homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » What's in YOUR wallet or purse? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What's in YOUR wallet or purse?
Ivan
Alpha Geek
Member # 2622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2005 08:28      Profile for Ivan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wallet?! Pah, money clips are the way to go.

In the clip:
-1 whole 1 dollar bill
-2 Forsyth County Library cards
-Northwest Regional Library card
-Mount Airy Library card
-U.S. Chess Federation Membership card
-High School I.D. card
-N.C. Learner's Permit, complete with microscopic signature
-reciept for Hon U.S. History field trip to the Monticello

Right Pocket
-3 dimes
-3 nickels
-Blue pen
-Black pen
-2 .5mm mechanical pencils
-2 1 dollar bills (my lunch money)
-Contacts case
-Cell phone
-Caribiner with 2 L.E.D. lights, binder clip, paperclip, house key(s), and car key

Left Pocket
-Tin of Penguin Mints
-Money Clip
-Tube of .5mm lead for aforementioned pencils

Right Cargo Pocket
- Ti-84 Plus Silver Edition (I make games for it to relieve boredom)

Left Cargo Pocket
- Crossroads of Twilight -Robert Jordan (book ten of the Wheel of Time)

Pouch on my hoodie (when applicable)
- Pencils
- Pens
- Calculator
- CD player (with the headphones fed through the hole near the seams that always seem to show up on my hoodies. Perhaps because I have so much stuff in there. *shrug*

Posts: 269 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2005 13:30      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tut-an-Geek:

I can't believe that no one else here has a sheet with their SSH fingerprints in their wallet! What has this board come to?

Mine are stored on my mp3 player.. does that count? [Smile]

I also forgot to mention that my donor card is in my wallet that says if I get run over by a bus, any parts of mine that still work can be donated to anyone who needs them.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2005 17:50      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fear not, Tut, there is a little card in my card holder with such information on it. ; I just didn't feel the need to cite it before.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2005 19:47      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Demosthenes:
quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:
-a card my friend gave me that says simply "Your Hair is Gorgeous"

These're put out by Looney Labs, and tend to make the rounds an awful lot at sci fi cons. I tore mine up when I shaved my head. [Big Grin]
Hey, why isn't my hair on there? Oh wait, it's up all the time...

I used to carry around a purse, but it got to be too cumbersome, so the various pockets of my bookbag serve as a purse. So here are the contents of my bookbag that would normally fit in a purse:
  • Keys
  • TI-83
  • Celliephone (an LG flippy phone)
  • Cheap plastic comb
  • Pens
  • Dry-erase marker
  • TI-83 connector cable
  • 3 dimes
  • An AA battery?

AND...in my wallet, I have:

• $$$
  • License
  • School ID
  • Metro Card (just got back from NYC)
  • Hollywood Video rental card

etc.

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2005 21:28      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, to stay true to the original intent of the thread, I won't mention all the common things I carry...so, on to the novelties.

I have a miniature (about 3 high, 1.5 inches wide) copy of Prelude, Op. 28, No. 4: Insensatez by Frederich Chopin in the little window area of my wallet.

I miniaturized it before a piano recital about five years ago to create the illusion that I had memorized the music. I had actually memorized the other two pieces of music I played, but didn't want to bring sheet music on the stage. Instead, I had this little piece of paper, only slightly larger than a business card. The notes are all perfectly legible, and a few people who I told about it afterward said they had no idea I had any music.

I still carry it and it can be an interesting conversation starter if someone happens to see that little sheet of music in that little window inside my wallet...

Aside from that, I carry a 28 piece lock pick set in my briefcase... [Big Grin]

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2005 07:51      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only unusual thing I keep in my wallet is a note that my first girlfriend wrote me about a year after she dumped me. It basically says how wonderful a person and boyfriend I was and that she shouldn't have broken up with me.

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2005 08:09      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your fiancee is okay with this?
I have the Dear John letter my psycho ex wrote me, but I don't carry it around. It is intereesting to pull it out and look at it as proof that no matter how far we advance in terms of gender equality and the education of women, there's always a few left in the dust (I basically got dumped for, among other things, wishing to pursue a PhD).

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2005 08:41      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:

She doesn't know about it. I had completely forgotten about it until I looked through my wallet for something to post in this thread. It's been in there for ten years....

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted April 04, 2005 08:57      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
don't mind me... I'm just attempting to fix Disappearing Thread Starter Syndrome.
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted April 04, 2005 09:10      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My wallet has:

-2 driver's licenses (whoops! that comes from losing one, getting it replaced, and then finding the old one again. Can you get in trouble for that?)
-discount card for Backpacker outfitters
-USA Triathlon membership card
-2 rocking climbing gym membership cards
-3 different library cards
-Oh neat! a full Subward card! (free sandwich!!)
-I am a dyslexic borg card
-debit cards
-friends' business cards
-video cards
-a cheesy card-sized mini diploma!
-$1.01

Wow I really ought to clean some of that out..

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
toobe

Member # 3783

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2005 10:51      Profile for toobe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lessee... on any given day I carry around:
left pocket
  • pen
  • cell phone
  • ipod shuffle (1Gig)
  • hemp chap stick

right pocket
  • keys
  • coins
  • paperclip
  • carabiner

back pocket
  • various bits of paper with scribbled notes/code/diagrams/plans
  • torn out pages from the bus sched
  • pda

wallet
  • bus pass
  • ID
  • bank card
  • business cards
  • cash (never mind how much)
  • stamps
  • list of master passwords... jic

I'll spare you the list of my backpack's contents. This list was boring enough!

--------------------
Studies show reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it.

Posts: 175 | From: Victoria, BC | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2005 11:25      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's like that game, where the starter says something like "In my suitcase there is an apple", then the next has to say "In my suitcase there is an apple and a frog" and so on, with people adding more and more things. Or maybe I'm the only one who thought of that?

Anyway, in my wallet there is:
* A swipe and a non-swipe contactless access card for different university buildings
* Swipe card to get me into my accomodation
* Two debit cards (resisting the lure of a credit card for as long as possible)
* NUS card and Young Persons Railcard - discounts!
* ID so I can be served drinks
* Couple of library cards
* Couple of gym cards
* A MedicAlert card
* A "Real Authorised Pope" card - gotta love RAW fans [Smile]
* Monies!

And as for the rest of my pockets:
* Phone
* Keys
* Penknife (when doing geology, otherwise it's illegal to carry one [Roll Eyes] )
* Zen Touch (sometimes)
* Camera (sometimes)
* Palm (sometimes)
* Mechanical pencil - you can always find a use for one

Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2005 12:41      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a backpack that started out life as a purse ... NO, IT'S NOT A PURSE, DAMMIT! I'M PROUD OF MY MASCULINITY, IF SOMEWHAT INSECURE! [Roll Eyes]

Anyway, it contains, among other things:
TI-83+ (battery panel held on with duct tape ...)
Keychain razor blade
Ulu (a bit like this one)
3 different sizes of lead (.3, .5 and .7), even though I only have .5 pencils
a (really) stale Listerine strips thingy
my Golden Access "Passport" and my union/guild card

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2005 12:53      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
I have the Dear John letter my psycho ex wrote me, but I don't carry it around. It is intereesting to pull it out and look at it as proof that no matter how far we advance in terms of gender equality and the education of women, there's always a few left in the dust (I basically got dumped for, among other things, wishing to pursue a PhD).

I'd be all like, "WOO HOO IM GONNA HAVE A SUGAR MAMA!" [Big Grin]
quote:
Originally posted by MTB Babe:
My wallet has:

-2 driver's licenses (whoops! that comes from losing one, getting it replaced, and then finding the old one again. Can you get in trouble for that?)

Here in Ontario you can -- I'm not sure about where you are, though. I'd imagine most places you could.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2005 13:29      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In California the first license is invalid as soon as you apply for a duplicate. You are expected to destroy the original if you find it.

I've stopped carrying a purse so I don't have anything interesting that I carry with me. Maybe a few ticket stubs or fortunes from cookies. Probably the most interesting thing in my wallet is a picture of my brother and I when I was about 8 years old. He was so cute and fun then. I wonder what happened? [Razz]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
suttsteve
Maximum Newbie
Member # 3448

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2005 13:43      Profile for suttsteve   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Five one-dollar bills, my driver's license and several little cards that I have absolutely no use for.
Posts: 15 | From: Springfield, GA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alephcat
Alpha Geek
Member # 2617

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2005 14:43      Profile for Alephcat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
in pockets:
phone
victorinox cybertool
keys for home and work with 2 attached swissarmy knives
wallet

in wallet (currently):
debit card
phone topup card
MVC reward card
NI numbercard
stickers from HIM concert
RJ45 plug wireing instructions
COOP dividend card
game reward card
£20 note
assorted change

not that exciting I have to admit, but I like to travel light

--------------------
"You have the right to search in silence. If you give up the right to search in silence, anything you say can and will be modded down in a court of public opinion."

Posts: 300 | From: Chester | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted April 04, 2005 19:05      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This thread has (technically) gone all weird, so I've locked it and started a continuation here. Sorry for the inconvenience. [Geek]
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture