homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Stupid weather! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Stupid weather!
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted April 23, 2005 20:21      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. Last Tuesday I was wearing shorts and a sweatshirt riding my
bike down around Metro Beach on Lake St. Clair on an 80 degree day.
Today is the latest snowstorm I can remember. The last one
was April 15, 1977 when a snow and ice storm hit most of the upper
midwest and the east.
Today upbound lake frieghters were taking anchor in the St. Clair
river to wait out the storm before heading into Lake Huron.

-

As usual the geese didn't seem to be bothered.

-

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Koboldskind
Geek-in-Training
Member # 3849

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 24, 2005 00:37      Profile for Koboldskind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you don't want the snow, maybe we could come to an arrangement that would let me come to some snow.... a snow storm in april would be great, winter is much too short around here

--------------------
In the Beginning, there was nothing, which exploded ...

Posts: 36 | From: Germany | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted April 24, 2005 04:40      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HalfVast, I feel your pain... I have it where I am too!

How can people LIVE here?
[Big Grin]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted April 24, 2005 12:29      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was 21C here yesterday.....same for today and the rest of the week [Big Grin]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 24, 2005 16:08      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ouch man.

My last year in ROchester, NY we had an ice storm sometime in mid-April. Parts of the area were without power or heat for almost a week. I lived on campus and we never lost power so I was lucky. But I was a volunteer medic and spent a good deal of time out in the community, so I spent a lot of time on one of my shifts bringing/replacing/repairing emergency oxygen tanks to older people who weren't so lucky.

We had a snow storm here in Boulder a couple weeks ago and they're predicting snow again tomorrow. In honor of the occasion I spent a good three or four hours replacing a couple critical cables on my bike. Before you laugh, I'd never done it before (it's more intense than tuning but not as ugly as I thought it would be). I can now use my front brake (which isn't always a good idea but it's very nice to have that option) and my front derailleur cable is now no longer in danger of coming apart.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 24, 2005 16:14      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The weather here has sucked too. No snow, but it's dropped to 8c and been raining, as it's apparently supposed to do until the end of the week. :S
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mel
Alpha Geek
Member # 3553

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 24, 2005 17:47      Profile for Mel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Supposed to get to -5C tonight and rain/snow. We got a snow storm in the middle of May last year!
Posts: 309 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 24, 2005 18:14      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There were some heavy snow falls near my parents home in early February this year. That's the equivalent of snow in August for you Northies.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 24, 2005 18:17      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, just had a look at my thermometer here in the study. Currently 23.3C, max 30.3C (so far so good), minimum -34.8C huh?

This is inside, how the heck did it get to be that cold, even overnight. Something's not right there.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted April 24, 2005 20:02      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I gotta tell ya. I am diggin' the whole global warming thing.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
suttsteve
Maximum Newbie
Member # 3448

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2005 07:47      Profile for suttsteve   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The weather, here, can't decide what it wants to do. One day, it's sunny, with temperatures in the upper 50s(F), the next day, it's raining, with temperatures in the lower 80s(F).
Posts: 15 | From: Springfield, GA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2005 08:02      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got the blues myself.

Thurs. 85 F
Fri. I took the bike to work and it decided to rain. [Mad]
Sat 75F and sunny, I was doing chores
Sun. 60F and rained all day.
Today (Mon) 51F Slightly sunny.

Hmmm. Where is that California weather?

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
toobe

Member # 3783

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2005 08:16      Profile for toobe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was 13 degrees (Celsius) by 6:00 AM this morning. Bright blue skies, et al. Got a bit of a sunburn yesterday...

Gotta love the left coast.

--------------------
Studies show reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it.

Posts: 175 | From: Victoria, BC | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted April 25, 2005 15:15      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well now when I left for work about 6:30 am there was about 4
inches of snow on the ground. On the way in I caught sight of
some blue sky though the clouds and now it's 60 and sunny with
no trace that any of it ever happened. I should know better. They
say that if you don't like the weather in Michigan, wait 5 minutes.

Looks good. Think I'll take a walk [Smile]

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dr Cyclops
Assimilated
Member # 986

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 26, 2005 19:29      Profile for Dr Cyclops   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds very familiar to me. A few saturdays ago, it was about 85F and sunny (It felt much warmer in a black Taijutsu gi). By monday, there was about 4 inches of snow on the ground, followed by three days of freezing rain.

After a few weeks of good weather, a tornado appeared one day and almost touched down. The next day the weather was fine.

On the plus side, NM might just get 8 inches of precipitation this year...

--------------------
When the W'rkncacnter came, Pthia was killed, and Yrro in anger, flung the W'rkncacnter into the sun. The sun burned them, but they swam on its surface.

Posts: 499 | From: Upon the slab, Unbroken. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mel
Alpha Geek
Member # 3553

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2005 09:06      Profile for Mel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flurries today...oh God, make it stop!! I'm totally moving away out west!
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2005 09:28      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Come up here.....sunny and hot. Teachers make MAJOR coin here too.

If your interested in what they actually make, pm me.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Mel
Alpha Geek
Member # 3553

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2005 10:27      Profile for Mel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up? Where are you located?
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2005 11:49      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The weather's fairly nice here right now, but the temperature has started it's climb, and we'll be baking in about a month or so. It seems like we usually hit 110 F at least one or two days out of the summer.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2005 12:43      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mel:
Up? Where are you located?

Yukon

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Mel
Alpha Geek
Member # 3553

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2005 13:37      Profile for Mel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yikes! Yeah, I think there would be a reason you get paid more there...people stay away from northern Canada like it's diseased! Do you like it there? Is it a hip, happenin' place?
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2005 14:34      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They're tipping 30 C (86° F) for today, which will be a record high for this time of year. (it's the equivalent of late October for you northies)

Global warming?
Bah !
Humbug !

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2005 15:44      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is hip...it is happening....and we like the fact there is not a lot of people, 35K in the territory 22K in the city.

You can't beat 20+ hours of daylight in the summer.....and the 3 dog nights in the winter.

Mel: Check your pms

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2005 15:49      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Mel

Didn't you know Yukon is real cool? Like -30F cool....

Hey Cap'n did you ever watch "Northern Exposure"? Was it funny to you or just trash... (I found it very amusing but then I am neither North American Continental nor above the Arctic Circle... So maybe it was just the silly stereotypes that amused me...)

[Big Grin]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2005 16:05      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Surprisingly.....Northern Exposure wasn't too far off base. There are the locals.....first nations. The newcomers...mostly white that have been here a few generations (Sourdoughs), since the gold rush and the n00bs who have spent less than 10 winters here, Cheechakos.

I think there is a certain mindset that brings people to the North...it is still a frontier in a lot of ways. There is a lot of money to be made (and lost) and an air of lawlessness which suited me when I first came here.....Christ, you could walk down the street with an open beer or drive while drinking (as long as you weren't drunk)

Lots of very ecentric people here...we call them the colourful 5%....the longer you are here, the better the chance you'd be included in that group. The countryside is amazing.....you never get tired of the mountains, clean air, lakes and rivers, aurora, looooooong summed days and a very laid back life style.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture