homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Just tried Mepis, a new Linux Distro

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Just tried Mepis, a new Linux Distro
crazyarlo
Geek
Member # 1226

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted March 15, 2005 08:44      Profile for crazyarlo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW! I have been trying many new Linux distros over the years, trying to find something to replace Windows for my poor, suffering, Windows friends! This may be it!!! MEPIS!

Partitioning was much easier, the bootloader worked the first time correctly, it recognized my monitor, found my TCP/IP printer, the network browser WORKS, the package manager WORKS and is easy to use, it has Realplayer, Firefox, an MP3 player, Acrobat reader, and digikam for Photo management, AND it comes as a live CD that you can install after you try it!

This is the first time I have tried a Linux distro that I think I can give to poor, suffering Windows users who are EXTREMELY frustrated but don't want to buy a new system.

So far, there at three of us here testing this, on various systems, and so far, it has really worked great!

Now, many of you may just LOVE Windows, and that's cool, this is America and all, but when those virus laden, spyware affected friends come to you, and they just have had it, but won't buy a Mac, MAYBE, just MAYBE Mepis can help them! Its at mepis.org

YAHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Posts: 238 | From: Southern Ohio ... SURF OHIO, BABY! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 15, 2005 09:07      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.xandros.com/

That is all.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
crazyarlo
Geek
Member # 1226

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted March 15, 2005 09:44      Profile for crazyarlo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dude. I am gonna check that one out too, thanks!
Posts: 238 | From: Southern Ohio ... SURF OHIO, BABY! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 15, 2005 10:12      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is America? Actually, it's Canada you're in right now.

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
crazyarlo
Geek
Member # 1226

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted March 15, 2005 10:17      Profile for crazyarlo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, hell yes, I forgot!!! But, people in Canada get to exercise their right of Operating System Choice too!!! Yahoo!!

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture