homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » SFGate.com... Canada goes to hell

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: SFGate.com... Canada goes to hell
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted December 15, 2004 16:34      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2004/12/15/notes121504.DTL&nl=fix

a fun read. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Twinkle Toes
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1208

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted December 15, 2004 18:49      Profile for Twinkle Toes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YES! I absolutely love it. I'm printing that out and giving it to my schoolmates [Smile] .

"Heathens!"

Posts: 1617 | From: a membrane near you! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 15, 2004 21:55      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a bunch of America Haters they are at sfgate.com ! [Wink]

So, the obvious question is, if a gay USian couple drive north of the border and tie the knot, will their marriage be legally recognised in the US ?

Could be a whole new industry for Canada.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
FireStar
Maximum Newbie
Member # 3142

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 15, 2004 23:53      Profile for FireStar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL, that's awesome! Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to smoke some legal pot before my wedding to my female life-partner and stick to Ralph Klein.

Just kidding about the pot and wedding, but the article is great!

--------------------
"We both know that this notion of human equality perpetuates mediocrity. But we're not mediocre, are we, Miss Parker? We're independent - and independence - that's a privilege of the strong. Tell me, Miss Parker, how strong are you?" - Mr. Lyle

Posts: 10 | From: The Frozen North (Canada) | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Groggle
Mini Geek
Member # 2360

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted December 16, 2004 08:19      Profile for Groggle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's hilarious!
Posts: 77 | From: Calgary | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
californiarockr
Assimilated
Member # 1986

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 16, 2004 12:44      Profile for californiarockr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
at least us san franciscans know we americans are fucked up. haha. oh well. im gonna keep an eye out for this writers other columns, hes good.

--------------------
lol

Posts: 361 | From: guess... :/ | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 16, 2004 13:59      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
So, the obvious question is, if a gay USian couple drive north of the border and tie the knot, will their marriage be legally recognised in the US ?

Not in many states. In this year's election a handful of states voted to define marriage as a union of a man and a woman and back in 1998? California decided not to recognize gay marriages performed in other states. Strange wording in that one. As I understand it, if we ever decide that gay marriage should be legal here then people married in California will have their union recognized, but a gay couple from Massachusetts wouldn't be. [ohwell]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted December 16, 2004 16:27      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your all gay!

/me drunk, hiding from the inlaws

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 16, 2004 18:01      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I understand there is a moderate conflict of interest in what I'm about to say because I agree with everything he said, and I'm a Canadian myself, I very much enjoy that guy's style of writing. I really enjoyed that article. The satirical, tongue-in-cheek self-mutilation with a side of humour (with a u.)

[Big Grin]

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted December 16, 2004 18:23      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My fav passage:

quote:
It's getting more confusing by the minute, isn't it? I mean, Canada now has legal medical pot and legal gay marriage and universal health care and no known terrorist enemies and a relatively successful multiparty political system. They also have, according to U.N.'s Human Development Index, one of the highest qualities of life in the world. All coupled with a dramatically reduced rate of gun violence and far better gun-control legislation than the U.S., despite having the exact same per capita rate of gun ownership and gun-sport enthusiasm.

What the hell? How is this possible? Why aren't they scared to death like whiny red-state Americans? Why don't they want to kill each other along with anything that might threaten their access to televised hockey and cheap beer and yummy poutine?

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 16, 2004 20:08      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
Your all gay!

Actually, your all gay! [Razz] Or at least, legally able to forever be so. Huzzah, I can be cryptic *and* be in the appropriate righting style!.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted December 16, 2004 20:28      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:
Your all gay!

Actually, your all gay! [Razz] Or at least, legally able to forever be so. Huzzah, I can be cryptic *and* be in the appropriate righting style!.
Righting?

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 16, 2004 22:15      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:
Your all gay!

Righting?
Yeah, teh thing u do after tipping cows. You right them up a nice letter or 2.

P.S. Er...don't mind me, I'm just a bit tired and bored. The above typos were all completely deliberate (I kind of just went with the flow on 'righting'). [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture