homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » On a train

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: On a train
Number 2608
Mini Geek
Member # 2608

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 22, 2004 10:47      Profile for Number 2608     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on a GNER train travelling between Leeds and London, connecting to the internet via the train's wireless network. Finally, something on the British railways that almost works. Even if the connection is very slow and the coverage is not too great in places.

Merry christmas to everyone in advance, as I am very unlikely to post again in the near future.

Posts: 82 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Twinkle Toes
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1208

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 22, 2004 10:57      Profile for Twinkle Toes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well at least you're honest. I've never been on a train, I hope you're having fun. And Happy Festivus!
Posts: 1617 | From: a membrane near you! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 22, 2004 11:15      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had the same experience between Edinburgh & Darlington, they call it mobile office, it's free in 1st class and they charge 2nd Class (coach) passengers 7.95 GBP (15 USD) for 2 hours, which consequently is about the amount of time it takes to check your mail.

Fortunately I tried it for free as I'd have been really pissed off if I'd had to pay for it. I don't object to paying for WiFi, when you have too [Wink] but if I do I want decent bandwidth

Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 22, 2004 11:41      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And now I have this song by "The Balancing Act" in my head

A Girl, Her Sister and a Train -

I ran into a pretty girl
And her sister
We were on a train
The train was burning
Up the tracks
Their hair fell in their eyes
And down their backs
A girl, her sister and a train...

They came from Canada
Southwest Ontario
Every time they talked to me
It sounded like stereo
We crossed plains and mountain ranges
Salt flats covered in snow
We saw ten thousand places
Hiways never go

We waited in the field
Beside the station
The girls were real
Was the train just our imagination?
The sun dropped behind a bluff
We sang a folksong
I held them in my arms
As the train rolled all night long
Lovers drift together
Traverlers drift apart
Our roads will end forever
Right back where they started

If you won't lvoe me
In your house on the hill
I know for all my life
These sisters will

Words and music by Jeff Davis

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted December 22, 2004 12:54      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm thinking of Strangers On A Train. [evil]
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 22, 2004 13:29      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It just reminded me of "I'm on a plain" by Nirvana.

(train rhymes with plain, and I also think planes, trains and automobiles, which puts it all together in my head -- don't ask, I'm weird that way.)

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 22, 2004 14:12      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
It just reminded me of "I'm on a plain" by Nirvana.

(train rhymes with plain, and I also think planes, trains and automobiles, which puts it all together in my head -- don't ask, I'm weird that way.)

Hmm, and your aside reminded me of Radiohead's "Let Down." ('Transport, motorways & tramlines...starting up and stoping...taking off and landing...)

/me using iTunes kickass Spotlight feature to zoom to it...

The single best thing I have just found in iTunes 4.7...stowed away in Preferences -> Advanced -- "Minimize iTunes window to system tray." I've been wanting that for quite some time, and just discovered it the other day - it was such a waste of taskbar space (particularly since I use FoxyTunes).

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted December 22, 2004 14:27      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've only been on a train once in my life and it was in France [crazy]
Go figure.

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 22, 2004 15:14      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm blessed to live near a lot of trains. Amtrak's Lancaster station is less than a mile from my house, so during university, I rode Greyhound to Harrisburg from State College, then took the train to Lancaster. Before I bought my car, I took the train to Philly to visit my sister at her university down there.

Strasburg Railroad and the Train Museum is about half-an-hour away from me. That's fun, too.

I'd put the links in there for y'all, but I'm too lazy right now to do it! [Razz]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 23, 2004 05:08      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I worked in Lausanne, I used to take the train to work everyday.

Then again I do live in Switzerland, where you set your watches to the trains.

Last year was a bad year for Swiss trains, only 98% kept to schedule.

Then we have the nifty trams in Geneva as well.

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 23, 2004 06:20      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've taken VIA/Amtrak from Toronto to NY (and back.)

I've taken the LIRR across New York.

I've taken Go Transit through Toronto a few times.

I've been on Toronto's subway system a few thousand times.

And I've taken VIA from Montreal to Toronto

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 23, 2004 11:23      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I dated the artist, we had dreams of traveling all over the US and Canada solely by rail. Once I have some money and have accrued enough time to take off, I'm going to try it some year, hopefully in the near future.

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 23, 2004 12:28      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
When I dated the artist, we had dreams of traveling all over the US and Canada solely by rail. Once I have some money and have accrued enough time to take off, I'm going to try it some year, hopefully in the near future.

I wouldn't bother.

An aussie journalist recently wrote an article about his train trip across the USA, it was far from complimentary about the service. Imagine several days in a train with a faulty effluent tank..... *shudder*

I often use the local trains here in oz, and when I was in the UK I was in a job that required frequent visits to client sites, and weekly visits to the Manchester office of my employer, so I got to travel all over the British Rail system at someone elses expense.

That was before the days of internet access on trains, but I had a offline email/newsgroup reader on my laptop, so I'd dial up in the morning, get the updates on the newsgroups I subscribed to, spend the train trip reading and replying, then dial up when I got to a phone and upload my replies. All while the meter was running, as I got paid for travel time. [thumbsup] Some weeks I got paid more for playing around on the internet than Mrs Druid was making as a teacher.

Trains are a good way to see Europe, you can get on a train in Paris in the evening, and get off in Berlin the following morning, so it's actually a very efficient use of time, and you see more of the countryside than you will from a plane.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 23, 2004 14:19      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I want to get a EuRail (sp?) pass too....Amtrak to Vancouver, Canadian rail as far East as possible, then fly over to one of the Scandinavian countries and work my way South by rail. Only thing is, while I don't go nuts about my hair and makeup, I do insist on daily showers and clean underwear. That might pose some problems. [Frown]

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 23, 2004 18:17      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too bad you're not talking about touring Japan, or else some of your problems would be easily solved. [Razz]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 23, 2004 18:27      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They pay good money for curvy blonds with glasses in Japan? Or they have on-the-street-corner showers and laundromats a la Amsterdam?

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 23, 2004 20:03      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How shall I put this delicately ?

According to some reports, Japan has a thriving market in 'used' female underwear.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 23, 2004 20:45      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dude, I was talking about the vending machines that sell clean stuff.

Friggin' ecchi stuff, man...

--------------------

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 23, 2004 21:46      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what word is "ecchi" supposed to be? "icky"?

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 23, 2004 21:49      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
what word is "ecchi" supposed to be? "icky"?

No, it's Japanese.* Pretty close, though. I'll refrain from explaining the meaning. [Smile]

*Coincidence? I think not.

--------------------

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 23, 2004 22:00      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol. You're funny

looking. [Big Grin]

--------------------

macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 24, 2004 10:56      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:

I've taken Go Transit through Toronto a few times.

GO Train... Who the hell gives goats their own mass transit system!!!! [evil] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 24, 2004 11:19      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Dude, I was talking about the vending machines that sell clean stuff.

Friggin' ecchi stuff, man...

I like my version better [evil]

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture