homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Good news for the deer (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Good news for the deer
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 22, 2004 07:42      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
5 killed in shootout among deer hunters.

MINNEAPOLIS, MINN. - Five deer hunters died and three were injured on Sunday in an apparent shootout over who could occupy a hunting platform in a northwestern Wisconsin forest.

[shake head]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
N9IWP
Geek
Member # 1229

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 22, 2004 12:10      Profile for N9IWP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In a separate instance, someone died falling out of a treestand. I think there was another gun death too (accidental).

Usually most of the human deaths are heart attacks -- people who eat too much cheese & beer go on their one physical activity of the year. (I'm from Wisconsin so I can say that)

Brian

Posts: 181 | From: Southeast MN | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 22, 2004 12:27      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's my week for Tom Lehrer quotes [Wink]

<gun-nut>
This incident could have been averted, if only there'd been more guns on the scene
</gun-nut>

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 22, 2004 12:32      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love when gun lovers kill each other. I bet the deer were laughing their asses off.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted November 22, 2004 13:28      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's that supposed to mean? We like our guns here. We have the right to arm bears.

/Goes back to cleaning his gun.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Luke Skywalker
Assimilated
Member # 3096

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 22, 2004 16:34      Profile for Luke Skywalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just remember, guns dont kill people. People kill people. Guns are perfectly safe. As long as they arent pared with people.

--------------------
Use the Force, Luke.

Posts: 406 | From: The Line Between Time and Space | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 22, 2004 16:50      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Judging by the article, the guy who got charged was a camping lamer [Wink]
Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 22, 2004 17:23      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
Judging by the article, the guy who got charged was a camping lamer [Wink]

Not a happy camper, that's for sure.

5 people killed in a fight over a tree house.

Are they letting 3rd graders go out hunting alone these days?

/me wander off muttering .... a fscking tree house ....

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 22, 2004 17:38      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, for whatever reason, I always put hunters in a different category from gun nuts. Maybe my reasoning has been flawed.

Actually, having listened to NPR and read the news, I've come to conclusion that this was a bad combination of hunting rifles, stupidity and craziness. The shooter got lost in the woods (which is only semi-understandable...speaking as a seasoned outdoorsperson, if you don't know the area, you either travel with someone who does or brush up on your map and compass skills), stumbled onto private property, climbed into a privately owned hunting stand, and was then asked to leave by the owners of the platform. The shooter came down, started walking off, and then turned around and started shooting.

WTF?

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 22, 2004 18:25      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
You know, for whatever reason, I always put hunters in a different category from gun nuts. Maybe my reasoning has been flawed.

I think your reasoning is probably still valid. It seems that this guy can't really be classified as a "hunter"...at least as one is traditionally defined [shake head]

I know a few guys who hunt and I'd certainly not classify them as crazed gunloving nutjobs [Razz]

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 22, 2004 18:32      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hunting, in my part of the world is quiet legitimate. Moose, Caribou, Bear, Sheep (ours have handles, see below) people shoot them to eat. Me, I prefer to buy mine at the store all cleanly butchered and all. I don't wanna see the animal die, or have to cut it up meself. But there are a percentage of hunters who go just to shoot the hell out of things, so for me, I love to see them kill each other rather than a defenseless animal.

-

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 22, 2004 18:44      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I try to be nice to hunters. The vast majority are sensible and responsible, and sensible and responsible hunters are, believe it or not, some of the best friends conservationists like me have. When you think about it, it's not as oxymoronic as it sounds.

Poachers and idiots, OTOH, are a whole other story. This guy was an idiot. Would you beleive that after his shooting spree he then proceeded to get lost again?????

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 22, 2004 19:06      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I try to be nice to hunters. The vast majority are sensible and responsible, and sensible and responsible hunters are, believe it or not, some of the best friends conservationists like me have. When you think about it, it's not as oxymoronic as it sounds.

I'd agree, actually. As long as it's either used for food afterwards, or it's something in pest proportions that's legal to shoot (eg rabbits, kangaroos in some areas), then I don't have an issue. If people just want to shoot things, then they should head down to the target range, or the Deer Hunter game at their local video arcade.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 22, 2004 19:30      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most hunters I've met were in it either as pest control or for food. When they just want to shoot shit, they set up some cans on a fence rail and have at it.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 22, 2004 19:55      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh how I miss just shooting at things. Plates, cans, bottles, neighbors. [evil]

It's funny. As long as I live in Cali I probably won't ever own another gun. I grew up with and learned to use them at around 6 or 7. Though I have yet to see a reason to have one here in the middle of the IE.

Now if I went back to KY I would probably have one before the next deer season.

Hunters aren't all gun toting nutjobs. Gun toting nut jobs are usually hunters though. And from the ones I have met, usually are very bad at it. Too busy playing with the rifle or other weaponry and not attuned to what happens around them.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doco

SuperFan!
Member # 371

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 23, 2004 06:53      Profile for Doco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was hunting in Wisconsin this last weekend. Then I came home and Sunday evening turned on the news for the first time all weekend and basically had a "WTF" reaction myself. (Note - I don't live in WI anymore, but all my and my wife's extended families do and we hunt with them on family property)

I am surprised that this guy didn't get shot himself, but that probably shows how most of the hunters are very much against violence. It's the gun-control freaks that portray everyone that handles a gun as someone ready to shoot everything in sight.

Ok - enough soapbox on the gun control issue.....

Our group had a pretty successful opening weekend, and will continue the hunt this coming weekend, with Saturday probably being an all day "butchering" party where we cut and package all the meat. I am grateful that my kids still know where at least some of their food comes from (beyond the grocery store) and aren't afraid to watch an animal being field dressed or skinned.

Posts: 419 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 23, 2004 07:32      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The fact of the matter remains a bunch of people were willing to open fire on one another over a hunting spot.

To which I say, MORE OXYGEN FOR ME!

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 23, 2004 07:56      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not a bunch of people, one nut.

It is true that there are very legitimate reasons to own a gun. Too bad people like that create a need to increase the amount of legislation. Just like the parents that keep pistols in their bedroom without teaching their children to respect and control a firearm. This is the reason we have these kinds of accidents, and tragedies.

Like I said I learned to handle a rifle at an early age. And I never for one second doubted the danger of a gun. I even had the things hanging over the couch in the livingroom, loaded. I didn't mess around with them. I knew what they were capable of and also understood that they were not toys. This is the initial failing of those parents with guns hidden away. Their children begin to look at them as toys and things to show off to the neighbor kids and accidents happen.

If I ever decide to purchase a gun the first thing on my agenda is to teach my sons the danger of them and the proper way to handle them. I can't keep them from being curious, but I can teach them the proper safety.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 23, 2004 10:53      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with the others who have commented that this isn't an issue of a hunter going nuts, this is a nut going hunting.

A sixth hunter died yesterday. Also, it has been reported that the shooter was hunting with a semi-automatic assault rifle. And to think that the NRA is against gun control.

Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doco

SuperFan!
Member # 371

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 23, 2004 12:13      Profile for Doco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Prelude - I'm not an NRA member and won't be as they are a little nuts.... I am however a hunter and gun owner.

The "assault" weapon label is a little vague. I saw it reported that the suspect had an SKS rifle. A cheap rifle that was "outdated" years ago. But because it was cheap and a lot of them made, it was/is relatively popular and there are a lot of aftermarket parts and accesories available.

The now expired assult weapon ban may or may not have covered this weapon. I don't know if it had a large magazine, or a bayonet mount, etc.

Calling every semi-automatic weapon an assault gun is just wrong and I wish that reporters wouldn't do that. Hmmm - reading the latest story on Star Tribune site (Minneapolis paper) doesn't label it as an assault weapon any more. (earlier stories did).

Digging a little further I see that they now have a story about the SKS is not an assault rifle

In general - a semi-automatic weapon isn't any more dangerous than any other kind of weapon, but people sure seem to have a hang-up about "assault" weapons. I just wish those people could give me a good definition that didn't cover 90% of all hunting rifles.

Posts: 419 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Oz, the Wizard of
Highlie
Member # 1454

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted November 23, 2004 13:44      Profile for Oz, the Wizard of   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guns don't kill people...Kids who play videogames kill people!

I'm of the 'Nut with a gun' camp. Methinks there should be an IQ test along with a background check to buy a firearm.

That being said, I'd like to take a brief opportunity to freak everyone here out. I love the second amendment, and notably the lifted ban on assault weapons.

"Why would you think such a thing, being a radical liberal?!", you ask? Simple:
- I (and others like me) legally stockpile arms.
- The feds take one step too far in their 'revision' of the constitution.
- Revolution.

I believe in the second amendment because of the Right to Revolution. Sure, it's not in the constitution, but it ought to be. Particularly in the States today.

Granted, I haven't started on this plan yet, per se, but being a Faiakan, I do already own one firearm. [Wink]

...erm...don't kill me... [blush]

Posts: 707 | From: The Emerald City | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ivan
Alpha Geek
Member # 2622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 23, 2004 19:24      Profile for Ivan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a proud hunter and gun owner (well, my parents actually OWN the guns, but I they've designated some for my use). I'm sickened by the fact that a few bad apples have spoiled people's perceptions of gun owners and hunters. We're actually, nice, smart, agreeable people....for the most part.

I just started (deer) hunting recently, and my dad calls me the "luckiest damned hunter there is". He says this cause everytime I've been into the woods, I've walked back out with a deer. Usually in less than an hour. Quite a feat considering our scarce deer population.

Anyway, my pride and joys:
A pic of my first buck. Nine points, and easily the largest deer in my neck of the woods.
And a pic of my second buck. This was an 8 pointer, but the angle is terrible, so it looks like a 6 pointer.

Posts: 269 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 23, 2004 20:14      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oz, the Wizard of:

I'm of the 'Nut with a gun' camp. Methinks there should be an IQ test along with a background check to buy a firearm.

That being said, I'd like to take a brief opportunity to freak everyone here out. I love the second amendment, and notably the lifted ban on assault weapons.

"Why would you think such a thing, being a radical liberal?!", you ask? Simple:
- I (and others like me) legally stockpile arms.
- The feds take one step too far in their 'revision' of the constitution.
- Revolution.

I believe in the second amendment because of the Right to Revolution. Sure, it's not in the constitution, but it ought to be. Particularly in the States today.

Granted, I haven't started on this plan yet, per se, but being a Faiakan, I do already own one firearm. [Wink]

...erm...don't kill me... [blush]

You know, the only time I've ever seen a civilian out in public with a holstered gun sticking out from their hip was in Talkeetna. The guy carrying the gun was buying a hotdog. What made me notice was the holster was in camoflage... Maybe it was for bears. Or maybe it was for the rowdy mountaineers that overrun the place during climbing season.

Actually, one could argue that the right to revolution is guranteed by the ninth amendment. And Jefferson himself said the revolution is a healthy thing... That said, I'm not sure I could ever bring myself to kill another human being, unless my own life was being threatened at the moment I killed them.

Now, my question for you, Alaska boy, is have you ever pointed your firearm out the window and tried to shoot something?

--------------------
- The Decemberists

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 23, 2004 21:30      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Jefferson himself said the revolution is a healthy thing...

These days, there are detention camps to deal with dangerous terrorists like him.

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 23, 2004 22:34      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oz, the Wizard of:

I know you're joking, Oz, but I love it when people use this line of logic. It's then time to trot out the statistic about serial killers who often start out abusing animals, and conclude that we should ban domesticated animals since they turn people into serial killers. The logic is equally as sound

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture