homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » It's Here...but what a process

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: It's Here...but what a process
Groggle
Mini Geek
Member # 2360

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 25, 2005 11:59      Profile for Groggle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It took Apple nearly a month to fulfil the order, but the iBook I ordered last month finally arrived. This will be the first time I've used a Mac for any protracted period of time since the late '80s. (Not for the usual religious reasons, but rather I just wasn't willing to pay the premium that Apple was demanding back then)

I like the machine - or at least what I've used of it so far. (Of course, it's provoked a bunch of upgrades of my home network - if I'm going to pay for a wireless card, I'm going to use it - dammit! - so it becomes new hub time for my network)

So - lurking in this house of mine, is a full suite of O/Ses:

1 x Windows XP machine
2 x Linux (1 Debian, 1 Suse)
1 x MacOSX

- all happily co-existing at the moment.

Apple's order fulfilment on the other hand could do with a little refining. They kept scheduling the shipment about 5 days into the future due to "supply problems". Vague e-mails of that nature just frustrate me - and when I called to get some clarification, the call centre was obviously set up to avoid answering those kind of questions.

The second part of an order is delivery. Apple is using Day&Ross's "Sameday Right-o-Way" division to deliver machines in Canada. Compared to FedEx or Purolator, Day&Ross is painfully behind the curve. The shipment tracking they have is worse than Canada Post, and their delivery driver decided that "I wasn't home" so he took the box back to the warehouse in the morning. Considering I _was_ at home, and more frustratingly, he didn't leave a "we were here, but you weren't tag", I didn't find this gem out until late afternoon [Mad] . (I used to work in the courier industry - at one time, that kind of incompetence was a good way to get fired)

Apple makes great products, but they need to work on how they deliver those products to the consumer. (Trying to buy an iBook retail in Calgary is pretty much a lost cause - there's retailers, but they never seem to have stock) [ohwell]

Posts: 77 | From: Calgary | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted March 25, 2005 12:16      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats! [Smile]

Which one did you get? My Windows-using brother is now thinking about getting an iBook. [Eek!] whoa

Yeah, I hear you regarding Apple's less than perfect order fullfillment. They used that sneaky 5 days tactic when I ordered a GarageBand keyboard. [Mad]

oh well... if you're like me, all is forgiven as soon as the "new Apple smell" hits my nose. [Smile]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 25, 2005 12:28      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Groggle:
their delivery driver decided that "I wasn't home" so he took the box back to the warehouse in the morning. Considering I _was_ at home, and more frustratingly, he didn't leave a "we were here, but you weren't tag", I didn't find this gem out until late afternoon [Mad]

For years we never got any packages delivered by aussie post, we only ever got the "we called while you weren't home" tags, even when we were home all day.

quote:
(I used to work in the courier industry - at one time, that kind of incompetence was a good way to get fired)
Maybe that's what happened to the last postman^h^h^h^h^h^h^h outsourced highly-efficient-because-its-private-enterprise package-delivery-contractor, as we now actually get packages delivered again. [Smile]

/me is waiting patiently for Mrs Druid's iBook to arrive ....

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Groggle
Mini Geek
Member # 2360

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 25, 2005 12:49      Profile for Groggle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's the 12" iBook, 512Mb memory, and 60 Gb disk (Disk and memory are like paychecks - never big enough!)

I wanted the smaller form factor of the 12" specifically for mobility reasons (and I didn't see a lot of point in the 14" display - since the resolution is the same, and I have perfectly good eyes)

I suspect it was the upgrades that actually took the time.

I really do like the "look-and-feel" of the iBook - it has a feeling of robustness that the low-end Dells lack...

TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 25, 2005 12:50      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Groggle:
The shipment tracking they have is worse than Canada Post, and their delivery driver decided that "I wasn't home" so he took the box back to the warehouse in the morning. Considering I _was_ at home, and more frustratingly, he didn't leave a "we were here, but you weren't tag", I didn't find this gem out until late afternoon [Mad] .

I dealt with that kind of thing last year when I was waiting for my PS2. UPS left a note saying the package had been delivered to the office (I live in an apartment). I went to the office the next day and they didn't have anything. I got another note on my door a couple of days later saying they missed me and they would try again on Thursday. I was home all day Thursday and UPS never came near. I was home all day Friday, I saw the UPS truck down the street, they never came by. When I checked the online tracking it showed that the driver just didn't notice the package in the truck, so didn't attempt a delivery. [Mad] I called their customer service department and explained everything that happened. I asked if I could just pick it up and save everyone the trouble, but it was already on the truck for Monday, so if I wanted to pick it up it would have to wait until Tuesday. Gah!!!!! I asked who I could talk to in order to complain and she had the nerve to ask, "Complain about what?"

And they say customers are the worst part of customer service. [shake head]

Edit: Oh, and congrats on the iBook! [thumbsup]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Groggle
Mini Geek
Member # 2360

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 25, 2005 14:01      Profile for Groggle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UPS did the same stupid routine to me last time I dealt with them.

I wasn't impressed then either. The business of keeping packages on the truck for next day is complete nonsense - not only is it insecure, but it also makes it impossible for the crew at their depot to know where things are. (It will show on their systems as "in depot")

My guess is that UPS will find its lunch eaten by FedEx and Purolator if they don't clean up their internal logistics. (I love the store-front locations Purolator's using - they drop things there, and you just pick them up the next day - no fuss, no bother! - great for those of us that have to work for a living)

Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted March 25, 2005 14:22      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have an interesting shipping story.
I was waiting for my iBook to come back from repair (MLB failure) about a year ago, and it was ~8pm and Airborne still hadn't shown up. I called, and they said that they weren't sure what was up, but put me on hold and radioed the driver, etc. and found out that the truck was involved in a car accident and the driver was in an ambulance on the way to the hospital. They appologized and explained that this wouldn't fall under their service guarantee, but they'd get it to me ASAP.

Two hours later a civic pulled into my driveway and this guy who looked like he just came off the tarmac at an airport with a DHL badge handed me my ibook.

Now THAT was amazing (on the good side of things)

GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted March 25, 2005 15:55      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's even more amazing is how a truck could fit inside an ambulance. [Big Grin]
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted March 25, 2005 20:15      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone else smell propane?

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture