homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » How I got a FREE Sony PSP! (Not Spam)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How I got a FREE Sony PSP! (Not Spam)
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2005 06:58      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, this isn't an advertisement for some scam I'm participating in. [Razz]

The answer? Work for the company that currently employs me. [Smile]

Yesterday (Wednesday), there was a series of meetings the last of which involved all employees at the location. The meeting outlined our achievements over the last year, as well as a milestone number of customers and the fact that in 2 years, we have achieved double what a local competitor took 8 years to accomplish.

At the end of the meeting, the owner (who was presenting at the time) made various comments regarding "wouldn't have been possible without you guys" etc. Then he says, "And as a token of our appreciation, we have a toy for you..."

He walked out of the room for a moment and he came back with a bag. We figured it was something simple...flashdrive or somesuch, but, this bag contained Sony PSPs! Everyone who works here, now has a Sony PSP. [Big Grin]

Setting aside various crazy stuff that happens occasionally, I love my job. [Cool]

Edit: I edited the title of this thread a bit as I realize the spammish title may have caused people to refrain from viewing it.

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2005 07:16      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! That's impressive! Congrats!

The place I applied for and had my interview with last week offered a 5 digit Christmas bonus to the programmers involved in a project that made a fat wad of coin.

I realise the owner probably walked away with 7 figures, but the fact that he acknowledged his employees, and gave them something for their efforts (which is certainly nothing to laugh at) for their accomplishments is what matters.

In the end, it'll probably result in happier, harder working, more interested employees.

I know I'm interested in working there.

And I bet you enjoy going to work each day. Something that makes you work harder at your job, whether intentional or not.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
N9IWP
Geek
Member # 1229

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2005 13:03      Profile for N9IWP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! My previous employer had a couple of "53rd week" bonuses (everone got an additional weeks worth of pay) and a $100 bonus.

Current employer - $20 gift card from company, $50 Best Buy gift card from boss & boss' boss.
(for Christmas)

Brian

Posts: 181 | From: Southeast MN | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
toobe

Member # 3783

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2005 13:09      Profile for toobe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We got two pieces of fudge each.

I am so looking for a new job...

--------------------
Studies show reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it.

Posts: 175 | From: Victoria, BC | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2005 14:28      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got a rock.
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted May 05, 2005 14:48      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A steel company I worked at back when George Burns was still in short pants gave out frozen turkeys one Xmas.

A cow-orker promptly took his outside and threw it throught the back window of the owners V12 Jaguar. Oddly enough, he didn't get fired.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2005 15:30      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A place I worked at went from cash bonuses to giving out a Xmas ham. My orthodox jewish workmate was particularly unimpressed, although I did well out of it, two Xmas hams that year. [Wink]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
SilverBlade
Alpha Geek
Member # 3541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2005 17:49      Profile for SilverBlade   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spiderman:
Everyone who works here, now has a Sony PSP. [Big Grin]

And hence signalling the long productive streak to be replaced by lazy workers, slow production and low motivation for everything but their new PSPs.

The boss will be regretting that day for the rest of his life. [Big Grin]

--------------------
http://www.silver-blade.net

Posts: 303 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2005 18:26      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SilverBlade:
quote:
Originally posted by Spiderman:
Everyone who works here, now has a Sony PSP. [Big Grin]

And hence signalling the long productive streak to be replaced by lazy workers, slow production and low motivation for everything but their new PSPs.

The boss will be regretting that day for the rest of his life. [Big Grin]

Haha, we were joking about that. With the wireless capabilities of the PSP, we'll all be playing multiplayer games as soon as he walks out the door [Big Grin] . (kidding, of course [Wink] )

Actually, we have LAN parties once or twice a month, so I'm sure we'll be using these during those times to get it out of our systems [Cool] .

--------------------

zboy
Mini Geek
Member # 2969

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2005 23:25      Profile for zboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Work bonuses?
Posts: 72 | From: A galaxy far, far, away ... | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 06, 2005 05:03      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My current employer gave us $45 in gift certificates at M&M meat markets. Better than nothing, I suppose.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 08, 2005 07:09      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what games do you have for it Spidey?

i am currently hooked on Ridge Racer for mine.

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 08, 2005 09:13      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SpikeSpiegel:
what games do you have for it Spidey?

i am currently hooked on Ridge Racer for mine.

Currently, Ridge Racer is the only game I have. Good stuff [Smile] .

I've been experimenting with playing online using the software over at http://www.teamxlink.co.uk which allows games like RR which isn't built for online play, (but is for local lan) to be tunneled through the "Kai" application across the net. Once it's actually working, I've been impressed at how well this setup work. [Cool]

--------------------

neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2005 02:27      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My bonus was working 20 hours... yay for 2.5 times pay on holidays, then time and a half beyond that for the fact that all 20 were overtime... whatever pays rent...

--------------------
I'm curious... About what, you ask? EVERYTHING!

Posts: 2239 | From: Western WA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture