homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Tuba Time Warp (and other Tales from the Daylight Saving Time Crypt)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tuba Time Warp (and other Tales from the Daylight Saving Time Crypt)
Tech Angel
Alpha Geek
Member # 908

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2005 03:26      Profile for Tech Angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Given that most of us in the U.S. switched to Daylight Saving Time (DST) overnight, I thought you might find this bit of trivia interesting.

As you probably know, not all states move the clocks ahead an hour -- Arizona, Hawaii, and parts of Indiana remain on Standard Time. Knowing "what time is it?" in Arizona, though, can get pretty complicated depending on where you are. I used to work throughout northern Arizona and had to deal regularly with circumstances like the following.

The Navajo Nation, located primarily in the northeast part of the state, also stretches into New Mexico and Utah. Since those states do observe DST, the Navajo Nation does, too. The Hopi Nation, however, remains on Standard Time like the rest of AZ -- but it lies totally encompassed by the Navajo Nation. This creates some pretty unusual situations. If you were to drive from Gallup, New Mexico (near the AZ border) through Page, AZ (just south of the Utah border) into Utah, there is a route -- I've traveled it -- by which you would technically have to change your watch six times in the space of seven hours as you went back and forth from Mountain Daylight Time to Mountain Standard Time to MDT, again and again.

And it gets more complex... Though technically within the Navajo Nation, part of Tuba City, AZ follows Hopi Nation (Standard) time. Thus you can have kids waiting for a school bus at 7 AM on one side of the highway while kids on the other side are waiting for the same school bus at 8 AM. I was told that locals refer to this phenomenon as the "Tuba Time Warp". Whenever I had to work in Tuba City, I would stay at the Quality Inn which was in the Daylight Saving Time part of town. But since the local headquarters for this chain is in Flagstaff, AZ, they decided to remain on Standard Time. Thus, you could leave the Inn at noon to grab some lunch, and by merely walking across the street to the MacDonald's, your lunch hour was already over. [Confused] The Quality Inn actually maintained a bank of clocks behind the front desk showing what time it was in various parts of this very small city. It looked like the Stock Exchange, but instead of having signs saying Paris and Tokyo, the clocks were labeled with things like Hospital and Elementary School.

Anyway, I just noticed that my Mac dutifully changed from 1:59 AM to 3:00 AM, so I guess I'd better shutdown for the night and get an hour's less sleep... [tired]

--------------------
We must be the change we want to see in the world. -Mahatma Ghandi

Posts: 330 | From: the Great State of Confusion | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ivan
Alpha Geek
Member # 2622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2005 08:30      Profile for Ivan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ow. Put it away. [crazy] [Razz]
Posts: 269 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
n4dmx
Geek
Member # 3177

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2005 12:00      Profile for n4dmx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This explains what you put as your location in your profile. [Razz]
Posts: 218 | From: Georgia | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2005 13:37      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Food for thought of the day: The number of car accidents in the day after the clocks go ahead jumps up because of the lost hour of sleep.

The number of car accidents the day ater the clocks go back dips because of the gained hour of sleep.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tech Angel
Alpha Geek
Member # 908

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2005 13:59      Profile for Tech Angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by n4dmx:
This explains what you put as your location in your profile. [Razz]

Actually, that refers to my current state of residence - California - you know, the place where the voting public gets confused differentiating between "people with skills to govern" and "characters in Hollywood movies". [ohwell]

--------------------
We must be the change we want to see in the world. -Mahatma Ghandi

Posts: 330 | From: the Great State of Confusion | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2005 14:04      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite DST time-warp happened back when I was in college and volunteering for the campus rescue team. We got a call for an attempted suicide. The patient's friend had called 911, so an ambulance was already on the way, but we were dispatched as well. This was good because the patient was not in a very good mood and very unhappy to see us, especially since at least one of the members of my crew knew the patient, and since the ambulance showed up two seconds after we did, we could just step back and let the paramedics handle our suicidal and cranky patient (Can we take your pulse? No. Please? Fsck off. I'm sorry we can't do that...). What was not so good was the fact that this call overlapped the time change, so on paper it looked like we'd spent an hour on scene with a patient who, on account of the ungodly amount of pills they'd swallowed, really needed to go to the hospital right away. Needless to say, we had to explain that in our paperwork. :/

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture