homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » 8 years jail, and 3.5 million for SUV vandal

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 8 years jail, and 3.5 million for SUV vandal
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted April 19, 2005 10:40      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An aspiring physicist was sentenced to more than eight years in prison on Monday and ordered to pay $3.5 million for his role in a spree of arson and vandalism that targeted gas-guzzling Hummers and other sports utility vehicles....

http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/story.jsp?idq=/ff/story/0002/20050418/2124024676.htm&photoid=20050413NY389

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 19, 2005 10:46      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
"The defendant engaged in conduct to send a political message," said federal prosecutor Beverly Reid O'Connell. "He's a scheming, arrogant person who is disdainful of the law and the justice system."
Sounds like my kind of guy.

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted April 19, 2005 10:51      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A terrorist of the highest order......send him to Gitmo.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
SupportGoddess

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 822

Icon 1 posted April 19, 2005 12:52      Profile for SupportGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by angryjungman:
quote:
"The defendant engaged in conduct to send a political message," said federal prosecutor Beverly Reid O'Connell. "He's a scheming, arrogant person who is disdainful of the law and the justice system."
Sounds like my kind of guy.
How much do you want to bet Bev drives an SUV?

--------------------
"A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes."
-Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Posts: 1148 | From: The Digital Temple | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 19, 2005 14:58      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
8 years for a politically motivated attack on some cars.

/me wonders how long he'd have got for dumping some tea in Boston harbour.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 19, 2005 19:37      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, it's rarely about justice, it's about which lawyer can win.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted April 20, 2005 00:58            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
A terrorist of the highest order......send him to Gitmo.

Well, I wouldn't go that far, but essentially, you have it right. These kind of people are terrorists, and deserve to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. The fact that they conduct their crimes against property rather than people is irrelevant.

Ironic that this story should break on a day (the 10th anniversary of the Oklahoma City bombing) when people are dragging out the old "right-wing militia terror" chestnut. In fact, since 2003 the vast majority of domestic terror incidents in the U.S. have been committed by left-wing groups, chiefly radical environmentalists. Meanwhile, the Southern Poverty Law Center acknowledges that the number of active right-wing militias has dropped to almost none since 1995. (Of course, they include in their definition of "right-wing militias" things like "groups that are assisting in the Federal Government's enforcement of immigration laws"...)

Not that "left-wing" and "right-wing" mean much when it comes to terror tactics. It is wisely said that "terrorism is the last refuge of the scoundrel," and that's true no matter which side of the spectrum you're on. Use of terror tactics by any group, no matter the agenda, is deplorable and must be aggressively pursued by the appropriate authorities.

IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2005 03:04      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erbo,

I'll think you'll find that it was PATRIOTISM that was the last refuge of a scoundrel...

However, regarding left/right wing when referring to terrorism means little or nothing, it is just a peg for the media to hang someone from... Many extremist groups appear to claim to be far left/right but seem to have gone so far "out there" that they've actually come full circle and ended up on on the outer edges of what they claim to oppose....

Terrorism is just BULLYING writ very big and nasty...

(World policing is bullying writ big and unpleasant but it doesn't intentionally SET OUT to hurt people like suicide bombers etc do...)

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted April 20, 2005 08:53      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't 'everything else' considered left-wing with respect to the current administration?

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted April 20, 2005 10:25            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Serenak, thanks for the clarification. I think I heard the "terrorism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" version somewhere else, which also opined, "Terrorism is the last refuge of the wimp."
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
Isn't 'everything else' considered left-wing with respect to the current administration?

Hardly. There's aspects about the current administration that, quite frankly, don't go far enough, and many people out there who are referring to Bush as a RINO (Republican In Name Only). I sometimes think Bush should be asking himself a few questions from "The Last Straw":

Are we too far gone?
Are we solely responsible?
Have we lost our balls?
Do we just not care?

IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted April 20, 2005 11:19      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erbo:
Hardly. There's aspects about the current administration that, quite frankly, don't go far enough, and many people out there who are referring to Bush as a RINO (Republican In Name Only).

Now you're scaring me.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture