homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » CommanderShroom's wild ride

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: CommanderShroom's wild ride
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted December 16, 2004 08:21      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well boys and girls, let me tell y'all a little story about weather reports and heeding certain notices.

Momma agreed to take the little one to the sitter's today since the temps are in the 70's today. This morning as I rose from bed I checked out the local weather report. Here is what I read...

quote:
Thursday: Sunny, Northeast winds of 32 mph with gusts as high as 54 mph in some surrounding canyons and passes, high of about 74F.
Now when you live in the Inland Empire of Cali. you pay attention to wind. It is not an unusual event to hear of semis being blown over from the "Santa Ana" winds. But myself, in my infinite wisdom, said "Ah, what the hell" and rode anyway.

And when the wheels on your bike scoot five feet across the pavement without your O.K. you begin to worry. And the wind threatened to take off the back of my bike and give me a comfortable resting at the front of incoming traffic.

I am planning on taking another trip to a neighboring town, about 17 miles from here, in a couple of hours. But I guess the simple fact is I didn't buy a motorcycle for safety reasons. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 16, 2004 08:30      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I've almost been knocked off my bicycle in the "chinooks" that come blowing off the mountains but...yikes. That's pretty ugly Shroom. Just don't find yourself in a place where the land and buildings are acting like a wind tunnel on a day like this.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted December 16, 2004 09:47      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would love to have 74 degree wheather here. Right now it's 273 k, 32 f or 0 c Take your pick.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 16, 2004 10:19      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know about that Minnesota weather, don'cha know. Oh ya, my brother is over near Breck by North Dakota. [Big Grin]

We spent X-mas there a couple of years back. -12 WTF?!? You people actually want to be there?

I told them that maybe we would come down in the summer. "No the humidity will get to you."

How about Spring? "No the mosquitos will eat you alive."

Fall? "Same as spring."

Do you guys ever have a decent season? [Razz]

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted December 16, 2004 10:32      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No we don't

I've always lived here. I'm moving in 12 days to Sioux Falls SD. I think it's about the same in SD as it is in MN. [cry baby]

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 16, 2004 10:53      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depends. The western side of SD is a lot less humid and Wyoming-like than the eastern side. But the winters will still suck ass.

This tidbit was brought to you by Xanthine, the road-tripping labrat.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
FireStar
Maximum Newbie
Member # 3142

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 16, 2004 12:42      Profile for FireStar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mac D:
I would love to have 74 degree wheather here. Right now it's 273 k, 32 f or 0 c Take your pick.

Wow. It's 0 C and you're complaining? Up here it's +3C (37 F), expecting to reach +6 and people are wearing shorts. Gotta love El Nino! Normally it's high of -7, low of -18, so this is awesome! In a normal year, I'd give anything for 0!

My stepdad made plans to make a skating rink in our back yard for my brother and sister, but had to scrap the idea, as we've had only about a week below freezing.

--------------------
"We both know that this notion of human equality perpetuates mediocrity. But we're not mediocre, are we, Miss Parker? We're independent - and independence - that's a privilege of the strong. Tell me, Miss Parker, how strong are you?" - Mr. Lyle

Posts: 10 | From: The Frozen North (Canada) | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 16, 2004 14:21      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Made it back from that trip. Going there was fun. 90+ with the tail wind. Coming back was more interesting. I rode the last 5 miles drafting behind a Toy Hauler on the I-10. Wheee.

Still any day is a good day to ride. Middle of December and I am out on a motorcycle. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 17, 2004 05:46      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish I was carrying a camera yesterday when I went home.

The area where I live is in a valley surrounded by low mountains. Where I work is at the top of one in a pass between two higher mountains. That is one of the major reasons for the winds we get. The warm desert air mixes with the colder mountain air.

Anyway, as I turned the last bend to dip into out valley I looked down to see a mother of a sand storm. The wind was howling through the foothill areas and was picking up everything it could. There were clouds of dirt visible from about 2-3 miles away. At first I thought it was a fire.

To see such a thing is beautiful, a couple miles away that is. When you get down into the middle of it, it just sucks. I was about fifteen miutes late getting home last night. I had to pull over and get a little shelter for a few minutes to knock the sand out of my teeth.

Truth is, riding in that weather is very scary. I could feel my heart pounding in my chest. You know if you don't react correctly, well you and your bike are going down. Kind of a man against nature thing. It is after you make it home that is the nice part of it. The adrenaline lasted for about 15 minutes after I got in and then... I was tired. My back is still aching.

I am pretty sure that I am driving today.
quote:
Today: Sunny. Areas of blowing dust. East wind 35 gusting to 62 mph. High 75.

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted December 17, 2004 09:04      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Morning before last it was a whole 17 degrees Fahrenheit.

Now I wouldn't have minded so much...

but in North Carolina!?

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
californiarockr
Assimilated
Member # 1986

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2004 08:24      Profile for californiarockr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yah. my car is averaged weight, not light like a civic, but its no tanking 80s benz either. Anyways a couple of weeks ago I got pushed through 1.5 lanes on the freeway. it was exciting, espescially as it had just rained and my car has none of the new hi tech traction control dohickeys...

fun stuff

--------------------
lol

Posts: 361 | From: guess... :/ | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2004 08:41      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
californiarockr,

I know you are coming from. I know you are around my side of the country. Who knows maybe only a couple of hours from where I call home.

But 1.5 lanes? Did someone hit you? No offense is meant, I just can't concieve that. Even on two wheels I never left my lane. I just dropped speed like a rock. And my cars are not what you call side wind friendly. The sides are shaped like sails, and when I get hit by a crosswind I know it. Hey I drive the first car to ever be tried by a jury.

Traction control, who needs it. Hang on and hammer the gas. You made me think of the ride home last night. I had some kid in a Civic trying to keep up with me. By all rights I should have gotten my doors blown off. Even stock a mid 90's Honda has more HP, gears and a higher top speed. And this guy was trying to at least make it look fast. Carbon fiber front clip, lowered, coffee can exhaust. And I smoked him coming down the mountain in a 42 yr old Corvair with a 3 spd manual, pushed by an 80 hp engine.

Then again, I am not very impressed by drivers nowadays. They are too divorced from their vehicles. And it seems like the things they use to make a car safer creates a worse driver. Create a better driver and safety equip. becomes moot.

And being a constant traveler on the I-10 you are lucky that you came out in one piece. To hop that many lanes could have been death sentence. Especially if it was during the high traffic times. Ride safe.

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

Twinkle Toes
Member # 1208

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 19, 2004 01:07      Profile for Twinkle Toes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When my mom and I were crossing the country we encountered a hail storm, flood, tornado, and a wild fire. The flood wasn't too exciting. The hail storm hurt [ohwell] . The tornado was fun - we were zig-zagging all over the road. Thankfully there weren't any other cars around, and the tornado was only medium-sized (it passed over the road infront of us though). The wild fire was the worst. It was in Montana, and because of the ample forest land we had to wait several hours for more fire trucks to arrive until we could get on the freeway. We had to keep indoors because there was so much smoke, though after a few hours it didn't seem to make a difference... I felt like I was trapped in a jar with a cigarette.

My mom and I also passed by many 'sand tornados' on our way to Pullman (eastern WA., near the border of ID.). There were a few big ones, but most were babies. Sometimes I underestimated the distance between us and got yelled at for having the window down. It was the first time I'd ever seen a sand tornado, I wanted the full experience!

Posts: 1617 | From: a membrane near you! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 19, 2004 02:42      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, my suburb just got hit by a decent hailstorm. Even made the news. Fortunately no property damage at my place, at least that I've noticed.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 19, 2004 03:20      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
Well, my suburb just got hit by a decent hailstorm. Even made the news. Fortunately no property damage at my place, at least that I've noticed.

Jeez, I'm glad I live somewhere with crap weather, don't think I could stand all that good weather you get in Sin City. [evil]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Oz, the Wizard of
Highlie
Member # 1454

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 19, 2004 17:49      Profile for Oz, the Wizard of   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<obligatory alaskan weather post>
Man, it's only 4f right now! Weak!
</obligatory alaskan weather post>

Posts: 707 | From: The Emerald City | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 19, 2004 19:26      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i remember last year when it hit the -F here in CT, i think one day it was in the -20s if not lower.

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 19, 2004 20:09      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do you make the degree symbol on a PC? [Smile]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 19, 2004 21:06      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
How do you make the degree symbol on a PC? [Smile]

The HTML to produce a degree symbol is
code:
&deg;

You can just type this into UBB

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
klynn
Mini Geek
Member # 3019

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted December 19, 2004 23:37      Profile for klynn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My father owns a motorcycle garage. Has built and had the business for 30+ years. I can safely say that the mentality of those who ride is on a different plane of existence... [crazy]

Of course, it usually isn't the rider's antics one has to worry about...it's the elements and those idiots ridin' on 4 or more wheels!

--------------------
Caution: Comments may or may not reflect the actual opinions of the author.

Posts: 62 | From: USA - Saint Albans | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2004 10:13      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alephcat
Alpha Geek
Member # 2617

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2004 16:42      Profile for Alephcat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mac D:
I would love to have 74 degree weather here. Right now it's 273 k, 32 f or 0 c Take your pick.

You jammy sods only having to put up with 74 degree weather, we get 360 degree weather here [Wink] [Razz]

--------------------
"You have the right to search in silence. If you give up the right to search in silence, anything you say can and will be modded down in a court of public opinion."

Posts: 300 | From: Chester | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture