homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Really hurt (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Really hurt
Erbo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted April 12, 2005 11:20      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You may remember my last missive about my dislocated kneecap. Well, turns out it's worse than that. As bad luck goes, I hit the jackpot.

There are three tendons that connect your quadriceps muscle (the one that straightens your knee) to your kneecap. I've ripped one of them and part of another. The doctor picked up on it when he saw that, two months after I was injured, I was unable to lift my left leg while sitting on a chair. An MRI I got last week confirmed it. The doctor says he's never seen anything like it.

So, they'll need to go in and sew up the tendons, and maybe put little eyebolts through my kneecap to secure one of them. It's not yet scheduled, but it's got to happen sometime before the end of next week. Afterwards, my leg will need to stay locked in a straight position for six weeks. And, in that position, I can't fit behind the wheel of my car, so Pamela'll have to get me to and from work (about 40 minutes' drive each way). If it weren't for her, I'd be really S.O.L.

Pamela's got her own problems. Two years ago, she broke her foot, and it never healed properly, so, once I recover, she'll have to have that fixed, with screws and plates and whatever else. But it doesn't have the same urgency my leg has.

I suppose I should consider myself fortunate. Last week, as I was in the waiting room of the imaging company where I was about to be MRI'd, my father called. My cousin Sarah had parked her car by a mailbox when the car started rolling on her. Since her daughter was still inside, strapped in a car seat, she tried to stop the car, but got hung up on it as it crashed into a building, crushing her and burying her under rubble...20 minutes without oxygen. She was in a coma and listed in "grave condition" (which is the state she was in when my father called) until Saturday afternoon, when her husband made the decision to terminate life support. She died around 4:00 PM on Saturday. A senseless tragedy, and one that clearly was not supposed to happen.

So, as you can see, we've had a bit of a whammy here. I hope I'll be all right after they fix my leg, but I'm still edgy about it.

--------------------
See more From The Erbo Files: www.erbosoft.com/blog/

Posts: 1480 | From: Denver, CO, US | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Luke Skywalker
Assimilated
Member # 3096

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2005 12:12      Profile for Luke Skywalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ouch. Ive known ppl who tear their ACL in their knee, but that sounds a bunch worse.

--------------------
Use the Force, Luke.

Posts: 406 | From: The Line Between Time and Space | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
maia
Alpha Geek
Member # 3778

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2005 13:28      Profile for maia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, OUCH, indeed. Sounds like you have a lot on your plate. Good that you have some help and can keep it all in perspective, though. I'll be wishing you and the loved ones mentioned the best possible recovery.

--------------------
Nothing is too petty to be thoroughly discussed.

Posts: 316 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2005 14:03      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh ick. Good luck getting your knee put back together. Knees are so frickin' complicated. I know so many people who've mangled their knees it's not even funny. But most of them are able to continue with the activiites they love, from running to martial arts to skiing, so it's more of a bump in the road than an end. Good luck.

I'm very very sorry to hear about your cousin. That's so terrible and so tragic.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
n4dmx
Geek
Member # 3177

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2005 14:34      Profile for n4dmx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh man, sorry to hear about your cousin. [shake head]

I hope you get your knee fixed up, and maybe things will look better in the near future.

Posts: 218 | From: Georgia | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted April 12, 2005 14:50      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cripes, my sympathies on the knee. Thank goodness they think they can do some repair though.

That is so sad about your cousin. [Frown]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2005 16:27      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Knees are so frickin' complicated. I know so many people who've mangled their knees it's not even funny. But most of them are able to continue with the activiites they love, from running to martial arts to skiing, so it's more of a bump in the road than an end.

I'll settle for being able to play Dance Dance Revolution Ultramix 2 again. [Smile]

--------------------

Erbo
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2005 16:31      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As for Sarah...if she'd let the car just roll, her daughter would've been OK when it hit. However, for her, that'd be three decades of intellectual knowledge going up against a couple billion years of instinct. The instinct of a mother to protect her offspring--even though it may cost her own life--is not only the most primordial instinct of humanity, it's probably the most primordial instinct of all Nature. It's tragic, but it is understandable at a certain level...

--------------------

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2005 19:24      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It still sucks though.

AS far as your knee goes, do what the doctor tells you, take the physical therapy, and you'll dance again. Or, if PT seems to expensive, you can try yoga. My dad did that after his hip replacement. One year later I was leading him up Mt. Rainier.

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2005 19:36      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear about your cousin, that's truly a tragic loss. My condolences to all concerned.

As for the kneecap, having had a dislocated kneecap myself (not as severe as yours, though), yes, it hurts like anything. However, it gives me very few problems now, and I still play pretty much whatever sport I like, etc. I suspect there's light at the end of the tunnel, it's just a matter of time.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted April 12, 2005 20:37      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my condolences about your cousin. That is truly tragic.

This past fall I hurt my knee during football (Essentially had the two heaviest linemen in our division land on me... at the same time). Before the injury, I was repping 360 pounds for squats and maxing at like 480. After i hurt myself, i determined to take it easy. I figured it would take only a couple of weeks to fully heal my ACL, which I had brought to the brink of tearing (thank god it didnt, though).
I was wrong. four weeks later I tried to squat my normal weight and damn near killed myself (no spotter... please, keep the flaming to a minimum). The worst part of it all was that I couldn't compete in taekwondo, which is the more important of the two sports I really participate in.
The moral of the story? TAKE IT EASY. you can't hear it enough. knees get screwed when it comes to the stress put on them everyday. your knees are like your back: if they go, pretty much everything else goes to.
I think there should be a national Knee Recognition Day, to recognize the contributions knees have made and continue to make to human society.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2005 23:09      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read somewhere that from an engineering standpoint human knees are really poorly designed and more or less guaranteed to blow out at some point under stress. Something for evolution to work on some more I guess. Kinda makes me wonder how many cavemen bought it because they lost an ACL or something while hunting.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2005 00:01      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear about your cousin, Erbo.
Sometimes life is really fscking unfair. [Frown]

Hope the knee gets better.

quote:
I read somewhere that from an engineering standpoint human knees are really poorly designed and more or less guaranteed to blow out at some point under stress. Something for evolution to work on some more I guess. Kinda makes me wonder how many cavemen bought it because they lost an ACL or something while hunting.

Read a thing a while back about some sports medicine researchers looking into a particular kind of knee injury. It seems female soccer players are particularly prone to this kind of injury, and these researchers wanted to know why. After examining the structure of the knee in both males and females, testing the strength of various ligaments and so on, they still had no good explanation for the difference between male and female injury rates.

Then they reviewed videotapes of actual soccer games, looking at the moment of injury in slow motion, and came to a startling conclusion.

Female soccer players run like girls.

Something about the typical female running action puts undue stress on the knee.

I wonder if this is the explanation for the traditional division of responsibilities in hunter/gatherer societies (men hunt, women gather). Might our ancestors have noticed that female hunters stuffed up their knees more often?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2005 00:16      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's possible. The article I read about bad knee design did mention that women are especially prone to knee problems (ACL tears in particular) because we grow wider hips and that mucks up the distribution of stress on the joint. So us girls had an evolutionary choice...knees that don't buckle under heavy use or bearing children without dying. Gotta love them trade-offs. :/ I saw someone blow their ACL at an aikido class. Not fun. Not fun at all. She did that on top of a bunch of other knee problems and ended up dropping aikido. I suppose some whackjob out there is trying to use that as a reason why women shouldn't be physical, although the disadvantage of a potential injury is far out-weighed by things like lower cancer risk, lower heart disease risk, maintaining a healthy weight, feeling good (endorphins anyone?), being able to eat chocolate without feeling guilty because you need to replace some calories, etc.

All that aside, the only dislocated kneecaps I've personally seen or heard of belonged to men. My first call ever as a medic was for a frosh who dislocated his knee while jumping off a sofa (???). The knee cap was shifted over almost an inch. It looked bad, and from the way the poor kid was crying it hurt even worse.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2005 00:20      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, and then you go and play a sport like netball, which has to be one of the most damaging to knees, ever. Hmm, that could explain something, too...

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2005 02:44      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I suppose some whackjob out there is trying to use that as a reason why women shouldn't be physical, although the disadvantage of a potential injury is far out-weighed by things like lower cancer risk, lower heart disease risk, maintaining a healthy weight, feeling good (endorphins anyone?), being able to eat chocolate without feeling guilty because you need to replace some calories, etc.

Also this site lists activities like Jogging, walking, stair climbing, dancing and soccer as useful for preventing osteoporosis in later life.
So, stuffed knees now, or stuffed bones later. As you said, gotta love them tradeoffs [ohwell]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2005 12:06      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing about knees (from personal experience) is that once injured they never heal. They get better but will never go back to the way they were. I has been close to 8-9 months since I blew mine out and it still bothers me. If I walk for more than 30 minutes. Or of I ride my motorcycle for longer than 2 hrs my knee will cramp and give me fits.

My condolences on your Cousin and good luck with you surgury.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
californiarockr
Assimilated
Member # 1986

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2005 13:11      Profile for californiarockr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ouch man. Best of luck with recovery [Frown]

--------------------
lol

Posts: 361 | From: guess... :/ | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2005 14:08      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:
The thing about knees (from personal experience) is that once injured they never heal. They get better but will never go back to the way they were. I has been close to 8-9 months since I blew mine out and it still bothers me. If I walk for more than 30 minutes. Or of I ride my motorcycle for longer than 2 hrs my knee will cramp and give me fits.

My condolences on your Cousin and good luck with you surgury.

I'll agree with that. Almost 20 years ago, I was in the Army. We were on a night exercise in an APC when we drove into a deep ditch some lugnut forgot to strap down an ammo case which ended up hitting my leg, it broke my Patella (knee cap) in 3, with a full tear at ACL and a partial at MCL. Even after a bunch of surgeries the knee is much better, but I still deal with chronic pain/arthritis every day. I've run the gammet on arthroscopic surgery, drains, NSAIDs, celebrex etc etc.

The pain is never gone, no matter what I do. Now, I choose to ignore it most of the time but ocassionaly I will pop 600ml of Ibu when really needed.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2005 14:37      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just got off the phone with the doctor's office. Surgery will be on the 21st. More details coming tomorrow.

--------------------

Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 15, 2005 12:22      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck on the surgery!

Sorry about your cousin, man, that is tragic.

I tore my ACL a few years back, the memories of the pain and immobility is strong. I feel for you dood.

CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 15, 2005 13:43      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
[QBEven after a bunch of surgeries the knee is much better, but I still deal with chronic pain/arthritis every day. I've run the gammet on arthroscopic surgery, drains, NSAIDs, celebrex etc etc.

The pain is never gone, no matter what I do. Now, I choose to ignore it most of the time but ocassionaly I will pop 600ml of Ibu when really needed. [/QB]

Well I guess the interesting part is that I am now a damn handy barometer. I can tell you when the rain and cold snaps are coming in. "My knee is a actin' up. That means we are gonnuh have a rain." I think I need some Rheumatiz medicine.
[Big Grin]

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 15, 2005 14:51      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:
Well I guess the interesting part is that I am now a damn handy barometer. I can tell you when the rain and cold snaps are coming in. "My knee is a actin' up. That means we are gonnuh have a rain." I think I need some Rheumatiz medicine.
[Big Grin]

Second joint, middle finger, right hand.
Legacy of a run-in with a local tom-cat.

It's really weird how that works.
Does anyone know the science of the 'barometer joint' ?

--------------------

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 15, 2005 15:48      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, but the foot I fscked up in aikido hurts when the weather is changing. Doesn't matter if it's getting better or worse - it just has to be changing. I was bloody limping before the snowstorm we had last Sunday. It would annoy me a lot less but for the fact I'm 24. That's too young to be a barometer!!

--------------------
- The Decemberists

Erbo
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2005 18:29      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thing is, my knee doesn't really hurt as such. It twinges every so often if I try to step on that leg wrong, and it's not too comfortable (and unsettling!) to see my kneecap that far off kilter, but the real problem is just the mobility. When sitting on a chair, I can't lift my left leg off the floor without assistance. When lying on my back, I can push it forward, and even lift the whole leg up, but not too well. I can walk some without a crutch, but I'm still awkward. When getting into my car, I get myself in the seat and my right leg in, then I grab my left leg with both hands, keeping the kneecap as straight as I can, and haul it into the car.

Hopefully the repair will mean some improvements, eventually.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture