homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » I turned 25...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I turned 25...
Orpheus
Highlie
Member # 2397

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2005 20:34      Profile for Orpheus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
today and worked on my research proposal to celebrate. Ahh the joys of graduate school eh? Ok so today wasn't all that interesting. Sunday however was one of those days where nothing is ordinary. Highlights include finding a pair of antlers and a digeridoo submerged in a puddle in a local national park. Also we drove through one of the worst thunderstorms I've ever been out in. We had extremely frequent lightning strikes and wind so strong you kept expecting a tornado to scoop you up any second. On the upside though once the storm had passed near sunset we were treated to the most gorgeous sunset rainbow I've ever seen. Westward the sky was golden with the sunset and in the east was the dark green-gray rainstorm. Opposite the sun however was a golden disc circumscribed by a bright and vibrant rainbow and just outside that was the second fainter and reversed rainbow. It sort of made the horrible drive worth it.

Also thought some people might get a kick out of this logic game I got in an email.
http://freeweb.siol.net/danej/riverIQGame.swf

Rules:
- Only 2 persons on the raft at a time
- The father can not stay with any of the daughters without their mother's presence.
- The mother can not stay with any of the sons without their father's presence.
- The thief (striped shirt) can not stay with any family member if the Policeman is not there.
- Only the Father, the Mother and the Policeman know how to operate the raft.

To start click on the big blue circle on the right.
To move the people click on them. To move the raft click on the pole on the opposite side of the river.

--------------------
my cats make me crazy

Posts: 554 | From: Galveston, TX | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2005 20:44      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy birthday, Orpheus! I'll be 25 in five months. And to think I used to think 25 was old... [Razz]

The game you described sounds like a team building exercise in which I've participated at countless leadership training events. Now if only I remembered how it works... [Wink]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
SilverBlade
Alpha Geek
Member # 3541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2005 21:43      Profile for SilverBlade   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy Birthday! I hope your cane I sent you arrived on time [Wink]

Wah this game is hard. The best I can do is to get the two girls onto the other side, and everybody else including the theif is on the original side. Any hints?

--------------------
http://www.silver-blade.net

Posts: 303 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Orpheus
Highlie
Member # 2397

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2005 22:52      Profile for Orpheus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beware! Here follow the ramblings of a frazzled old grad student:

ooh a candy cane? [Smile]

can you believe my mom didn't call me today?? Turns out she sent me an email on an old email account though so I can't pick on her about it too much hehe.

I know the game is possible because I completed it, but not wanting to give the whole thing away I'll just say it can come down to creative uses of the cop and prisoner.

I was going to comment on rhonwyyn's sig by saying "what if God IS the molecular dance? ... but only when you look" but my brain went off on a tangent and I can't remember where I was going with it.

anyway [Smile] thanks for all the happy birthday wishes!! I'm off to get a few hours sleep. Take care everyone!

--------------------
my cats make me crazy

maia
Alpha Geek
Member # 3778

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2005 22:57      Profile for maia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy Birthday, darling! [Smile]

-

Don't worry, you have "done with qualifiers day" coming up to celebrate.

Yeah, Sunday was freakin' crazy. Beautiful day at the park with friends, complete with strange discoveries. Later, it was raining so hard, I thought the car would wash right off of the road. We had to get the friends up to the airport 40 miles away, so we had to keep going even if only at 2mph. Then, we stopped at the grocery store on the way back to allow the storm to get ahead of us, and we basically watched this rainbow from beginning to end. Best one I have ever seen. We never seem to have a camera when we need it. The rainbow looked something like this:

-

except we could see the whole thing and ours ended on the highway rather than a golden meadow.

--------------------
Nothing is too petty to be thoroughly discussed.

Posts: 316 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2005 23:56      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy birthday Orpheus! I'm turning 25 next March. [Razz]

You know, that storm sounds like the sorta thing that would have had me in a complete and utter panic. I've never enjoyed thunderstorms. I'd finally gotten to the point where I could cope and then there was an incident in Bolivia involving lightening and a moutaintop last summer and now I'm about as afraid as I was when I was in grade school. :/

You guys haven't had your quals yet? You poor bastards. I did mine in January. They can't flunk me out now!

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2005 05:15      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love thunderstorms very very much. The louder, and the meaner, the better. I always have. I don't know why.

Oh, and happy birthday, geezer. [Wink]

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2005 05:45      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Orpheus, congrats on a quarter century of life.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2005 08:05      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know when I was your age ........... Oh wait that was 2 weeks ago I was your age.

Happy birthday.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted May 12, 2005 12:28      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy Birthday Orpheus!!!!

What a great age!

(lol maia, over Kitty cupcake photo)

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Orpheus
Highlie
Member # 2397

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2005 15:28      Profile for Orpheus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone! [Smile]

If we hadn't been driving I'd have loved the rainstorm, as it was we were all pretty awed at the lightning display. Though I did have a close encounter with a lightning strike once when backpacking out in the middle of nowhere. We'd just come around a peak onto a bare section of it when an arc of lightning slammed down into the neighboring peak not 2 kilometers away from us. After that we made quick time to the nearest forested area and parted company with our metal-frame packs for a little bit. Ahh good times hehe [Smile]

Maia got me a keychain green laser pointer from thinkgeek which unfortunately ceased to function after 5 minutes into playing "remote control kitty" It was really cool while it lasted (bright enough to get some easily visible diffraction patterns) and we'll probably just exchange it for a pen-sized one.

zboy
Mini Geek
Member # 2969

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2005 21:33      Profile for zboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll be turning 25 next month. I'm planning on having a 1/4 life crisis. I don't know what it will be like or what I will do, but I'm sure it will be fun.
Posts: 72 | From: A galaxy far, far, away ... | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2005 21:47      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ack, sorry Orpheus, should have noticed this thread before. Happy birthday!

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
californiarockr
Assimilated
Member # 1986

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2005 11:37      Profile for californiarockr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy birthday! Awesome game too, I love these

--------------------
lol

Posts: 361 | From: guess... :/ | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture