homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Prom Sucked: Read this and Feel Special

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Prom Sucked: Read this and Feel Special
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted April 03, 2005 22:09      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well, the subject of this post basically sums up what I'm about to say, but...

I had originally planned to go stag to prom. No commitment, right? I can eat where I want, dance with whoever I so please, go to whichever after party best appeals to my taste. The only reason I asked the girl that I did was because her friends, my friends, and my pre-calc teacher all told me to. Remember this piece of information.

So I get my tux, my tri-cornered hat, and my frilly french shirt (we had a pirate theme this year) and get dressed up. I leave to meet my date and her friends, with whom I was going to dinner, and end up getting lost in suburbia hell. I get there, and to my surprise, everybody's parents are there. Not a big deal, except that I had asked my date who all would be there and she hadn't mentioned parents, and my parents had so badly wanted pictures. Alright, i'm thinking to myself, it will get better.

Wrong.

We go to this one restaurant (Jakers, for anybody familiar with the Missoula, MT area) and order our food. Conversation lagged because I was the odd-man out; all the other girls had brought their boyfriends, so they were all part of the group. Dinner started at 17:30; the retard who scheduled the Limo (which thankfully I didn't have to pay for) had them pick us up at 19:15. We were all done eating by 18:15.

So after walking to a gas station to buy gum, we rendezvous with the limo and make it back to the school in time for pictures, an hour before the dance actually started.
We all got pictures without any major mishaps, and we went outside and stood around for a while.

This is where it gets interesting.

My date and the other six people in our group decide that they're bored, and want to go for a drive in one of the other guy's car. Oh, but wait, we only have enough room for seven (there were eight of us, all told)! looks like pat (that's me) is just gonna have to toughen up and entertain himself for an hour while his date abandons him! Luckily, my friend and his date were there, and were just getting ready to go for a cruise to kill time before the dance started. After asking my date if she wanted to come hang out with me and my friend and his date (and being denied), I got in the car and actually enjoyed my company for the first time in three hours.

Grand march was uneventful, the music sucked, the decorations were decent (I should know; i helped set up), and I basically didn't talk to my date after grand march. I ended up not dancing with anybody, but tried to find this other girl whom I actually felt somewhat attracted to (we had gone to a previous formal dance together), met up with HER friend, found out that the friend was on probation and had to undergo a cocaine test immediately after prom (the friend is weird... druggie, emotionally insecure, eating-disorder kinda person, but I still have some faint hope that she'll pull out of that slump and become a better person).

so I left, went home, drank a beer and went to sleep.

Now I hope you all learn to feel lucky and special after reading this.

/rant

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2005 22:40      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. I feel your pain. Neither of the formals that I attended my senior year left good memories in my brain.

Advice to young (tall) women: If your date is shorter than you, beware. During the slow dances you will feel extremely uncomfortable if you think he's kinda scummy and he insists on using your bosom as a headrest. [Eek!] [Mad] [thumbsdown]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2005 00:07      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At my Jr/Sr Prom my date went home with her ex. [shake head]
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2005 00:27      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bibo:
At my Jr/Sr Prom my date went home with her ex. [shake head]

Well, that sucks.

It probably doesn't compare to the above stories, but I was a little miffed when the girl I (first) asked to the my Year 12 formal turned me down citing "better that we go as a group of friends rather than pairing up", then accepted an invitation from another guy a few days later.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
jordanv
Assimilated
Member # 3189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2005 00:36      Profile for jordanv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took a pretty blonde bimbo I had no interest in, and ignored her for the majority of the night.
Posts: 364 | From: a house (in Sydney) | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2005 05:50      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's this "prom" thing?

I had already dropped out out and was in a Job Corps when the time for prom came around.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2005 07:28      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to four proms. Two were good, one was really bad and another started out bad, but ended up decently.

Sophomore year a junior asked me. That was probably the best of the four because all my friends were there [they're all older, which is why I was there to begin with].

Junior year I took a [freshman] girl who I had been dating and who wasn't really talking to me for most of the night. Of course I worked my charm and fixed that little problem.

Senior year I took my girlfriend at the time [also a senior], but ended up in the bathroom for most of it because I was sick.

Freshman year of college the girl I was dating was a senior in high school, so I went with her. That was also a good one because some of my younger friends from high school were there, as well as some guys I graduated with who had younger girlfriends.

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2005 08:06      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll share my Prom story...

I was on Prom Committee, the whole shebang. I had the tickets, seats with people I was somewhat friendly with but had agreed to sit with because my date's sister was in my graduating class and therefore also among the group, bought a dress I loved, and that's saying a lot...

And I walk into class one morning and the date's sister turns to me to ask "So who are you going to the Prom with?" Good thing it was Driver's Ed and we were only on the simulators that day. Turns out the date decided to enlist in the Navy and from cowardice had not told me. His ship-out date was a week before the Prom.

I frantically called a friend that I had dated briefly but who had graduated from my school two years earlier, and without much convincing on my part, he said he'd take me. I started to get excited about the Prom again...

Night of the Prom comes... Replacement date borrowed his Dad's car (nicer than his), gave me a corsage of my favorite flowers when he arrived... seemed to be enjoying himself. The dress turned this glasses-wearing geeky duckling into a swan. Even I thought I looked gorgeous. Our Auto Shop teacher had to look twice to recognize me, with replacement date exclaiming "She's got a great set of legs too!" I thought it was going to be a great evening...

I lost replacement date for over an hour at the Prom. Snuck off with another girl, who I couldn't stand and who had a bit of a reputation (I was convinced she had tried to steal away another guy I had dated, which replacement date knew about). At least replacement date was around when the table was deciding who to nominate for Prom Queen, and wanted to nominate me, even if the table decided to enter first date's sister...

Had a good enough time the rest of the night. I danced with who I wanted to, hung out with friends at other tables, etc. It all lasted until two teachers I was close to came up to me later to ask why I hadn't been nominated by my table for Prom Queen (the teachers voted from among the nominees). The teachers had decided in advance to vote for me but I wasn't one of the choices.

Is it any wonder why we look back on high school with a mixture of regret and relief once it's over?

Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
maia
Alpha Geek
Member # 3778

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2005 09:24      Profile for maia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like CommanderShroom, I had also dropped out long before prom came along. I did, however, go to "prom" with my best friend at her alternative high school center. For some reason, both of us fell pray to the idea that life would be somehow incomplete without going to one. Somewhere amid the terrible R&B and rap music and the teenage mothers who had brought their screaming children, we actually managed to have a good time.

--------------------
Nothing is too petty to be thoroughly discussed.

Posts: 316 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted April 04, 2005 10:24      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I ever say these are the best years of my life ... please shoot me, please.

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2005 11:16      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could say with some authority conferred by age and experience that these are the best years of your life, TCTQ, but that would really be a downer, wouldn't it?

Just remember everything is relative. At one time, I worried about my Prom, now I'm worrying about my son's Prom.

BTW, the kidling hasn't decided if he's going to the Junior Formal yet, because he has "no one to go with." I suggested he find out if his buddies are going and just hang out with them. We'll see, but I won't be surprised if he doesn't go. He's just not that into socializing.

Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted April 04, 2005 14:05      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to prom with my 26 y/o boyfriend. We went to supper at a steakhouse, got to prom the minute it started, had our pictures taken, got our collector glasses. Then we left and went to stay with friends, drank heavily, and got up early the next morning to go to a car show. In retrospect, I could have saved the $50 and not bothered at all, though I suppose it was one of those high school rituals not to be missed.

I still hated high school in general....

Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
n4dmx
Geek
Member # 3177

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2005 14:54      Profile for n4dmx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went with three of my friends, and we stayed about ten minutes. We took the opportunity to TP the principal's house while he and his wife were busy attempting to dance. [Big Grin]

It was in the newspaper the next day. Yes, I live in an extremely small town...

Posts: 218 | From: Georgia | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted April 04, 2005 15:45      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I lucked out through HS. Had a bump when my date at my very
first dance wasn't feeling well and I took her home after a half
hour. Next week she was going out with a senior! (us being freshmen...).

The rest of the events were always a group of friends
but with each guy asking a specific girl. Many of us were also co-
workers so there were no real suprises. One year I went with my
boss, the next with her younger sister! Despite some snide
remarks buy the mother about the next younger daughter being
only six, (I think she would have prefered her daughters having
'real' boyfriends) a good time was had by all. Best of all we all
could still look at each other the next day!

BTW did anyone else look at the topic and think is said "Pr0n sucked..."

No? Er, well... nevermind. [ohwell]

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted April 04, 2005 20:26      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, at least I don't feel so isolated in the world of sucky proms.

If only the music were better (it was all rap... they only played 'billy jean' once!) were better, i might actually have danced with someone. as it stands, however, i have deeply ingrained moral issues against grinding with someone I don't know.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2005 20:38      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well nerdwithonlinefriends, I will honestly say that even though high school stunk for me. I do wish I had gone to my prom and also had a chance to gradjiate. [Wink] So be glad that you went. You had the experience. Even if it wasn't great, you tried it.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2005 20:41      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would just like a quieter area this year - so people can float in and out between dancing & talking. Seriously. Not only is it usually loud enough to cause permanent hearing loss, but it is impossible to talk, especially given that it's too dark to lipread easily.

I mean, if I (with severe to profound hearing loss) can hear the music at the edge of the dance floor with my hearing aids out ... it's too damn loud.

OTOH, maybe I'm not supposed to analyze it too much - it's just prom, right?

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
SilverBlade
Alpha Geek
Member # 3541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2005 01:58      Profile for SilverBlade   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahhh prom... I had one, and one was cancelled durinbecause of "SARS" (anybody familiar with that epidemic a couple of years ago in Hong Kong?).

Funnily enough, the interesting one was the cancelled one. I was friends with a guy who was an incredibly bright, but socially inept. We had previously made a deal with each other that if we had not gotten a date a few weeks before the prom, we would go together, but we were not allowed to tell anybody about the deal (incase of jepardizing the chances of finding someone!). It turned out that he DID tell people, and I had gotten really huffed.

Then, another guy (who had fancied me for ages, apparently) then heard about the deal. He went up to me and asked, "So if you are not asked to the prom, you are going out with him?" When I nodded, he replied, "Then... will you accompany me to the prom?"

Amazing. I was cheering and jumping! ... oh well, the prom was cancelled anyway! The next one is in a month's time, and I am going with Brother_Dysk. [Razz]

--------------------
http://www.silver-blade.net

Posts: 303 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2005 07:21      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never went to a dance in HS.
I asked Ronnie to a dance. One of those where the girl is "allowed" to ask the guy. I did it only after his cousin and my best friend vetted out that he would say yes.
So it was a big suprise when he told me no in front of the entire guitar choir at church including my arch enemy.
I went home and cried and cried. My brothers were so sweet. They talked to me through my door and offered to kill him.
I did get the last laugh. Ronnie is now bald. My arch enemy got pregnant in our senior year, which was a big scandal at the time. Neither left our home town. So those of you hating HS, just remember geeks often have that last laugh.

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2005 09:17      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never went to my prom -- I was kicked out of highschool 3 months before it would have happened. (non-attendance, not anything fun, sorry.)
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Geordie

Member # 996

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted April 06, 2005 08:47      Profile for Geordie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was shy geek and did not go to my own prom, but sat at home reading Science Fiction. Fifteen years later, my girlfriend teaches at a high school and I go every year... it's true those were the best years of my life [Wink]

--------------------
Geordie

Posts: 322 | From: Fairfax Station, VA, USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2005 12:51      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SilverBlade:
Ahhh prom... I had one, and one was cancelled durinbecause of "SARS" (anybody familiar with that epidemic a couple of years ago in Hong Kong?).

Oh yeah...SARS...I remember that all too well. That was a pretty decent concern about that over here (in NY). Also, at the time, I was going out with a Chinese girl from the city, and she was really quite afraid then, as a restaurant near her had been closed due to a cook being infected. Those were not fun times. Naturally, they must have been a lot worse over there. :-/

My prom? That was a relatively uneventful thing - I actually went to my prom, with a good friend of mine. [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2005 13:14      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to prom with a close friend. It wasn't great, but it didn't suck either.

I remember SARS. I went to college at a school right across the lake from Toronto, and there were enough SARS cases in Toronto that people were afraid it would come to us, so us medics had to wear HEPA masks to ALL respiratory distress calls. The annoying thing is, not only was SARS not the easiest thing in the world to catch, but it wasn't quite as deadly as the press wanted you to think. But hey, it was something to be afraid of so it was all over the news. :/

I went through Canada on my way to Europe the summer of 2003. They were still screening people for SARS and they gave me an info sheet I had to hold onto for ten days after my three hour layover in Toronto. Once the customs agent got that bit of bureaucracy out of the way she started grilling me on Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, which I had in my hands as reading material. I hope I didn't spoil it for her.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2005 13:18      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmmm. I graduated in '84. I was in a heavy metal band at the time so it wasn't really our thing, we all brought our girl friends and went to a huge bush party afterwards. Lots of fun!! A couple hundred drunk and high teenagers, loud music, moshing, unprotected sex.....good times, good times.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture