homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » license plate rant (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: license plate rant
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 17, 2005 13:52      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does it drive anyone else up the wall - trying to figure out just what a vanity license plate is supposed to mean? I had one on the way to work. It took me 3 blocks to figure out what they were trying to be clever about.
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 17, 2005 14:26      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope. I pretty much ignore the ones that aren't obvious and move along.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 17, 2005 15:37      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a good one on a farmers ute ('pickup truck' for furriners).

The plate simply read 'EIEIO'.

The farmers name?

McDonald.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
jordanv
Assimilated
Member # 3189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 17, 2005 16:14      Profile for jordanv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best license plate I saw was on a red Honda Accord Euro.

It wasn't actually a vanity plate but a normal random one.

SAM-666

Since religous plates are banned, and they stop them randomly being assigned this one is unique.

I want it - the price will probably be ~ 10 k though. Oh well.

Posts: 364 | From: a house (in Sydney) | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted March 17, 2005 18:38      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No-what drives me crazy is when I figure out what they're trying to say, but there is a much more clever combo of letters to say it! [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 17, 2005 20:43      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I'd like to get a custom plate that looks just like a regular one, but with hex values that can be unpacked to have some meaning. [Big Grin] This way, it's not standing out as something 'different' to cops, thieves, or anyone else, but I can be very happy in the knowledge that there's something deep in it. [Razz] And perhaps some other geek out there might notice a little something in the noise, and spend days trying to figure it out. [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted March 18, 2005 06:49      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I own a car popularly referred to with the single letter Z. One of the vanity plates I considered was a binary representation of the 7-bit ASCII character Z.

It's green, so I also considered "ZNESSNV".

I haven't gone through the effortto get a vanity plate, though.

Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 18, 2005 07:26      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Personally, I'd like to get a custom plate that looks just like a regular one, but with hex values that can be unpacked to have some meaning. [Big Grin] This way, it's not standing out as something 'different' to cops, thieves, or anyone else, but I can be very happy in the knowledge that there's something deep in it. [Razz] And perhaps some other geek out there might notice a little something in the noise, and spend days trying to figure it out. [Wink]

I've considered doing just that on many occasions:

6765656b (geek in hex)
6673636b (fsck in hex)

or h4x0r or g33k or something fun like that.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 18, 2005 07:40      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always said that if I ever got my dream car (a 1967 Ford Mustang convertible) I would get a vanity plate - "OLDASME".

[Smile]

Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted March 18, 2005 08:18      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My high school friend's was: YKNTIBU (think of a Cure song).

Another was: RUMYTYP.

The two plates I've had weren't too difficult to figure out: 1HOTVW and CHVYGAL.

Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 18, 2005 08:27      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I ever finish my turbo engine the way I want I will get a plate with either SHRMS62 or TRBOX2. That is if I ever get it done.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 18, 2005 10:42      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Black Widow:
My high school friend's was: YKNTIBU (think of a Cure song).

Took me ages to get that. (In fact, I ran around in circles 'til I ran out of breath. ) [Wink]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alephcat
Alpha Geek
Member # 2617

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 18, 2005 15:03      Profile for Alephcat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
while not a vanity plate as they do not exist here, our plate is J15FOY, my first initial and my last name.

--------------------
"You have the right to search in silence. If you give up the right to search in silence, anything you say can and will be modded down in a court of public opinion."

Posts: 300 | From: Chester | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 19, 2005 01:06      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm reminded of a Leunig cartoon I saw some years ago.

The picture is of a traffic jam, lots of stressed looking drivers sitting in their cars, going nowhere, and the number plates all read things like
"Impotent"
"Bedwetter"
"Premature ejaculator"

The caption below the picture read: Deeply Personalised Number Plates

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
applet
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 3746

Icon 1 posted March 19, 2005 13:28      Profile for applet         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best vanity plate I saw was on a maroon Cadillac DeVille. It said simply . . .

CRUELLA

HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted March 19, 2005 20:11      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then there's the danger of the plate being too correct
as in the recent news here .

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 19, 2005 21:17      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HalfVast: That's priceless!

BTW, great .sig. [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 19, 2005 21:23      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw a great one today. Very succinct. It just said

AAAAAAH

[Big Grin]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted March 20, 2005 10:19      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That reminds me of one I saw:

ahchoo

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted March 20, 2005 12:55      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remembered another one that had me stumped forever:

TODLKOS

It was "total chaos" until the moment it hit me. [shake head]

Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 20, 2005 13:57      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My license place reads LNXG33K.

No, really.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted March 21, 2005 06:04      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember seeing one on a particular make of Swedish cars: SNAAB.
Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 21, 2005 06:10      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did anyone here ever see that show 'bumper stumpers'? It was based entirely off of those types of personalised plates.. it was a gameshow.

In today's day and age with text messaging, I'm pretty sure that there'd be no point, since everyone can probably read that stuff like a second language now. :S

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 21, 2005 07:24      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We do not have personalised number plates here, but I always wanted the plate:

"SW 155"

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted March 21, 2005 08:51      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
Did anyone here ever see that show 'bumper stumpers'? It was based entirely off of those types of personalised plates.. it was a gameshow.

Worst.
Show.
Ever.

(Since Definition)

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture