homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Buying Books (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Buying Books
Luke Skywalker
Assimilated
Member # 3096

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2005 13:31      Profile for Luke Skywalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yesterday I got an email that Borders is having a 2for3 sale on Star Wars books. I, today, bought 9.

This is the most books Ive bought in one setting. And still only spent less than $50. And I buy ALOT of books.

So, whats the most youve spent on books, and how many have you bought at once?

--------------------
Use the Force, Luke.

Posts: 406 | From: The Line Between Time and Space | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
i_need_a_pillow
Geek
Member # 2765

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2005 15:07      Profile for i_need_a_pillow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got back into the whole reading thing; a few days ago was probably my largest book purchase (my parents have bought more books (for more money) at once, I'm sure, but this is my biggest).

Technically, it was two purchases (wanted to finish off a Waldenbooks gift card, but I prefer Barnes and Noble), but I consider them as one here because I made them within a few hours of each other.

Waldenbooks:
The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer
Total: $10.66

Barnes & Noble:
Doctor Faustus by Christopher Marlowe
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon
John Donne: The Major Works (published by Oxford University)
an issue of 2600: The Hacker Quarterly
Total: $37.31

Total spent: $47.97 on four books and a magazine

--------------------
The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.

Posts: 104 | From: I'm here. Where else? | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2005 17:48      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The most I've spent (excluding textbooks) is about $50 for two books about pregnancy and childbirth. The most books I've bought at once is probably around 100. Once in junior high (or maybe my freshman year, I don't remember) we stopped at a garage sale that had paperbacks for a nickel. I didn't even stop to see what the books were about. Anything with an interesting title, cover, or author went into a bag. We took home a giant box full for $5. [Big Grin]

That was one of the happiest days of my life.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2005 21:28      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most I ever spent at once on books was upwards of $300. Textbooks don't come cheap and if your instructor wants you to buy a whole "study pack" (book + study guide + solution manual) your wallet is getting ass-raped. One of the beautiful things about grad school is we don't use textbooks at all - it's all paper-based and our advisers pay for printing. The one book I did need for a one credit ethics class they made me take the department provided. I shit you not. They bought the books and distributed them in class. And the books for the classes I TAed were simply handed to me as well. Light at the end of the tunnel, I guess.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
jordanv
Assimilated
Member # 3189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2005 22:53      Profile for jordanv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The most i've spent in one sitting non-textbooks is ~ $300 US - philosophy, history, and political science works don't come cheap.

I probably spend about $AUD 2000 a year on books.

Note : read I as my parents, who view books as a necessary living expense.

When I retire I intend to establish a public library of the social sciences.

Posts: 364 | From: a house (in Sydney) | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ivan
Alpha Geek
Member # 2622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2005 07:35      Profile for Ivan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The most I've spent is around $125.

I got a couple of books by Dumas, 3 by Dickens (wooh, Great Expectations, despite what anyone in my school says about it), The first 7 or so of the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordon, and the Salmon of Doubt a compilation of some of Douglas Adams's work.

Posts: 269 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2005 07:41      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honestly the most I have ever spent on books would be about $30 us. But where I live there is at least 5 used book stores. So whenever I have a need for another book that's where I go.

I will even trade in the one's I don't like at those same places. There was a time I had a sci-fi collection that filled boxes. But I was moving around so much that I had to lighten my load.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2005 08:22      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, non textbooks, huh. I think I bought an AU $100 Java book once, that was probably my most expensive single book purchase. Mind you, my workplace at the time paid for all my Uni textbooks, and some sizeable bills arose from that.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted April 03, 2005 12:03      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The most I've spent was when Nitrozac and I bought a crate of JoT books to sell on our site. [Big Grin]

Which reminds me... I need to buy more!

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2005 12:33      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I generally spend at least $50US every time I even step in to Barnes & Noble. If I go in looking for one thing, I end up leaving with 3 or more.

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tech Angel
Alpha Geek
Member # 908

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2005 00:40      Profile for Tech Angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure this applies, but... In the early 90's, I wrote, illustrated, and self-published a book on assistive technology. About 400 pages long, it wasn't exactly on the New York Times Bestseller list, so I had batches printed 30, 40, or 50 at a time depending on the number of orders I had. The cost for printing, holepunching, and insertion of a nice coil binding, plus front and back color laminated covers, came to about $30 per book, so when I picked up a batch of 50 one time, I paid roughly $1500.

For gift-giving, I know I've bought around $150 for books through a single online order to Amazon.com or Barnes & Noble.

On a related but embarrassing note, I purchased two audiobooks through Audible.com in December and, on a whim, signed up for their Premium service which gives you credits for two audiobooks each month. The kicker is, unused credits don't roll over to the next month. Well, I forgot about my subscription until this week and realize that, in effect, I purchased my two audiobooks at a cost of $88. [Eek!] If I use my current 2 credits I can bring that down to 4 for $88 -- still expensive. [ohwell] Anyone have recommendations for good audiobooks?

--------------------
We must be the change we want to see in the world. -Mahatma Ghandi

Posts: 330 | From: the Great State of Confusion | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2005 07:40      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Luke, pick up any New Jedi Order books, by chance? [Wink] Let's just say I'm asking from professional curiosity.

Most I've spent on books at one visit to the book store was probably in the $50 (US) range. However, since like AngryJung I can't go in and not spend money, every visit is a little more on the grand total even if the individual purchase isn't much. I definitely get my money's worth out of the B & N Reader's Advantage membership.

Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2005 09:24      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grey_girl:
Luke, pick up any New Jedi Order books, by chance? [Wink] Let's just say I'm asking from professional curiosity.

I'm not Luke, but I bought one NJO book (Vector Prime) at a discount bookstore to see if they were OK (I'd only read the novels from IV, V and VI). I was so impressed that I'll definitely pick up any others I found (only paid circa $6 AU for it new).

Possible threadjack: Is there any canononical answer to whether use of dark force powers by Jedi is always wrong, especially since Luke uses choke (briefly) in ROTJ?

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

David Rogers
Mini Geek
Member # 1373

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2005 09:38      Profile for David Rogers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The most that I have spent at one time on books, outside of textbooks for classes, was about $300. I picked up "The Art of Computer Programming" by Donald Knuth, that red leather bound edition of The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, and a number of paperbacks from authors that I wanted to catch up on. Of course, I had just gotten my tax return and had money to burn. Normally I have to make that kind of money stretch over 5 or 6 months where books buying is concerned.

I did spent over $600 one semester on books.

--------------------
David Rogers

Posts: 66 | From: Champaign IL USA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
toobe

Member # 3783

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2005 10:20      Profile for toobe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Text books notwithstanding... the most I've spent is about $150 CDN. But I buy mostly used books, and you can get a /lot/ of books for $150.

Fortunately, since discovering Bookcrossing, my wallet assaults have been far fewer!

--------------------
Studies show reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it.

Posts: 175 | From: Victoria, BC | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2005 15:16      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:

Possible threadjack: Is there any canononical answer to whether use of dark force powers by Jedi is always wrong, especially since Luke uses choke (briefly) in ROTJ?

You have to remember what is considered canon is an open argument. Some would include the books, comics and videogames, some wouldn't.

Sticking to a strict interpretation of canon and excepting Revenge of the Sith (since the movie isn't out and the novel just hit the stores), there is nothing that I know of that specifically states certain powers are of the Dark or Light sides. However, there are traditions which seem to dictate what is Light and what is Dark, I suppose you could say. It would appear that Jedi (Light) do not use Force Choke or Force Lightning. It's been a while since I sat down and watched RotJ, so could you give me the context?

So who bought the Revenge of the Sith novelization over the weekend? Hmmm? Matthew Stover just rocks (Traitor blew me away). I wish I weren't going to be out of town when he's here for a book signing.

TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2005 16:05      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I suppose you could say. It would appear that Jedi (Light) do not use Force Choke or Force Lightning. It's been a while since I sat down and watched RotJ, so could you give me the context?

IIRC, it is toward the beginning of the movie when he is trying to get into Jabba's palace. A couple of guards cross their spears in front of him and he gets them out of his way by briefly choking them. They go against the wall, the spears are dropped, and he moves on.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2005 16:19      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As Grey_girl said, what is canon seems to be disputed, however ... in "The Courtship of Princess Leia" by Dave Wolverton, this is covered. TCoPL seems to be canon-esque - or at least recognized as such by Lucas, which may not be the same thing.

The planet of Dathomir, where TCoPL takes place, is home to "witches" - women who have limited Force powers but have an understanding of it that would be more fantasy/magic-esque from the reader's point of view. Anyway, there are the traditional clans, and the sisters of those clans who have fallen to the dark side; they are required to live in isolation for 7 years to purify themselves, and then may return, but most choose to remain in the dark side and join a group of dark side witches.

Getting to the point: one witch tells Luke about this, then says something to the effect of, "I'm not sure which spells are evil and which are not". He replies that it's not the spells themselves (or, as we understand it, the actions) that are dark or light, but the intent to which they are used and the emotions you feel when you use them.

I originally was going to paste the text from Amazon, but TCoPL seems to be one of those books that isn't searchable yet. Bummer.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2005 16:35      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The most I have spent in one purchase, is somewhere around $180. Several O'Reilly, and other technical books.

Overall bookspending though? hmm, probably somewhere in the neighborhood of ~$80/month. I, like GG and ajm, have a difficult time leaving a bookstore without more than I originally intended to purchase.

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Luke Skywalker
Assimilated
Member # 3096

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2005 18:02      Profile for Luke Skywalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To whom ever asked on the New Jedi Order books, yes, most of them were (like 7). Im tring to finish that series. Almost did too. Im only missing 3 books. 1 Ive read so no big deal, but I plan on getting all three eventually. Only reason I dont have them yet is that they are really hard to find. With the purchase of them, Im missing exactly 3 books to make every book written that takes place between ROTJ and The
New Jedi Order. Seriously. Plus I have all the books that take place like directly before ANH (Han Solo&Lando Calrissian Trilogies). So I now shall begin on getting books that take place before, during, and after Ep I, II, and III. 2 of the books I got in the 9, were in this.

Ok, on the subject of force powers. Yes Luke in ROTJ did a force choke. In the book of ROTJ (not the movie) he repels the Emperor's force lightning. Its also said along with Yoda repeling Force lightning in EP II that this is a dark side power (see Laberinth of Evil book) but that you can use them with minimal damage to oneself (force-wise). Its also said by Yoda that 'darkness is in us all', which belives that all force powers can be used by all, but it depends on how they are used and how often that affect which side of the force you turn with.

BTW, I didnt get Ep III. I swore not to read it till after I see the movie. I did look at one of the technical dictionaries for it though. But they dont revale too much anyway.

--------------------
Use the Force, Luke.

Posts: 406 | From: The Line Between Time and Space | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2005 18:12      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I partially escaped the bookstore gouging tactics by borrowing as many textbooks as possible from the campus library. [Smile]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2005 17:57      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I spent $275 for The Art of Florence, but that was on sale. gulp

If you like books and are looking for older titles or a bargain. I highly recommend using Book Finder It is a consortium of used and other bookstores. You search all of their stock with one engine. You can find things you have been looking for forever there. I have always found the descriptions of used books to be pretty accurate in terms of the condition of the book.

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2005 10:21      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Magefile, generally speaking, as far as George is concerned, the books aren't canon. He's aware of things that transpire in the books and approves of the big events (like Chewie's death), but he does not feel bound to them. This is despite his eloquent argument in the Introduction to Splinter of the Mind's Eye where he says there are other stories to be told, by other authors. Many people were surprised when he used Tim Zahn's "Coruscant" as the official name of the planet. I believe though that those books, the fans who followed them kept interest in the series going during the long time between the Original Trilogy and the Prequels, so they should be properly noted. I know I wouldn't still be a fan if it hadn't been for the books, and I know I wouldn't have wound up working for the Ranch without them.

Personally, I have always followed the "intent" argument myself, when deciding if something is light or dark. If you think about it, Qui-Gon lied (as did Yoda and Obi-Wan) and cheated Watto at dice. Those weren't dark side actions, but they weren't exactly honest either. As for Luke using a Force Choke, thanks for the reminder. In his case, it should be mentioned that unlike Dear Old Dad, Luke released the effected person after he was admitted to Jabba's Palace. Dad used the same power to kill, and on a whim at that.

LS, thanks for the heads up on Labyrinth of Evil. I haven't read that yet because I was too busy. I'll have to make time for it, it seems.

Luke Skywalker
Assimilated
Member # 3096

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2005 17:46      Profile for Luke Skywalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, To any and all,I definatly recommend reading Labyrinth of Evil before seeing/reading EpIII.

I never heard that about Coruscant. But on thinking, it makes sense.

To the other points, very well put. You must remember also, Lucas also approves all StarWars books before they are published so that they dont bind him to a story, or screw something up for him later. Plus he hasnt allowed somethings to be published, like any books on the Emperor Reborn (suspected to be a possible set for EPs 7-9 if ever made).

--------------------
Use the Force, Luke.

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2005 18:48      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Personally, I have always followed the "intent" argument myself, when deciding if something is light or dark. If you think about it, Qui-Gon lied (as did Yoda and Obi-Wan) and cheated Watto at dice. Those weren't dark side actions, but they weren't exactly honest either. As for Luke using a Force Choke, thanks for the reminder. In his case, it should be mentioned that unlike Dear Old Dad, Luke released the effected person after he was admitted to Jabba's Palace. Dad used the same power to kill, and on a whim at that.

Yep, makes sense to me too. In fact, that seems to be the philosophy of the computer games (eg Jedi Academy), which allow Jedi to learn dark side powers. It's probably not right to have as much fun using force grip(ie choke) to toss stormtroopers off ledges as one does, though [Wink]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture