homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » What NOT to say at Immigration!!!! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What NOT to say at Immigration!!!!
snupy
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2005 14:30      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, 4 weeks ago, I went to the UK to visit Mr Snupy for 11 days. The plans are to apply for a Fiance Visa at the Chicago Consulate in August and move in September-October. I wasn't really worried about getting through immigration because I figured, worse case scenario, I would tell them about our plans in August and that this was just a visit to meet the family(which it was). Being well-informed about the legal and proper way to immigrate to the UK would surely not only impress them, but convince them to let me in as well, right?? [Roll Eyes]

Wrong!

After a red-eye flight with no sleep and going to the wrong terminal at Heathrow for my connecting flight to Manchester and having to take the shuttle back to the original terminal, going through security twice, and arriving at immigration 10 minutes before boarding, I was quite flustered. When asked who lived at the address I provided on my immigartion form, I replied:

"My fiance, but don't worry-I am not going to try and stay here or anything. I will be applying for a Fiance Visa in August. I know you guys worry about that when you hear "boyfriend" or 'fiance'"

(Yes ,I did realize immediately that that was about the dumbest thing I could've said, but I don't lie well, so I wanted to be truthful, and the blithering just came out!! I think I thought I was being funny-BAD idea!!)

To which the immigration man said, rather sarcastically, "No, I wouldn't make any presumptions like that" or something similar. Then began the grilling, which I thought I would share in case anyone finds themselves in a similar situation.(I personally think the guy was gonna hassle me no matter what I had said, whether it was "staying with friends" or whatever)

"What will you be doing while you're here?"
"How long will you be staying?"
"How did you meet?"
"You were here December 2003. When did you return to the US from that trip?"
"What do you do for work?"
"When are you expected back at work?"
"I need to see a return ticket"
"Tell me about this 'Fiance visa'"
( I tell him everything I know about Fiance Visas)
"So, he will be applying in Chicago in person with you?"
"What does he do for a living?"(he has his own business)
"What is the name of the business?"

When I had answered everything to his satisfaction, he mumbled something and stamped my passport. [Big Grin]

sheesh!

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2005 15:15      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ouch! That kind of third-degree is *not* what you want at the end of a journey like that; you did well to keep your cool...

Mind you, on the basis of this link, it doesn't sound like it's any easier for Brits looking to become permanent residents in the US:

http://oblomovka.com/entries/2002/12/19#1040323800

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2005 15:22      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a hassle! Now I'm never leaving the bunker for overseas! [Eek!]
When you do move: Beware the cat detector van. [Wink]

Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2005 15:27      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snupy, I won't bore you with the saga of getting a spouse visa for Mrs Druid (we'd been married 7 years), but suffice to say that you got off lightly, and I'd advise you not to wait until August to start your visa application rolling.

Anyway, look on the bright side, least they didn't deport you [Wink]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2005 15:31      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really??? You can only book the appointment so many weeks ahead, and then it's only good for 6 months, so I dare start any sooner! I have the application and am filling it out, though-damn, it's long!!!

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2005 17:46      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(very) abbreviated summary.

We were going to be on the road for more than 6 months, so we couldn't get Mrs Druids visa before we left oz. We asked at the embassy here, they gave us all the forms and told us what documents we'd need, and advised us we could apply at the UK embassy in New York. When we got to New York, we were told everything we'd been told was wrong, we'd need a stack of extra documents (which weren't mentioned anywhere on the forms).

The documents we needed were in storage in the Druid-in-laws shed, so we phoned home, got them to dig out the stuff we needed, and send them to Mrs Druids sister in Canada, so we could apply at the Montreal office.

Time passes, we arrive in Montreal, pick up the documents and head off to the UK High Commission. The guy had a quick look at the documents, discarded several of them as unnecessary, then said "Oh no, you can't apply for that visa here, you need to apply in your home country". No amount of arguing that 2 other UK embassies had told us differently would shift the guy. So, I demanded to see the High Commissioner. That was impossible. I insisted. It was still impossible. I insisted again. The High Commissioner wasnt in. I made an appointment to see him next week when he would be in town. The next day we got a phone call, turns out it is possible to apply for the visa in Canada after all, we went in, signed a couple of forms, and had the visa the next day.

So, in summary, the visa system is pretty random, and you should allow as much stuffing-about time as possible.

/rant

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wolfman
Mini Geek
Member # 3434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2005 21:58      Profile for Wolfman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a subject I've been a bit mesmerized by for the past few months. I wont actually have to know until a few years later, but Me being a US citizen, and future Miss Wolf being a UK citizen. Eventually I'll need to know exatcly what I have to do to move over there. Dual Citizenship would be preferable, but then again I have no clue whatsoever as of yet how the system works.

--------------------
Sincerely,
The Wolfman

LOST: One Grip (fits my reality)

Posts: 83 | From: North side of the House, Middle of Town, Middle of Kansas, USA, Earth | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2005 00:35      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A friend of mine recently had to cancel a trip to the states at the last minute because of visa/passport problems. I second the "get it as early as you can" philosophy.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted May 02, 2005 08:44      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snupy:
........When I had answered everything to his satisfaction, he mumbled something and stamped my passport. [Big Grin]

sheesh!

Personally Snup, I would have demanded a body cavity search.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Unclear_Physicist
Geek-in-Training
Member # 3784

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2005 09:17      Profile for Unclear_Physicist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What not to say at Immigration:

To set the scene, I was going to Canada to particpate on an experiment at the TRIUMF facility in Vancouver for a couple of weeks. The experiment was in the field of nuclear structure physics (looking for long lived excited states in various A~170 nuclei) and it was my first trip where I would have needed to obtain a visa waiver at the terminus airport.

So I wander up to the booth, slightly bricking it as it was my first time at such a control and was not knowing what to expect. The conversation with the officer at the control went something like the following.

Officer: How long will you be staying here
Me: 17 days
Officer: State the nature of your trip here, work or leisure?
Me: Work
Officer: What kind of work will you be doing?
Me: Well I am here for an experiment
Officer: What kind of experiment?
Me: A nuclear physics experiment (me suddenly realising that I could have said something less stark than that)
Officer: <Taken aback a little> Where is this experiment happening?
Me: Errrr...it is happening at the TRIUMF facility
Officer: Where exactly is that?
Me: Errrrr....I don't exactly know...I think it is on the grounds of the University of British Columbia
Officer: Do you have any documentation about this "experiment"
Me: Errr...no, I am only helping out
Officer: Ok, go to immigration control.

Bugger

Whilst I was briefly waiting at immigration control, I had chance to gather my thoughts together and provide sensible, less blunt responses. I was through this quickly, once I explained exactly what I was doing.

So the lesson to be learnt is when you are at immigration checkpoint in an airport, never say you're there for a nuclear physics experiment! [Smile]

--------------------
Le geek est chic

Posts: 36 | From: Guildford, Surrey | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2005 09:25      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never had an issue getting in or out of the United States (the only country I've ever visited outside of my own.)

Most questioning I've ever received:

Him: "Where're you going?"
Me: "New York."
Him: "New York's a big state. Where in New York?"
Me: "A city called Copiague."
Him: "Where's that?"
Me: "I'm not sure really. I'm just going by what Mapquest tells me."
Him: "How long you gonna be down for?"
Me: "The weekend."
Him: "Nature of your visit?"
Me: "Visiting friends."
Him: "What you got there in your back seat?"
Me: "My stuff."
Him: "What stuff?"
Me: "Clothes, my guitar, personal hygiene, etc."
Him: "OK have a nice time."

On the way back:
Her: "Citizenship?"
Me: "Canadian."
Her: "How long were you in the US for?"
Me: "The weekend."
Her: "Did ya have fun?"
Me: "Yea, got ripped off though. The prices are the same, but their dollar's worth more."
Her: "Yea, tell me about it. Have a nice day."

*edit* this visit was in October of 2002.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2005 10:19      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfman:
This is a subject I've been a bit mesmerized by for the past few months. I wont actually have to know until a few years later, but Me being a US citizen, and future Miss Wolf being a UK citizen. Eventually I'll need to know exatcly what I have to do to move over there. Dual Citizenship would be preferable, but then again I have no clue whatsoever as of yet how the system works.

Oh, you're in for a lot of fun!!!!!!!!! [Razz]

Seriously, though-if you need info, websites, etc, you can always pm me.

--------------------

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2005 11:00      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've visited many a country - the only time I ever got any hassle was while entering Canada (this woman at Winnipeg once sent me off to get interrogated, even though my passport is Cannuckian). Try explaining to Canadian border officals that you're entering your own country on vacation, and you'll get 'does not compute' registering.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wolfman
Mini Geek
Member # 3434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2005 11:22      Profile for Wolfman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont feel too great about it, but I can lie to authority with the best of them [Wink] Just so long as it's somebody I dont know, or even know well, I can get them eating what I say out of the palm of my hand. </bragish rant> anyway, thanks for the offer snupy, is there like a UK Imigration Info website that helped you out? Or are you just a Visa genius [Wink] ? So far the only Visa I've needed was the one that burns about $100 out of my bank account every month (Itunes will be the financial ruin of me). Im eager to find out just how much trouble Im going to have to put up with to get over there.

--------------------
Sincerely,
The Wolfman

LOST: One Grip (fits my reality)

Posts: 83 | From: North side of the House, Middle of Town, Middle of Kansas, USA, Earth | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2005 11:41      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In August of 2001, I returned to the USA from a two-week trip to Australia. We'd visited a farm, so we dutifully (ahem. ;-) ) went through the "We have something to declare for Customs" line.

We pretty much walked past hundreds of people in the "We've nothing to declare" line, up to the Customs agent who briefly checked the soles of our shoes for farm dirt, and on in to the USA. [Cool]

Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2005 11:43      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You think visiting Canada is bad? Try explaining that you (as an American citizen with no ties to Canada) need a six-month work visa, but *don't* plan on becoming a resident or a student there!

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zargof McBain
Mini Geek
Member # 3856

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2005 12:38      Profile for Zargof McBain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfman:
is there like a UK Imigration Info website that helped you out? Or are you just a Visa genius [Wink]

Try www.ukvisas.gov.uk I've not had to use it myself, but I have a friend whose fiancee is American and found this to be a good site.

--------------------
Smile. It makes people wonder what you're thinking

Posts: 75 | From: A dark place | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zargof McBain
Mini Geek
Member # 3856

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2005 12:49      Profile for Zargof McBain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had fun the last time I went to the US. Perhaps I shouldn't have said I was visiting a friend as that meant I got the third degree as well.

I've noticed though they definitely take more interest in me whan I'm travelling by myself. I guess it's this huge crackdown on terrorism (a pretty pointless exercise IMO, but it makes it look like they're doing something). The worst grilling I got was coming back from France just a month after Sept 11. I had been working there for a couple of months and got a few tricky questions.

As for visas, that's something I'm looking at atm. I need to apply for a student visa from the US embassy and the forms are a nightmare. For example there is a question asking you to list all the countries you have been to and there is a tiny box to answer in. Does this mean if you can't fit all the countries in then you don't get the visa? Plus I'm struggling to think of all the countries I've actually been to, as there's quite a few, but I'm not sure which were in the last ten years.

Then I have to schedule an appointment as well. I'm hoping I can get one at the start of next month as it's the only time I'm free until July, which will be cutting things a little fine seeing as how I'll be starting in August. Ooh it's all good fun! [Smile]

--------------------

snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2005 20:18      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah-that UK Visa site is informative. I also got alot of help from this site:

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=815a0fe2c9a6af01cc1819aab005bf51&

--------------------

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2005 22:47      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could be worse Zargof. You could be trying to get a worker visa. To get one of those you have to first line up a job and then get a lawyer. The paperwork is that ugly. There's no way you can handle it yourself. And not only that, but your employer has to be the one paying for the lawyer. I know this because my boyfriend just got approved for a H1-B.

Here's another visa nightmare story for you. I have an acquaintance who is a Bosnian Serb. Now there's a list out there somewhere of war criminals wanted by the ICC from the lovely batch of wars that sprouted when Yugoslavia broke up. My acquaintance has the same name as one of these criminals (but, if you look at the pictures, you will see that M the criminal is not the same person as M the engineer). Well, he got his student visa just fine somehow but then he went back to Bosnia for the New Year and yeah, he got stuck. For three months. It too that long for the US embassy to agree that M the engineer is not the M wanted by the Hague and the get State Department approval to let him back into the US. This was with petitions on his behalf being filed by the university. I have no idea what would have happened if the university hadn't had his back. He might still be there. People warned him that this would happen but M is quite stubborn, and he paid for it. His advisor was nice enough to pay him for those three months of being stuck, but I'm not sure he'll be allowed to take another vacation anytime soon...

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zargof McBain
Mini Geek
Member # 3856

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2005 23:35      Profile for Zargof McBain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Could be worse Zargof. You could be trying to get a worker visa. To get one of those you have to first line up a job and then get a lawyer. The paperwork is that ugly. There's no way you can handle it yourself. And not only that, but your employer has to be the one paying for the lawyer. I know this because my boyfriend just got approved for a H1-B.

Xanthine, I know it's much harder to get a H-1B visa, as I looked into it before to try and fund my Masters (work full-time, study part-time). The main problem that you didn't mention was that in finding a job it has to be something that an American can't do. Seeing as how I only completed my undergrad degree three years ago, my skill set isn't huge, and the work I have been doing is in military networks, I don't think the British government would be best pleased if I started sharing that with everyone willy-nilly. So I'm having to take the hit financially instead.

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 03, 2005 05:40      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To All------Back in 1985 I was returning from Ireland to Detroit, I presented myself to the do you have any thing to declare inspector put most of my belongings on the counter, but neglected to put my duffle bag on the counter, it still being strapped to my shoulder. The agent quickly noticed it and asked what is in the duffle bag, I quickly replied "my dirty underwear, want to look"! He quickly said "take that and all of this stuff and get out." fastest trip through customs I ever had.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
nit
Geek-in-Training
Member # 2690

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 03, 2005 07:22      Profile for nit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On visiting the States earlier this year I was very tempted to put my occupation down as 'spare pilot'

I chickened out in the end, seeing as how paranoid US Customs officials can be (or so I had been told).

although I once caused a minor security alert in Schipol airport, walked through metal detector and had walkman on inside pocket of my coat, as the alarm went off I pretended to be pulling out a hostered weapon... it only occured to be a really dumb idea right after I had a couple of machine guns and many pistols pointed at me. yes, well, I was only 15, all teenagers are dumb, no?

--------------------
Nit
_ _ ___________________________ _ _
Truth is like a blanket that always leaves your feet cold. You push it, stretch it, it'll never be enough. Kick at it, beat it, it'll never cover any of us. From the moment we enter crying, to the moment we leave dying, it'll just cover your face as you wail and cry and scream.

quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 03, 2005 07:46      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget: Him: "New York's a big state. Where in New York?"
Me: "A city called Copiague."

Copiague is my neck of the woods - on Long GUY-land (in the local pronunciation). We have all these towns with Shinnecock Indian names that no one can get right. It's our downstate NY shibboleth.

Personally, I don't ever recall a problem at immigrations. In the 70's I landed in Heathrow and we went through passport control, but there was no customs screening. We picked up our luggage, followed the signs, and were out the doors to the taxi stand, wondering "Where the hell was customs?".

I once went to the Bahamas with an expired passport. I didn't find out until coming back, and the US immigration guy told me.

Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 03, 2005 07:50      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice MoMan!

I've never had any trouble with customs. I was a bit nervous coming back from Bolivia as the little form they gave me asked if I'd been in any rural areas (only the whole damn trip...and there was dirt on gear to prove it). Anxious, I consulted my father who told me we'd really been in national parks. The customs dudes never questioned me.

Zargof: if your student visa is a F visa I believe that, after a year, you can qualify for Continuing Practical Training and start working. The foreign student service at your university can tell you more though. And I have no idea if this option is viable if you get a J visa. US immigration = [crazy]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture