life blues.

I used to cheer a friend of mine up by hopping stuffed bunnies around her dorm room while saying in a squeaky voice "BUNNIES!!" She claims it cheered her up. I have a feeling my leaving was actually what cheered her up. Well, any way a friend can help, I guess.

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 22, 2005 18:24      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bunnies cheer anyone up. I'm always cheerful when wearing my Holy Grail Killer Bunny slippers.
Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
sosumi
Uber Geek
Member # 1106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 23, 2005 12:58      Profile for sosumi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quantumfluff:
I'm always cheerful when wearing my Holy Grail Killer Bunny slippers.

Ooooh! *quickly googles Killer Bunny slippers* *dusts off credit card* Well I've cheered up [Big Grin]
Posts: 845 | From: Boston | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 24, 2005 08:55      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. Those ARE awesome slippers... whoa...

I'm feeling better TOO!!

EVERYONE should read this thread!

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture