homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » 1,226,262

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 1,226,262
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2005 06:03      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's how many files I have on my hard disk.

I started a full virus scan going on my Windoze box, and went out to my daughters 5th birthday party. When it finally finished it gleefully reported that it had scanned 1,226,262 files, and found no viruses.

Call me paranoid if you will, but I find that number somewhat disturbing. I haven't the foggiest idea what the vast majority of those files are, there's 30-odd thousand of them in my c:\windoze directory alone. No-one, no matter how many MC?? courses they've done, can possibly know what that number of files actually do. Is it any wonder that windoze boxen are so fscking difficult to troubleshoot?

So, how many files do you have on your machines?
And how many do you know anything about?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alephcat
Alpha Geek
Member # 2617

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2005 08:54      Profile for Alephcat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know *everything* about the ones on my D: drive, but not alot about most of the ones on my C: partition.

--------------------
"You have the right to search in silence. If you give up the right to search in silence, anything you say can and will be modded down in a court of public opinion."

Posts: 300 | From: Chester | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 11 posted May 15, 2005 10:30      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
60,574 in c:\ 22.1gb (including temp files and recycle bin)

of that, 11,503 in \windows for 1.93gb

dude, you got a LOT of junk on your pc
time to clean up!

other drives:
files gb
7314 27.4
4983 73.1
1040 46.3
11,799 55.2
6762 69.5

but then it's all archive stuff

edit:
not including files inside archives
that'd easily quadruple my 92,000+ files, but still WAY below what you have

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2005 12:55      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
code:
[email protected]:~# find / -type f -print | wc -l

Gee, TFD, I have less than half the files you do, and I believe that counts my mounted Windows filesystems and everything...

Oh wait, I didn't mount my shared filesystems from the server. Lemme try that again.

UPDATE:
code:
[email protected]:~# find / -type f -print | wc -l

Still pretty weak compared to your total.

--------------------
See more From The Erbo Files: www.erbosoft.com/blog/

Posts: 1480 | From: Denver, CO, US | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2005 14:39      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, it's not as bad as I thought....

Turns out the virus checker checks files within zip files. I have a shared directory on my PC that holds zipped daily backups from the other computers in casa del Druid. When that directory gets over 4 gig I burn a DVD. I haven't done a count, but I suspect 3.6 G of those zip files accounts for a fair % of my 1.2 megafiles.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2005 17:15      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bash> find / -xdev -type f 2> /dev/null | wc -l

... not so bad.

I remember when I had just over 1,000 files on my system back when I was running MS-DOS and I thought that was a lot.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2005 18:30      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
229358 on my Linux partitions, which is quite a lot, I guess.

35264 on my Windows partitions.

Can you guess which OS I use the most? [Wink]

And neither of those count files within archives. That would take my Linux file count up even further.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2005 19:27      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TFD: Before I even hit your second post, I realized it must count compressed files - here's a bit of silliness for you - McAfee also scans CHM files (compressed help manuals - they're in a warped HTML format), and these contain files, sometimes more compressed archives. I've seen a CAB file containing CHM files, which possibly contain other compressed archive formats. I don't have any Windows computers at home, so I couldn't tell you how many files are on that. [Wink] I'm too lazy to check any of my *nix boxen, but I know that I have pretty decent number of files -- I have ~2000 photographs, even.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2005 00:18      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, OK. I was looking just for regular files; find(1) doesn't know from archive formats. And I used -type f to make it omit directories, device files, and other weirdness.

Interesting backup strategy you employ.

--------------------
See more From The Erbo Files: www.erbosoft.com/blog/

Posts: 1480 | From: Denver, CO, US | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture