homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Instruments of Torture

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Instruments of Torture
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2005 21:31      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is from my dear sister in response to my offer to sell her my beautiful acoustic viola in order to buy an electric-acoustic 5-string violin:

quote:
Are you smoking something? I do not wish to purchase an instrument of torture-- the sound of which terrorizes myself and others. No! If you heard me play you wouldn't want to even offer me thesale of yourviola. I'm supposed to play with vibrato for the final!Can you understand having vibrato after 6 weeks of the instrument and only 12 weeks of string instruments ingeneral? I don't know what I'm goingto do, because Ican't do any vibrato at all yet. Hopefully that willchange verysoon.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2005 22:35      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Believe me, if she's nervous, vibrato will come easily. Very easily. Her big concern will be to not be playing spiccato as well.

/bad audition memories

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted April 06, 2005 10:24      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow I've always wanted an electric violin.

I can play vibrato, but only using bad form; I bend my wrist. I was always getting in trouble with my instructor for that [Frown]

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2005 14:04      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<useless info>
I can do vibrato....but I play flute [Razz]

Previous singing experience further backing up said vibrato capabilities...
</useless info>

I still would love learn violin, just so I can use one of the electric variety [Wink] . I highly doubt I'll ever find time in my schedule to pull that off though [Frown] .

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2005 14:10      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spiderman:
<useless info>

</useless info>

Did you ever go to band camp? [Wink]
Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2005 14:14      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Black Widow:
quote:
<useless info>

</useless info>

Hehe, as a matter of fact, yes...about 5 years ago. Nothing quite like *that* band camp though... [Wink] [Razz]

Edit: Where ya been? I haven't seen you on IRC for awhile...

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2005 14:52      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does music camp count? I went for piano and sang in the show chorus. Incidentally, I met a really nice (i.e., talented, intelligent, friendly) Mormon trumpet player there who ended up transfering to my school the next year.

Turns out my semi-best friend (whom I met at PSU three years ago--OSG to some of you), a flute player, went to the same music camp the year after I went. Small world, huh?

And yes, MTB, you're not the only one who bends her wrist while playing vibrato. I think it's a result of how my teacher taught me to play.  -

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2005 18:10      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could never play vibrato, and was always jealous of those who could. I did go to one band camp, but only stayed there for part of a day, not overnight.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2005 20:17      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Black Widow:

Hehe, as a matter of fact, yes...about 5 years ago. Nothing quite like *that* band camp though... [Wink] [Razz]

Edit: Where ya been? I haven't seen you on IRC for awhile...

I too am a flautist, and went to band camp for five years also, and no, I never did anything like that!

In re: edit
I have been busy. [Wink] [Wink] [Razz] [hearts]

Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tom- geeking around

Member # 2876

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted April 07, 2005 05:22      Profile for Tom- geeking around   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL.. i play the saxophone, the clarinet and guitar.
I can't really do a vibrato on the clarinet, unless I use a very soft reed (even softer than those intended for jazz- which are already quite soft, compared to those "classic-music"-ones)..
But on the sax, it's very easy- use a rico royal select jazz 2h reed, and just playing a little with the pressure of your lower jaw, and voila, you did it.. Thats cool..

And on the guitar.. well... californiarockr- I guess you know that this is an easy one *gg*.
I either do string-bending (which I cant really do, because my fingers are too weak), or I use the tremolo system.. Technically, tremolo is the wrong word, but its common, and its the same I guess-
If its not, please correct me!

Please let me know for how much you have sold the viola then!

Thanks,
thomas

--------------------
Pizza and ginormous jugs is what I need!

Posts: 374 | From: Vienna | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2005 07:36      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like to play a lot of AC/DC on my guitar, and to be able to pull of Angus' solos, you have to be able to do bends and vibratos at the same time.. insanity. But it sounds good. [Smile]
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2005 08:35      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quick question: how much costs an electric violin? I play with the idea of adding a new instrument to my list, and this would be a good one, as I wouldn't "torture" [Wink] my neighbours while learning by myself. I've done a few internet searches, but they either don't give price, or they don't give the info I'd like. (What good is it to know that an electric violin for professionnals can cost up to many grands? I won't pay that much just for fun. And I guess the lowly priced ones aren't of the silent kind, but rather traditional ones with a mic plug.)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2005 12:14      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From my research, it looks like only Yamaha makes silent violins. They have a microphone jack so that you can plug in and practice wherever/whenever.

If you really want info on electric violins, check out Fiddleforum. There's a list of sponsors on the left side. Emily carries some good inexpensive violins. Gianna violins and Jordan violins are really good, but out of my price range. I'd really like a Jordan, but Emily has a G-clef -shaped electric 5-string for sale on eBay that I might bid on closer to the ending date.

In addition to the sponsor pages, the forums have anything and everything you'd want to know about electric violins and fiddle-playing in general: teaching advice, lessons, mp3s, advice on buying, bargain classifieds (people even advertise paying gigs!), etc. Definitely worth checking out. Membership lets you download and see threads hidden from the general public, but it's free. [Smile]

--------------------

SupportGoddess

Member # 822

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2005 14:58      Profile for SupportGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depending on why you want it, you might also consider getting pickups for your viola, if it's just because you want to hook up to an amp. I have some for my violin and they work great. I've always been partial to the acoustic sound, myself.

--------------------
"A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes."
-Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Posts: 1148 | From: The Digital Temple | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2005 15:16      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I've thought about add-on pickups, but I really want the range of a 5-string and the flashiness of an electric. I'm a glutton for attention! [Wink]

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2005 17:33      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
From my research, it looks like only Yamaha makes silent violins. They have a microphone jack so that you can plug in and practice wherever/whenever.

What about MIDI violins, is that pretty much the same thing? Well, I guess most MIDI violin's would also be able to be connected to an amp.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2005 17:54      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Correction: Juilliards apparently makes silent electrics too. They have about 10 different violins on eBay right now.

I've heard of MIDI violins... where the sound produced when you play doesn't sound like a violin but of vocals or Darth Vader or whatever you program it to play.

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2005 18:15      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
I've heard of MIDI violins... where the sound produced when you play doesn't sound like a violin but of vocals or Darth Vader or whatever you program it to play.

Umm, sort of. Have you come across MIDI in general before? Basically, it's sort of like sheet music in digital format, it records what notes are played, how long, etc, etc. Whatever you use to play back the MIDI file has the responsibility of what it sounds like. If you want realistic sounding instruments (especially things like piano and violin which are hard to get right), then you have to store actual recordings of a piano and a violin playing notes at a range of frequencies (called samples), and then calculate what a given note will sound like when asked to play it. I've heard some good things about timidity, which is an open source MIDI player. If you're into music, it's fun stuff to play around with.

/has a MIDI keyboard at home
//but no sound card with MIDI input in my PC, at present [Frown]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture