homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Those of you in america (and canada too it seems)...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Those of you in america (and canada too it seems)...
californiarockr
Assimilated
Member # 1986

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2005 23:05      Profile for californiarockr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What did you spend your tax break on, if you got one?

I am ashamed to be so excited about a gun, but I haven't paintballed since 8th grade and an indoor arena just opened, so I will be heading out there. I need to get a new barrell though :/

-
 -

edited for Canadian taxes

--------------------
lol

Posts: 361 | From: guess... :/ | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
maia
Alpha Geek
Member # 3778

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2005 23:22      Profile for maia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coool!! [thumbsup]
I have recently gotten into paintball myself. Me, Orpheus, and some other grad students have been trying to go once a month to a great outdoor place nearby. We have all been talking about buying our own guns to avoid paying a ton of money to rent the crappy ones when we go. You have given me a very good idea of what to do with my refund. The funny thing is I consider myself very much a pacifist, but when I get out there, I turn into a killing machine. My brother used to be on a sponsored team and tried for years to get me to go play, but I always thought of it as a guy thing. Now, I finally understand the appeal. Great way to get rid of frustrations and get exercise at the same time.

All I have to do now is decide if I want a new gun or a new camera. Either way, I'll get to shoot stuff.

Well, hope you enjoy!!!! [Smile]

--------------------
Nothing is too petty to be thoroughly discussed.

Posts: 316 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Evendir
Geek Larva
Member # 3839

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2005 23:39      Profile for Evendir     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks great!

I just got into paintball myself a couple years ago as well. We make a day trip out of it to go to this fantastic outdoor place that's over an hour outside the city, and run around taking our aggressions out on each other until we're guarenteed to barely be able to walk the next day from muscle strain. So much fun. [Wink] We've managed to get out a few times each summer, and I'm anxiously awaiting the better weather to get out again.

Having your own gun is a great idea if you're going to be playing a lot... the rental fees are insane. Enjoy!

Posts: 21 | From: Best City On Earth: Toronto | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
BronzeG3
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2590

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2005 00:16      Profile for BronzeG3   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice, i have a model 98 custom. 16 inch custom products barrel, expansion chamber, drop forward, adjustable stock, the works...

problem is paint is so expensive i can't play as often as i want. [Frown]

Posts: 44 | From: VTech | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2005 05:47      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not into paintball, but I just got my first taste of Patrol at MIT's preview weekend. I'm addicted.

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2005 06:46      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My ex-roommate is a paintball junky.. thousands of dollars in gear, and he's been to canada-wide tournaments and made some of that money back winning them.. it's insane.

But, alas, my taxes have to be filed in two weeks (I'm in Canada), and it looks like I'm gonna owe a hefty some of money (money I don't have, no less. :S)

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
californiarockr
Assimilated
Member # 1986

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2005 08:58      Profile for californiarockr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by maia:
Coool!! [thumbsup]
I have recently gotten into paintball myself. Me, Orpheus, and some other grad students have been trying to go once a month to a great outdoor place nearby. We have all been talking about buying our own guns to avoid paying a ton of money to rent the crappy ones when we go. You have given me a very good idea of what to do with my refund. The funny thing is I consider myself very much a pacifist, but when I get out there, I turn into a killing machine. My brother used to be on a sponsored team and tried for years to get me to go play, but I always thought of it as a guy thing. Now, I finally understand the appeal. Great way to get rid of frustrations and get exercise at the same time.

All I have to do now is decide if I want a new gun or a new camera. Either way, I'll get to shoot stuff.

Well, hope you enjoy!!!! [Smile]

I would highly recommend this marker, or the custom. Its a little heavy, but definitly sturdy and rugged. The custom's main difference is that it comes pre-drilled and has more space meaning less drilling and filing when you add modifications. You can get a great deal on the custom here, but I dont know how long that will last. The first upgrade, if any would be a Tippmann flatline barrell from what I heard, but thats out of my price range for right now.

EDIT:

If anyone lives near Burlingame CA, I am probably gonna check out the new arena this friday at about 5-10 pm. Tell me if you live nearby, or if you wanna go too (I might not tho, so email me or something so I let you know and dont leave you hanging)

--------------------
lol

californiarockr
Assimilated
Member # 1986

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2005 16:58      Profile for californiarockr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really want to get aTippmann flatline barrell system, but at over 100 bucks I can't afford it right now. So I was thinking I will buy another tippmann standard barrell. Then I want to screw it on, and file down the inside bottom of the tip, where the ball exits, opening it like 1/16th of an inch. Then Ill test it, if the results are negative or nothing at all, ill add a tiny lip to the top. The result should be a minor backspin (or chopping...). Think this would work for a temporary fix? If not I am out, what, 15 bucks?

--------------------
lol

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2005 17:07      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If paint's so expensive, couldn't you make your own ammo? Dissolve a few packets of Knox gelatin in a bit of water, stir in some acrylic paint and put it in one of those ice cube trays where the cubes are closer to spheres. Let it harden in the freezer, then pop 'em out and shave the edges a bit to make it fit your gun. The outside should dry quickly, thus leaving some gooshiness in the inside.

You could also make a plaster cast of a paintball so's you wouldn't have to shave the edges to fit.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
californiarockr
Assimilated
Member # 1986

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2005 17:23      Profile for californiarockr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
unforunatly, I dont think it would work. The diameters for paintballs range from .680 to .695 inches, meaning too accurate for homemade, me thinks. Also, things expand when they are warm, and when you let them cool, they will shrink. But that would be better than them expanding, I guess. Oh but you also have to think about densities, the gelatin would probably float up over the paint as it cooled...

--------------------
lol

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture