homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » over and done with (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: over and done with
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2005 01:23      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations!

Oh to be starting a PhD, the sense of expectation, the eagerness, the joy of discovery.

Now, can anyone explain TRS step scan interferometry or why they use lock in amplifiers to me?

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2005 03:00      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xanthine ________CONGRATULATIONS__________

Why does that word always look wrong?

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2005 06:22      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr. Rat? Hmm, no.

Dr. Labrat? Already used, and... hmm, no.

Dr. Xanthine? Almost.

Dr. X? Yeah! That's it.

Go get 'em, (future) Dr. X! [thumbsup]

Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2005 06:29      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in Spungo's boat.. trying so hard not to make an oral joke. [Wink]

CONGRATS LABRATLADY! [Smile]

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doco

SuperFan!
Member # 371

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2005 06:41      Profile for Doco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow - congratulations on passing (and faking them all out!)

So on a related tangent to all of this for each of you - why did you decide to go beyond the standard bachelors degree (or it's equivalent) or why did you not go on? The reason I ask is that I'm struggling with the notion of going back to work on my masters, but can't ever seem to get my ass in gear to actually get the process going.

Posts: 419 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
rw

Member # 590

Icon 14 posted January 28, 2005 07:08      Profile for rw   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations! And remember that all those scary department heads and professors and such have been through this too, and they want you to succeed. (And when this is all over, people will think you're scary, too, and won't that be fun!)
Posts: 429 | From: Kirkland, Wash. (US of A) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2005 07:26      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations!!!!!!!!! WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!! YAY YAY YAY YAY!!!!!!!!!!!

Doco - why did I pursue a degree after earning a BA? Simple. I really enjoyed the subject material. I didn't make it as far as Xan, but I did love research psych enough to at least try for my PhD. I wish I had advisors like hers though. [Smile]

Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2005 08:24      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doco:
So on a related tangent to all of this for each of you - why did you decide to go beyond the standard bachelors degree (or it's equivalent) or why did you not go on? The reason I ask is that I'm struggling with the notion of going back to work on my masters, but can't ever seem to get my ass in gear to actually get the process going.

Considering I've been through that decision not so long ago... I didn't go on with graduate studies right after my bachelor 'cause I wanted money to repay my debths and get some for myself. But I was in your position, wanting to, but can't decide. Then my boss gave me documents about a local university, and I thought "What the heck, I can try and see what happens!" So I did, got conditional admission, completed the condition, and here I am, almost done with the courses and about to begin the project, even if I'm doing it part-time.

So, just ask yourself: what can you loose trying? Grab an occasion, jump in, and enjoy! The first step is the hardest to take, but after that, it's really easy to go on!

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2005 10:42      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doco, strangely enough, I'd decided on this path before I finished high school. I've always wanted to do research independently, and in bioscience you really can't head up your own projects unless you're a PhD. Going beyond a bachelor's wasn't somehting I ever thought about too hard. I just sorta knew it had to be done to get what I wanted, and as yet i have no regrets, even though my classmates who joined the work force make twice as much as I do. After all, they'll never get to play with the toys I'm learning to use.

quote:
Originally posted by littlefish:
Congratulations!

Oh to be starting a PhD, the sense of expectation, the eagerness, the joy of discovery.

The uncontrollable desire to bang your head through a wall...

Oh wait, if my senior coworkers are anything to go by, that never goes away...

The prayers and sacrifices to the crystallization gods...no, that never seems to stop either.

You people who work with molecules small enough to powder diffract are lucky. Expecially if you can just get your phases ab initio.

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2005 12:00      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The uncontrollable desire to bang your head through a wall...

Oh wait, if my senior coworkers are anything to go by, that never goes away...

Trust me, it increases. And powder diffraction is only good if the machine isn't an old POS that is more often broken than fixed.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doco

SuperFan!
Member # 371

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2005 12:19      Profile for Doco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My current area of software development doesn't really require anything beyond the bachelors, which is why I stopped there (and the lure of $ when I was finishing didn't hurt). Now I am teaching a grad class at a private university, and am thinking that I could see myself doing that full time as a "retirement" job at some point in the future. Only problem is that for most places teaching requires you to have that higher degree.

The real bummer for me is that I assume I would have to go the thesis route on the Masters so I could eventually go on to higher and deeper. I really like the research part and learning more stuff in depth, but it seems like half of the whole thesis thing is playing the academic political games. yuck.

Glad this topic came up because my head is starting to hurt while I try and get this !#[email protected] algorithm to converge. Maybe the walls in school are softer than my desktop here.... [Wink]

sumnchai
Geek Apprentice
Member # 3262

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2005 19:37      Profile for sumnchai     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So could I get help from you, Xanthine, if I need it with organic? [Big Grin] UMass professors are nicea and all... but they don't have a lot of time to spare. [Razz]

--------------------
[img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style3,Anal-spc-Orgies.png[/img]

My Photos

Posts: 47 | From: Amherst, MA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2005 19:50      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Somehow I suspect Xanthine is not going to find herself short of things to do, either [Wink]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doco

SuperFan!
Member # 371

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2005 20:58      Profile for Doco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
Quote of the day: "I like my women without arms or breasts"

Quote of the day - can't be - Google doesn't find it.....

Not to mention that is just plain sick! Have you been hanging out with Spungo??? [Wink]

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2005 22:15      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2005 22:23      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Umm, good thing I work at a place that advertises bosom augmentation and stuff like that 'cause your quote would automatically make GC NSFW.

You disappoint me, CSK! [Frown]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2005 22:40      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
Somehow I suspect Xanthine is not going to find herself short of things to do, either [Wink]

No, actually, I won't be short of things to do at all. My boss wants to talk to me next week about a side project. It relates to my thesis only in that it involves a riboswitch. It'll be very cool if we can get it to pan out (optical tweezers anyone?) but I'm not sure the apparatus is as reliable as my boss thinks it is. Nor am I sure my cloning skills are as 1337 as he thinks they are. But it'll be one awesome paper if we can get it to work and it'll be something to do while I'm trying to make a good crystal grow for my real project. And I must confess I'm kinda excited about using a technique as bleeding edge as this one.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 29, 2005 20:57      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yay for you Xanthine! Science research seems like a field I might want to into...either that or mathematics, but a degree in mathematics seems sort of impractical unless you're going to teach it :/

But that aside, w00t!!

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
sosumi
Uber Geek
Member # 1106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 29, 2005 21:40      Profile for sosumi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Woo yay Xanthine!
Congratulations! [Big Grin]

Posts: 845 | From: Boston | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2005 19:23      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
supergoo, I don't know if you watch West Wing or not, but there was an episode called Isaac and Ishmael. A description of the episode can be found here, but it is kinda skimpy on the important part.

Basically, a White House policy analyst named Wazir Ali is suspected of being a terrorist, and Leo McGarry asks him "what is an applied mathematics major from MIT doing working on policy for the White House?". The point of the guy's response was that not only does majoring in math mean that's your only interest, it shouldn't limit you.

College does teach skills that can be valuable in the workplace - more importantly, though, it teaches you how to learn, how to think critically, and how to deal with the real world (note: that's not the only way to learn those things).

This is a bit of a tender spot with me, in case you can't tell. I'm about to major in CS at a math/science oriented university (which one depends on where I get in). People hear this and seem to forget that I am also a politics and international relations nut.

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted January 31, 2005 02:16      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I just keep on turning up late to the party.

As no-one has done it yet, a big woot for the Lady Labrat.

wOOOOOOOOOOOt!!!

Actually, greycat, it is not Dr.X, but Lady X. [Wink] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2005 12:03      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lady X, Dr. X...either way it sounds kinda sinister. [Razz]

Goo, my dad got his bachelor's in mathematics and became a lawyer. His stance is that math teaches you how to use logic. I used to know someone who was, after completeing his biochem PhD, going to go to law school and become a patent lawyer. I think the mistake people make, and I make it too, is they don't look far enough downstream with respect to degrees and majors and all that. You can be pretty creative with what you get on your diploma. After all, you learn three things in college: facts, skills, and, more importantly, how to think.

Also, if you pick a major that's wrong for you you're going to be a miserable human being the entire time you're in college. I've seen it happen.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture